The Cisco® MDS 9134 Multilayer Fabric Switch (Figure 1), designed for midrange to large enterprise customers, provides line-rate 4-Gbps and 10-Gbps ports based on a purpose-built “switch-on-a-chip” application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) with high performance, high density, and enterprise-class availability. The switch offers outstanding value by providing flexibility, high-availability, security, and ease of use at an affordable price in a compact one-rack-unit (1RU) form factor. With the flexibility to expand from 24 to 32 ports in 8-port increments and optionally activate 2 10-Gbps ports, the Cisco MDS 9134 offers the densities required for top-of-the-rack switch and edge connectivity in enterprise SANs. The Cisco MDS 9134 offers non-blocking architecture, with all 32 4-Gbps ports and the 2 10-Gbps ports operating at line rate concurrently.
The 10-Gbps ports support a range of optics for connection to the Cisco MDS 9000 family core using 10-Gbps Inter-Switch Link (ISL) connectivity. The Cisco MDS 9134 can also be stacked using copper CX4 X2 transceivers to cost effectively offer up to 64-port densities. The Cisco MDS 9134 supports quick configuration and task wizards that allow it to be deployed quickly and easily in networks of any size. Powered by Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS/SAN-OS Software, it includes advanced storage networking features and functions and is compatible with Cisco MDS 9500 Series Multilayer Directors and Cisco MDS 9200 Series Multilayer Fabric Switches, providing transparent, end-to-end service delivery in core-edge deployments.
● Exceptional flexibility and scalability: The Cisco MDS 9134 offers up to 32 autosensing Fibre Channel ports capable of speeds of 4, 2, and 1 Gbps and 2 10-Gbps ports in a compact 1RU form-factor chassis with 4 Gbps of dedicated bandwidth for each port and an aggregate platform bandwidth of 352 Gbps. Thebase configuration has 24 active ports with the flexibility to upgrade onsite to 32 ports in 8-port increments with Cisco MDS 9134 On-Demand Port Activation Licenses.
● High-performance connectivity: The 10-Gbps ports can be activated independently in 24- or 32-port configurations. The Cisco MDS 9134 is an ideal platform for a standalone departmental storage area network (SAN) switch, top-of-the-rack switch, and edge switch in enterprise core-edge SANs. Two Cisco MDS 9134 switches can be stacked together using copper CX4 X2 transceivers to form up to a 64-port switch.
● Intelligent storage networking services at an affordable price: The Cisco MDS 9134, powered by Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS/SAN-OS Software, offers intelligent storage networking capabilities such as virtual SANs (VSANs), PortChannels, quality of service (QoS), and security for cost-effective design, deployment, and management of departmental and enterprise SANs.
● Smart Zoning: When the Smart Zoning feature is enabled, Cisco MDS 9000 Family fabrics provision the hardware access control entries specified by the zone set more efficiently, avoiding the superfluous entries that would allow servers (initiators) to talk to other servers, or allow storage devices (targets) to talk to other storage devices. This feature makes larger zones with multiple initiators and multiple targets feasible without excessive consumption of hardware resources. Thus, smart zones can correspond to applications, application clusters, hypervisor clusters, or other data center entities, saving the time that administrators previously spent creating many small zones, and enabling the automation of zoning tasks.
● Highly available platform for mission-critical deployments: The Cisco MDS 9134 is designed for environments where downtime is unacceptable. It offers nondisruptive software upgrades, dual hot-swappable power supplies (with integrated fans for redundancy), hot-swappable fans, VSANs for fault isolation, and PortChannels for ISL resiliency.
● Comprehensive security framework: The Cisco MDS 9134 supports RADIUS and TACACS+, port security, fabric binding, Fibre Channel Security Protocol (FC-SP) host-to-switch and switch-to-switch authentication, Secure FTP (SFTP), Secure Shell Version 2 (SSHv2) and Simple Network Management Protocol Version 3 (SNMPv3) implementing Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), VSANs, hardware-enforced zoning, broadcast zones, and per-VSAN role-based access control (RBAC).
● Simplified storage management: The Cisco MDS 9134 includes built-in storage network management, with all features available through a command-line interface (CLI) or the Cisco Fabric Manager, a centralized management tool with task-based wizards that simplify management of a standalone switch or multiple switches and fabrics.
● IBM Fiber Connection (FICON) protocol integration: FICON Control Unit Port (CUP) management and switch cascading facilitate mainframe connectivity. VSANs allow hardware-based separation of Fibre Channel and FICON traffic switched on a single physical SAN, decreasing overall total cost of ownership (TCO) without compromising scalability, availability, manageability, or network security.
● Sophisticated diagnostics: Industry-leading intelligent diagnostics such as Fibre Channel Ping, Fibre Channel Traceroute, Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN), Cisco Fabric Analyzer, and integrated Call Home capability enhance reliability, facilitate faster problem resolution, and reduce service costs.
● Reduced TCO: Common platform architecture and the use of Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS/SAN-OS Software intelligent storage networking services across all Cisco MDS 9000 family switches reduce ongoing operating expenses by providing a consistent set of provisioning, management, and diagnostic capabilities.
The Cisco MDS 9134 offers up to 32 auto-sensing Fibre Channel ports capable of speeds of 4, 2, and 1 Gbps plus 2 10-Gbps ports in a compact 1RU form-factor chassis. With 4 Gbps of dedicated bandwidth for each port, the Cisco MDS 9134 is designed to meet the performance and scalability requirements of the most demanding environments.
The flexibility of the Cisco MDS 9134 is provided by the Cisco MDS 9134 On-Demand Port Activation License, which allows the addition of 4- and 10-Gbps ports. Customers can start with a base configuration of 24 ports and can upgrade onsite to 32 ports and also optionally add the 10-Gbps ports using the appropriate licenses. With advanced storage networking capabilities built into the platform, it is an ideal choice both as a standalone departmental SAN switch and as an edge switch in enterprise core-edge SANs.
The Cisco MDS 9134 includes hot-swappable, Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP), LC interfaces. All SFP interfaces are 4, 2, and 1 Gbps, with autosensing capabilities. Individual ports can be configured with either short- or long-wavelength SFP optics for connectivity up to 860 meters (m) and 10 kilometers (km), respectively. The 10‑Gbps ports support X2 form-factor optics, copper or optical.
VSAN, an industry standard for fabric virtualization capabilities, enables more efficient storage network use by creating hardware-based isolated environments within a single physical SAN fabric or switch. Up to 16 VSANs are supported per switch. Each VSAN can be zoned as a typical SAN and maintains its own fabric services and management domains for added scalability and resilience. VSANs allow the cost of SAN infrastructure to be shared among more users, while helping ensure segregation of traffic and retaining independent control of configuration on a VSAN-by-VSAN basis.
The Cisco MDS 9134 supports IBM zSeries FICON and Linux environments. Qualified by IBM for attachment to all FICON-enabled devices in an IBM zSeries operating environment, the switch supports transport of the FICON protocol in cascaded fabrics, as well as intermix of FICON and open systems Fibre Channel Protocol (FCP) on the same switch.
VSANs simplify intermix of SAN resources between z/OS, mainframe Linux, and open systems environments, enabling increased SAN utilization and simplified SAN management. VSAN-based intermix mode eliminates the uncertainty and instability often associated with zoning-based intermix techniques. VSANs also greatly reduce the probability that a misconfiguration or component failure in one VSAN will affect operation in other VSANs.
VSAN-based management access control simplifies partitioning of SAN management responsibilities between mainframe and open systemsenvironments, enhancing security. FICON VSANs can be managed using the integrated Cisco Fabric Manager; the Cisco CLI; or IBM CUP-enabled management tools, including IBM SA/390, Resource Measurement Facility (RMF), and Dynamic Channel PathManagement (DCM).
● For 4-Gbps ports, each port group consisting of 4 ports has a pool of 64 buffer credits, with a default of 16 buffer credits per port. When extended distances are required, up to 64 buffer credits can be allocated to a single port within the port group. This extensibility is available without additional licensing. Each of the 10‑Gbps ports has 64 buffer credits.
● PortChannels allow users to aggregate up to 16 physical ISLs into a single logical bundle, providing optimized bandwidth use across all links. The bundle can consist of any port from the switch, helping ensure that the bundle remains active even in the event of a port failure.
Management of storage networks requires proactive diagnostics, tools to verify connectivity and route latency, and mechanisms for capturing and analyzing traffic. The Cisco MDS 9134 integrates the industry’s most advanced analysis and debugging tools. Power-on self-test (POST) and online diagnostics provide proactive health monitoring. The Cisco MDS 9134 provides the integrated hardware functions required to implement diagnostic capabilities such as Fibre Channel Traceroute to detail the exact path and timing of flows, and SPAN to intelligently capture network traffic. After traffic has been captured, it can be analyzed with the Cisco Fabric Analyzer, an embedded Fibre Channel analyzer. With the Cisco MDS 9134, Cisco delivers a comprehensive toolset for troubleshooting and analysis of an organization’s storage network.
In recognition of the need for unassailable security in storage networks, the Cisco MDS 9134 offers an extensive security framework to protect highly sensitive data crossing today’s enterprise networks.
● FC-SP provides switch-to-switch and host-to-switch Diffie-Hellman Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (DH-CHAP) authentication supporting RADIUS or TACACS+, to help ensure that only authorized devices access protected storage networks.
The Cisco MDS 9134 is designed for mission-critical availability. Nondisruptive software upgrades; hot-swappable, redundant fans and power supplies; and the unique capability to automatically restart failed processes combine to define a new standard for fabric switch availability.
High availability is implemented at the fabric level through the industry’s most robust and highest-performance ISLs. PortChannel capability allows users to aggregate up to 16 physical ports into one logical bundle. The bundle can sustain the failure of any physical link without causing a reset. Additionally, FSPF multipathing provides the intelligence to load balance across up to 16 equal-cost paths and, if a switch fails, to dynamically reroute traffic. The Cisco MDS 9134 offers outstanding fabric switch availability, minimizing TCO.
The Cisco MDS 9134 provides four principal modes of management: the Cisco MDS 9000 family CLI, the Quick Configuration Wizard, the Cisco Fabric Manager, and integration with third-party storage management tools.
● Consistent, logical CLI: Adhering to the syntax of the widely known Cisco IOS® Software CLI, the Cisco MDS 9000 family CLI is easy to learn and delivers broad management capabilities. The Cisco MDS 9000 family CLI is an extremely efficient and direct interface designed to provide optimal capabilities to administrators in enterprise environments.
● Quick Configuration Wizard: The Quick Configuration Wizard helps eliminate management complexity and creates a readily available SAN environment for small- and midsized-business applications. The wizard allows server access to storage to be set up quickly and easily in a single step, using an intuitive GUI.
● Cisco Fabric Manager: Cisco Fabric Manager is included with the Cisco MDS 9134 for integrated, comprehensive management of larger SAN environments. Cisco Fabric Manager is a responsive, easy-to-use Java application that allows administrators to perform vital tasks such as topology discovery, fabric configuration and verification, provisioning, monitoring, and fault resolution.
● The Cisco MDS 9134 provides an extensive API for integration with third-party and user-developed management tools. The APIs are based on industry-standard protocols, including SNMP and the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) Storage Management Initiative Specification (SMI-S).
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, see or .