Cisco ONS 15454 SONET/SDH Multiservice Provisioning Platform
PDF(401.6 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:December 13, 2013
The industry-leading Cisco® ONS 15454 Multiservice Provisioning Platform (MSPP) delivers next-generation SONET/SDH features, advanced intelligent wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) transmission capabilities, high-density multiservice aggregation and transport, and a wide service interface selection. With its advanced multinetwork termination capability, the platform helps reduce the number of deployed network elements, lowering capital expenditures (CapEx) and operating expenses (OpEx).
The Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP (Figures 1 and 2) helps enable service provider and enterprise customers to build robust, scalable, multiservice transport networks to support their metropolitan-area (metro) or regional, public, and private communication needs (Figure 3). The Cisco ONS 15454 is the first in its class to consolidate SONET/SDH, dense WDM (DWDM) transmission, Layer 2 and Layer 3 packet-processing functions, and storage area network (SAN) transport with the intelligence of an IP-based management plane in a single, cost-effective platform. Designed for metro and regional networks, the Cisco ONS 15454 offers a wide mixture of data, voice, and video service interfaces, efficient bandwidth aggregation, and scalable transport bandwidth from 155 Mbps (OC-3/STM-1) to 10 Gbps (OC-192/STM-64) and integrated DWDM transmission for continued network scalability. The Cisco ONS 15454 provides operational simplicity by taking advantage of an integrated, network-based GUI, the Cisco Transport Controller, to simplify the setup, provisioning, and maintenance of the transport network. A powerful element management system (EMS), the Cisco Transport Manager assists with monitoring the optical network's health and allows integration to operations support systems (OSSs) and network management systems (NMS). In addition, the Cisco Transport Planner DWDM network design tool streamlines the formerly manual task of system modeling with a simple-to-use GUI with time-saving network-activation capabilities such as cabling diagrams and network element parameter uploads to the Cisco Transport Controller. With such advanced capabilities plus the management and planning tools, the Cisco ONS 15454 will provide the foundation for growing your communications infrastructure (Figure 3).
Figure 1. Cisco ONS 15454 ANSI/SONET System
Figure 2. Cisco ONS 15454 ETSI/SDH System
Best of SONET/SDH
The Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP uses the proven resiliency, performance monitoring capabilities, and deployment ubiquity of SONET and SDH protocols to create a transport platform designed to metro market requirements. SONET and SDH provide carrier-class circuit protection with sub-50-millisecond (ms) restoration and multilayer performance-monitoring statistics, enabling proactive maintenance and reduced communication downtime. Integration of the Cisco ONS 15454 into today's network is simplified because of the adherence to telecom industry standards.
Flexible Optical Networking
Networks are not all architected the same. Many factors, including access to physical media (that is, fiber, coaxial, etc.), CapEx budget, time to market, etc., may influence the final design of a network. To accommodate the wide deployment needs, the Cisco ONS 15454 was designed with a flexible, plug-and-play card architecture and comprehensive optical operating software, helping enable support for multiple capabilities from a single platform type, including:
• Flexible bandwidth and restoration options - Network bandwidth can be matched to user demand with plug-in optical cards, with support from 155 Mbps to 10 Gbps for SONET/SDH and 1.5 Mbps to 1 Gbps for Ethernet cards. In-service bandwidth upgrades help ensure that the network will meet current and future demands. The platform is easily provisioned to support all SONET/SDH protection protocols, including unidirectional path switched ring/subnetwork connection protection (UPSR/SNCP), 2- and 4-fiber bidirectional line switched ring/multiplex section-shared protection ring (BLSR/MS-SPR), 1+1 automatic protection switching/linear multiplex section protection (APS/LMSP), as well as Japan APS.
Figure 3. Metropolitan/Regional Network
• Network topology - The platform supports ring, linear, and mesh topologies or a combination of these topologies from a single network element. To simplify engineering, ordering, and sparing, the optical transport interface cards are not topology-type-specific, as is the case with many transport platforms, allowing a single card type to be software provisioned to support any of the network topologies.
• Intelligent WDM - The Cisco ONS 15454 provides best-in-class metro DWDM using its multiservice-transport-platform (MSTP) qualities, providing integrated, intelligent WDM capabilities, including automatic power sensing and control, optical filters including industry-leading reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexer (ROADM), optical amplifiers, optical service channel, narrowband optical interfaces, and IP-enabled network operations. Taking advantage of the MSTP configuration, the platform allows simple, fast, and easy network bandwidth scalability from 2.5 to 320 Gbps and beyond as well as a comprehensive selection of wavelength services. The platform is easily configured to support multiple DWDM node types, including hub, terminal, amplifier, and add/drop. The MSTP solution simplifies DWDM deployments by providing automated network-level power control, ROADMs, downloadable node turn-up settings and fiber cabling diagrams generated by the Cisco MetroPlanner DWDM network design tool, and A-to-Z wavelength provisioning. More information regarding the Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP can be found at: http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/ps5320/index.html.
These flexible optical networking capabilities allow deployment of a single platform type in a wider range of customer applications, simplifying training, equipment sparing, and OSS and NMS integration.
Integrated Multiservice Aggregation
Metro and regional networks, when compared to long-haul networks, reach closer to the end-user equipment, and thus require a broad mix of service interfaces and high-density service aggregation to accommodate all the data, voice, storage, and video data services. The Cisco ONS 15454 supports a comprehensive selection of service interface types, including synchronous, asynchronous, electrical, optical, data, and storage. Efficient bandwidth use is supported through the central cross-connect fabric, supporting TDM in multiple bandwidth increments including VT1.5, VC-11, VT2, VC-12, STS-N/VC-3, and VC-4 levels.
The Cisco ONS 15454 builds on the integration of Layer 2 and Layer 3 packet processing in an optical transport platform. The Cisco ONS 15454 also provides advanced quality of service (QoS) as well as Resilient Packet Ring (RPR) technology that helps enable more efficient use of the network transport resources to lower CapEx requirements and improve the network return on investment (ROI).
The growing demand for remote database backup is necessitating the transport of storage interfaces, such as 1- and 2-Gbps Fibre Channel/Fiber Connection (FICON) and Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON). The Cisco ONS 15454 provides the option to transport storage traffic over a SONET/SDH or DWDM network. The platform takes advantage of a distance-extension protocol to extend the reach of the storage network as well as its service bandwidth subrating to allow the transport bandwidth to better match the service requirements.
Service flexibility is further strengthened by the transponder solution, which is part of the system's MSTP function that can transparently transport a wide range of service types with advanced networking capabilities using G.709 digital wrapper and forward error correction.
CapEx and OpEx Savings
Reducing CapEx and OpEx can be achieved through better equipment use as well as a simplified network-element user interface. The small form-factor chassis design of the Cisco ONS 15454, its high-density multiservice interface cards, and its advanced multinetwork termination capability help reduce the number of deployed network elements, reducing footprint, power, and the cabling required for service aggregation and transport. The core of the Cisco ONS 15454 is built upon an IP-powered management system - the Cisco Transport Controller - that brings network-based intelligence to the transport infrastructure. The Cisco Transport Controller (Figure 4) helps enable such advanced features as A-to-Z, source-to-destination circuit and wavelength provisioning - helping to accelerate circuit activations, eliminate manual provisioning of intermediate network elements, and reduce provisioning mistakes. The embedded software wizards of Cisco Transport Controller, including bandwidth upgrade and BLSR/MS-SPR network setup tools, simplify and speed common operational tasks and procedures. All these features help decrease the cost to deploy and maintain the transport network.
Figure 4. Cisco Transport Controller Craft Interface Tool
Element Management System - Cisco Transport Manager
Cisco Transport Manager, the industry's most advanced optical transport domain manager, delivers the full power of the Cisco ONS 15000 Series Optical Networking System to the operations personnel and back-office systems of today's network operators (Figure 5). As competition intensifies, operators of optical transport networks will increasingly focus on time to revenue, service velocity, flexible service-level agreements (SLAs), preemptive service assurance, and continuous reduction in the cost of operations.
Cisco Transport Manager delivers GUI-controlled management of Layer 1, Layer 2, and Layer 3 connections that are aligned to service offerings based on a unified, wizard-driven approach. It also offers unified alarm management and a Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) API to allow flow-through management based on the TeleManagement Forum 814 standard (TMF.814).
Figure 5. Cisco Transport Manager EMS
The capabilities of the Cisco ONS 15454 help enable it to satisfy the needs of many types of applications found in service provider and enterprise networks.
Service Provider Networks
The Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP gives service providers a common platform to meet the demanding needs of their metro and regional networking applications, including:
• Bandwidth manager at interexchange carrier (IXC) offices
• Voice switch interface
• DSL access multiplexer (DSLAM) trunk aggregation and transport
• High-speed router or ATM switch link extender
• Wireless cell site traffic aggregation and transport
• Cable TV backbone data and voice network
• Storage transport networks
The Cisco ONS 15454 helps enable service providers to deliver next-generation services and quickly activate the new services so they can generate revenue more quickly. The platform easily integrates with existing service provider SONET networks and OSSs, including inventory, provisioning, or service management systems.
Enterprises require a reliable communications network to support all their data, voice, video, and storage service needs. The Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP allows these services to be aggregated onto a common network infrastructure, simplifying operations, maintenance, and training, as well as providing a scalable network to support future, bandwidth-hungry applications.
Today's vastly increased level of data traffic compels enterprises and service providers alike to search for solutions that lower costs for existing services yet provide greater overall bandwidth capacity and flexibility for newer applications and services. The Cisco optical portfolio of network solutions, of which the Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP is part, excels in satisfying these primary requirements, from the metro edge to the long-haul network.
Tables 1 through 5 provide system specifications and equipment components for the Cisco ONS 15454 platform.
Table 1. System Specifications
ANSI shelf assembly:
• 19- or 23-in. EIA rack-mounting
• H x W x D: 18.5 x 17.6 x 12.0 in. (470 x 445 x 305 mm)
ETSI shelf assembly:
• ETSI and 19-in. rack-mounting
• H x W x D: 24.3 x 17.5 x 11.0 in. (616.5 x 445 x 280 mm)
Dual power input terminal block, voltage monitored with threshold crossing alarms (TCAs)
• -48 VDC nominal
• -40.5 to -56.7 operating range
• 5 amps minimum
• 22 amps maximum @ nominal voltage
• 55 to 80 lb (25 to 36.3 kg)
• 80 to 110 lb (36.2 to 49.8 kg)
1. Maximum current draw based upon shipping system configuration, not equipment design limits.
Table 2. Mechanical Systems - ANSI Chassis
17 front access common and interface card slots, integrated fan-tray slot
Table 6. Ordering Information for Cisco 15454 MSPP
Cisco ONS 15454 SONET/ANSI Multiservice Provisioning Platform
Cisco ONS 15454 SDH/ETSI Multiservice Provisioning Platform
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, refer to
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.