The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
Expandable 4-socket blade server
The enterprise-class Cisco UCS® B480 M5 Blade Server delivers market-leading performance, versatility, and density without compromise for memory-intensive, mission-critical enterprise applications and virtualized workloads, among others.
With the Cisco UCS B480 M5, you can quickly deploy stateless physical and virtual workloads, with the programmability that Cisco UCS Manager and Cisco SingleConnect technology enables. The server uses the 2nd Gen Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors or Intel Xeon Scalable processors with up to 6 TB of memory or 12 TB of Intel Optane™ DC Persistent Memory; up to four SAS, SATA, and NVMe drives; M.2 storage; up to four GPUs; and 160 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity. The Cisco UCS B480 M5 Blade Server offers exceptional levels of performance, flexibility, and I/O throughput to run your most demanding applications.
Excellent candidates for the B480 M5 include applications such as:
● SAP and SAP HANA
● Data warehouse
● Large virtualized environments, including Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
● Real-time financial applications
● Java-based workloads
● Server consolidation
● Do more with less by taking advantage of faster CPU cores in the 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors and larger-capacity, faster memory performance.
● Take advantage of up to 12 TB of memory or up to 6 TB of memory with 12 TB of the fastest persistent storage with Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory in Application Mode for your SAP, SAP HANA, SQL, Oracle, and data warehouse applications.
● Increase Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) worker productivity with four times the GPU support of previous 4-socket blade servers.
● Simplify administration of your server infrastructure with Cisco Unified Computing System (Cisco UCS) management including Cisco Intersight.
● Benefit from automated rapid deployment with Cisco UCS Manager, achieving faster time to value.
Cisco UCS B480 M5 Blade Servers are supported by the full suite of Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS) management tools and are engineered for Cisco Intersight™. Cisco Intersight is a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) management platform that uses analytics to deliver proactive automation and support. By combining intelligence with automated actions, you can reduce costs dramatically and accelerate time to resolution.
What it does
The Cisco UCS B480 M5 Blade Server offers the industry’s highest density and most flexibly expandable modular 4-socket blade server in a compact form factor. It provides industry-leading performance for enterprise and mission-critical applications. The B480 M5 offers:
● Up to four 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors or Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs (with up to 28 cores per socket).
◦ 48 DIMM slots (12 DIMMs per CPU socket).
o 2933 MHZ DDR4 memory plus other speeds depending on the CPU installed.
o 48x DDR4 DIMMs for up to 12 TB of capacity using 256 GB DIMMs or
o 24x DDR4 DIMMs + 24x Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory modules for 12 TB or 18 TB for memory mode or App Direct mode respectively.
● Five mezzanine-card adapters.
◦ One slot for Cisco UCS Virtual Interface Card (VIC) 1440 or 1340 modular LAN on Motherboard (mLOM).
◦ Two slots for VICs (VIC 1480 or 1380 or port expander), GPU, or flash-storage options.
◦ Two slots dedicated for GPU, Cisco FlexStorage RAID controller, and Cisco FlexStorage pass-through.
● Up to four SAS, SATA hard-disk drives, Solid-State Disks (SSD), and NVMe options.
● Internal Secure Digital (SD) or M.2 boot options.
◦ SD card: up to 128 GB.
◦ M.2: up to 960 GB with optional hardware RAID.
● Up to four GPUs supported.
For more information
For more information about all Cisco UCS servers, go to https://www.cisco.com/go/ucs.