In today’s mobile network, the packet core is the foundation of the network, and the policy and charging control architecture makes decisions on how to allocate network resources. This architecture must be tightly integrated to accommodate high demands and changing mobile networks. The 2014 Cisco Visual Networking Index™ forecast that the number of mobile-connected devices would exceed the world’s population by the end of 2014, while monthly global mobile data traffic will surpass 15 exabytes by 2018.
Mobile data increases are driven by new use cases which require a sophisticated network that can optimize network resources more effectively and open new revenue opportunities for end users. The comprehensive integration of Cisco® Policy Suite with Cisco Evolved Packet Core solutions (such as the Cisco ASR 5000 platforms and the Cisco Virtualized Packet Core) will allow service providers to use their networks to meet current demands and quickly upgrade to satisfy future requirements.
A wide range of providers can benefit from how the two solutions work closely together to improve overall network availability and flexibility. They can beneficial for current packet core or policy customers, looking to add a second component, as well as new Cisco packet core customers and policy users.
Market Demands Require a More Sophisticated Mobile Network
Today, service providers are looking at new ways to accommodate the expected increase in mobile data traffic. By coupling the decision-making powers of the policy architecture with the packet core, providers can find new ways to use the network resources they have invested in, including creating new services for their mobile subscribers.
Here are some use cases that benefit from tight integration of Cisco Policy Suite with a Cisco Evolved Packet Core solutions:
● Improved network optimization
◦ Better cellular coverage for all users with Radio Access Network (RAN) congestion insights, actions, and other tools
◦ Faster and more inexpensive voice calling with easy-to-implement voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) and voice‑over Wi-Fi (VoWi-Fi) solutions
◦ Improved insights into network activities with analytics across the network
● New revenue opportunities for end users
◦ Connected machine-to-machine devices, with customized methods of connecting to them at the right time and capabilities available in the network
◦ New customizable networks with flexible mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) and mobile virtual network enabler (MVNE) solutions
◦ Personalized networks for each user with location-based, value-add information and sponsored data
In addition, operators can benefit from the following efficiencies of having a pre-integrated policy and packet core solution from Cisco:
● Operational efficiencies
◦ Common policy charging and control (PCC) provisioning
◦ Common orchestration environment
◦ Common management platform
● Cisco deployment time-to-market and cost savings
◦ Hardware alignment
◦ High-capacity load testing
◦ Pre-scoped policy and packet core design and implementation guide
◦ Preconfigured Cisco Unified Computing System™(Cisco UCS®) hardware (OS and hypervisor) ordering and installation
Cisco Packet Core and Cisco Policy Suite Bundles
For customers who want to purchase both Cisco Evolved Packet Core and Cisco Policy Suite solutions at the same time, Cisco has developed some key bundles. Service providers can quickly take advantage of the bundles to streamline the benefits of the two solutions. Please speak with a Cisco representative to find how to take advantage of these bundles.
Cisco Services help networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together.
Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration between people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the activities needed at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the resources of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we help achieve the best results.
For More Information
For more information about Cisco policy solutions and Cisco packet core solutions, both ASR 5000 platforms and the virtual packet core, please go to the following web pages:
● Cisco Policy Suite
● Cisco Packet Core