Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Routing and Switching (CCIE Routing and Switching) certifies the skills required of expert-level network engineers to plan, operate and troubleshoot complex, converged network infrastructure.
There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification. Other professional certifications or training courses are not required. Instead, candidates must first pass a written qualification exam and then the corresponding hands-on lab exam. You are expected to have an in-depth understanding of the topics in the exam blueprints and strongly encouraged to have three to five years of job experience before attempting certification.
Step One: CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam
You must pass the two-hour, written qualification exam, which covers networking concepts and some equipment commands before you are eligible to schedule the lab exam.
- Written Exam Information
- Schedule and Pay Information for the Written Exam
- Revision to CCIE and CCDE Written Exams Retake Policy (effective August 2, 2014)
Step Two: CCIE Routing and Switching Lab Exam
The eight-hour lab exam tests your ability to configure actual equipment and troubleshoot the network in a timed test situation. You must make an initial attempt of the CCIE lab exam within 18-months of passing the CCIE written exam. If you do not pass the lab exam within three years of passing the written exam, you must retake the written exam before being allowed to attempt the lab exam again.
The best way to prepare for this certification is to take the Cisco-approved training:
Cisco Expert-Level Training for Routing and Switching
Cisco Expert-Level Training for CCIE Routing and Switching is a complete, blended learning program to accelerate competency and build the skills that are necessary for expert certification.
» Learn More
The following resources are suggested study materials:
- Mobile CCIE Routing and Switching Labs Overview
- CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Revision
- CCIE Routing and Switching Tech Seminars
- CCIE Routing and Switching Expert-Level Training Updates
A comprehensive list of study materials is also available.
Cisco Learning Network Resources
- CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Syllabus
- CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Study Group
- IT Training Videos and Seminars
- Unleashing CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Blog with Bruno van de Werve
Get all your CCIE Routing and Switching questions answered.
Learning Partner Content
- Partners: Log in for Partner Education Connection (PEC) curricula.
To earn this Cisco certification, you must pass the following exam(s):
CCIE Written Exam
The CCIE written exam is a two-hour qualification exam, taken at a Cisco authorized Pearson VUE testing center. The exam uses a combination of multiple choice questions and simulations to assess the skills listed under Exam Topics. Exams are closed book and no reference materials are allowed.
- Learn more about the 400-101 CCIE exam
- Register for the exam
- Read current exam policies and requirements
CCIE Lab Exam
The eight-hour lab exam tests your ability to configure actual equipment and troubleshoot the network in a timed test situation.