Configuring Multicast VPN
The multicast VPN feature is supported on Cisco ME 3600X and Cisco ME 3800X Switch Series effective Cisco IOS Release 15.2(2)S1.
Note The multicast VPN is supported on Cisco ME 3600X-24CX switch effective Cisco IOS Release 15.2(4)S1.
This chapter describes how to configure Multicast VPN on the Cisco ME 3800X and ME 3600X switch. Configuring Multicast VPN
The Multicast VPN (MVPN) feature provides the ability to support multicast over a Layer 3 Virtual Private Network (VPN). As enterprises extend the reach of their multicast applications, service providers can accommodate these enterprises over their Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) core network. IP multicast is used to stream video, voice, and data to an MPLS VPN network core.
Historically, point-to-point tunnels were the only way to connect through a service provider network. Although such tunneled networks tend to have scalability issues, they represented the only means of passing IP multicast traffic through a VPN.
Because Layer 3 VPNs support only unicast traffic connectivity, deploying in conjunction with a Layer 3 VPN allows service providers to offer both unicast and multicast connectivity to Layer 3 VPN customers.
Configuration information for MVPN can be found in Configuring Multicast VPN section.
Restrictions and Limitations
MVPN is not supported on Cisco ME3600X-24CX for Cisco IOS Release 15.2(4)S.
The following restriction apply to Cisco ME3600x/ME3800x switch.
- The multicast VPN Inter-AS feature is not supported in Cisco IOS Release 15.2(4)S
- IGMP Snooping must be disabled on core interfaces.
- Bidirectional Forwarding is not supported on MVPN. The Ingress Outer ACL engine can only perform RPF check on one interface ID on the outer/Multicast Distribution Tree (MDT) header.
- The following headers are not supported on GRE tunnels:
– Routing field
– Sequence number
– Strict Source number
– Recursion Control Field
- Pseudowire towards the core svi is not supported.
- The maximum transmission unit (MTU) must be the same for all MDT ports.
- Access Control Lists (ACLs) are not supported on MDT tunnel interfaces.
- PIM Sparse Mode (SM) for DATA-MDT is not supported.
- Switchport trunk SVI with single port is supported.
- Maximum number of OIFs supported is 62.