PDF(116.6 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:April 15, 2009
® Video Surveillance 2421 Standard-Definition IP Dome is a feature-rich digital IP camera designed for superior performance in a wide variety of video surveillance applications. The camera employs MPEG-4 and MJPEG compression of up to 30 frames per second (fps) at D1 NTSC resolution (720 x 480) or 25 fps at D1 PAL resolution (720 x 576), offering efficient network utilization while providing high-quality video. With its open, standards-based design, the camera provides an ideal platform for integration and operation as an independent device or as part of a Cisco Video Surveillance network.
Figure 1 shows the Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome.
Figure 1. Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome
The Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome offers a variety of benefits, including:
• Wide dynamic range. The camera employs powerful digital imaging technology, allowing it to capture high-quality images in a wide variety of lighting conditions. It uses a progressive scan image sensor with global electronic shuttering to ensure natural color rendition, zero blooming and smear, and minimal motion blurring.
• Dual streaming. The camera can stream MPEG-4 and MJPEG video simultaneously. Each video stream can be configured with individual resolution, quality, and frame rate settings.
• Flexible power options. The camera supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) 802.3af, and 12 VDC or 24 VAC power through an optional external power supply.
• Mounting options. The camera was designed specifically for internal ceiling tile mount deployments. There is an optional shroud for surface mount installations. The camera is equipped with a varifocal lens mounted to a manual pan and tilt mechanism that allows the camera to be rotated and placed at the proper angle.
• Day/night operation. The camera provides true day/night operation and includes an IR filter that automatically switches to night mode in low-light scenes. This function can be set to manual or automatic control.
• Cisco Media Application Programming Interface. The camera supports the Cisco Media API, which is an open, standards-based interface that allows integration with compatible video surveillance management systems.
• Embedded security and networking.* The camera provides 802.1X authentication and hardware-based Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). For enhanced bandwidth management, the camera supports IP Multicast.
• Event notification.* The camera can examine designated areas in the video for motion activity and then notify users or other applications when it detects activity that exceeds a predefined threshold.
Note: Features with an asterisk are not available when the camera is used with Cisco Video Surveillance Manager.
Table 1 describes the features of the Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome.
Table 1. Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome Features
1/3-in. progressive-scan RGB CMOS sensor with wide dynamic range
Automatic white balance (AWB), automatic back lighting, automatic gain control (AGC), automatic exposure (AE), auto iris.
102 dB typical/120 dB maximum
• Color mode: F1.4 @ 0.65 lux
• Black and white mode: F1.4 @ 0.08 lux
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)
DC auto-iris lens with day/night filter
Field of view:
• Horizontal: 22°-76°
• Vertical: 17°-56°
Camera Angle Adjustment
MPEG-4 SP level 0 to 4, ASP level 0 to 5, MJPEG
Resolution and Frame Rate
• 720 x 480/576 @ 30/25 fps (D1)
• 704 x 480/576 @ 30/25 fps (4CIF)
• 352 x 240/288 @ 30/25 fps (CIF)
• Single-stream MPEG-4 up to D1 720 x 480/576 @ 30/25 fps
• Single-stream MJPEG up to D1 720 x 480/576 @ 15 fps
• Dual-stream: MPEG-4 and MJPEG
• Primary stream MPEG-4 programmable up to 704 x 480/576 @ 25/20 fps
• Secondary stream MPEG-4/MJPEG (selectable) programmable up to 352 x 240/288 @ up to 15 fps
Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP), File Transfer Protocol (FTP), Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), Secure HTTP (HTTPS), Network Time Protocol (NTP), Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP), Real-Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP), Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security (SSL/TLS), Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Quality of Service (QoS)*
Differentiated services code point (DSCP) marking
• 12 VDC or 24 VAC, isolated external power supply
• PoE (802.3af) @ 48V/0.3A
*Not supported when the camera is used with Cisco Video Surveillance Manager.
Table 2 describes the connectivity and connectors of the Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome.
Table 2. Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome Connectors
10/100 BASE-TX Ethernet with RJ-45 connector
3.5-mm service connector, provides analog video (use with included mini cable with BNC adapter during installation)
Table 3 describes the primary features of the Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome software.
Table 3. Cisco Video Surveillance 2421 IP Dome Primary Software Features
4 user-definable motion detection areas; e-mail alert and FTP uploading of captured video or JPEG snapshots triggered by motion alert
NTSC and PAL
Auto or manual day/night operation with user-definable thresholds
Configurable, brightness, sharpness, contrast, saturation, and white balance
Time, date, and text
Selectable Bit Rate
Support for Constant Bit Rate or Variable Bit Rate* (constant quality)
Users can enter a list of allowed or blocked IP addresses for viewing video and configuring camera settings
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, visit
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.