Extend Enterprise-Class Networking to OpenStack KVM
Simplify your OpenStack KVM deployments. Take advantage of the highly resilient, enterprise-class networking offered by Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch for KVM
This distributed switching platform provides advanced networking features. These include integrated network services and enhanced visibility and manageability for your virtual and cloud networking infrastructure.
Features and Capabilities
The Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch offers an extensible virtualization architecture that helps you prepare for the future needs of your network. It supports multiple hypervisors and multiple networking services, and is tightly integrated with multiple cloud management systems.
Cisco Nexus 1000V for KVM offers:
- Simplified operational model through virtualization-aware networking features
- Fine-grained control and automation through tight integration with OpenStack
- Highly secure and available cloud infrastructure through a scalable services architecture
Cisco Nexus 1000V provides advanced NX-OS features including:
- Enhanced visibility and troubleshooting of virtual machine traffic through features like Cisco NetFlow, SPAN, and packet-statistics
- Simplified virtual networking operations and manageability through features like SNMP, NETCONF , Syslog, and a strong partner ecosystem
- Advanced switching and security through features like VXLANs, ACLs and others
Cisco Nexus 1000V architecture follows the same hypervisor-agnostic architecture used across other hypervisors (VMware vSphere, and Microsoft Hyper-V):
It has two components:
- Virtual Ethernet Module (VEM) is deployed on each physical host managed by Nexus 1000V as part of the KVM hypervisor.
- Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM) can be deployed as a virtual appliance on any KVM host, or on a Cisco Cloud Services Appliance.
It is tightly integrated with OpenStack KVM environments:
- VEM is tightly integrated with the KVM architecture
- VSM is tightly integrated with OpenStack through Neutron Plugin