Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Software powers Cisco MDS 9000 Series Multilayer Switches. It is designed to create a strategic SAN platform with superior reliability, performance, scalability, and features. Formerly known as Cisco SAN-OS, Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Software is fully interoperable with earlier Cisco SAN-OS versions and enhances hardware platform and module support.
Advantages of Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Software include:
- Flexibility and scalability: It provides a highly flexible and scalable platform for enterprise SANs.
- Consistency across platforms: The Cisco Nexus Family also uses Cisco NX-OS Software. This creates a software base for the eventual unification of Ethernet, storage, and high-performance computing networks.
- Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO): Integrated fabric applications, security, and ease of management help to lower your TCO and deliver a quick return on investment.
The software's essential features include:
- Virtual SAN (VSAN) capability: Can logically separate a large physical fabric into isolated environments to improve Fibre Channel SAN scalability, availability, manageability, and network security
- End-to-end virtualization and mobility: Simplifies deployment, mobility, and management of virtual machines, VSAN fabrics, blade servers, and virtualized storage devices
- Integrated fabric application: Delivers network-based storage applications and services such as virtualization, security, continuous data protection, data migration, and replication
- Security and compliance: Helps preserve the integrity and confidentiality of Fibre Channel traffic between modular switches within a data center or across metropolitan-area networks through Fibre Channel Link Encryption
The VM Optimized SAN - Evolving and Innovating Into The Virtual World (Flash)
Demonstration of Virtual Machine and Blade Servers optimized SAN features.