DNS Outbound Zone Transfers
The DNS Outbound Zone Transfers dashboard element rendered as a stacked area chart tracks the rate of change in full and incremental outbound zone transfer responses, and any associated errors. The chart is available if you choose DNS Metrics: DNS Outbound Zone Transfers in the Chart Selection list.
The resulting stacked area chart plots the following trends:
- Full Responses —Number of full outbound zone transfers (AXFRs out).
- Incremental Responses —Number of incremental outbound zone transfers (IXFRs out).
- Authorization Errors —Number of unauthorized (refused) zone transfer requests.
- Exceed Max Transfers Out —Number of failed outbound transfers that exceed the maximum limit.
- Other Errors —Number of other outbound transfer errors that are not authorization errors.
How to Interpret the Data
This chart is useful in gauging if outbound zone transfers to a secondary DNS server are occurring as predicted and if there are any authorizations or failed transfer attempts in the process. The most significant indicator is the trend in the number of outbound zone transfers denied for lack of permission or for not being authorized for the zone.
Troubleshooting Based on the Results
Check the primary and secondary server configurations if there are errors or exceeded limits in the outbound zone transfers.