Learn more about the benefits and requirements associated with achieving a CCDA certification. (3:29 min)
Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA) is for network design engineers, technicians, and support engineers, who enable efficient network environments with an understanding of network design fundamentals. A CCDA certified network professional demonstrates the skills required to design basic campus, data center, security, voice, and wireless networks.
CCDA Exams & Recommended Training
|Required Exam(s)||Recommended Training|
|640-864 DESGN||Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN)|
|NOTE: Updated ICND1, ICND2, and CCNA Composite exams can be applied towards the achievement of several Cisco associate-level certifications. Please visit the Associate-level Exam Logic Tool for more details.|
The following resources are suggested study materials:
- Meet the Design Track Product Managers (Videos)
- Design/Architect Certification Comparison Chart (PDF)
- CCDA: Self-Study vs. Instructor Led Class (VIP Blog)
- Description of the Methodology Used to Design a Network
A comprehensive list of self-study materials is also available.
Cisco Learning Network Resources
- CCDA Certification Syllabus
- CCDA Certification Study Group
- Cisco Learning Network Premium Subscription
- IT Training Videos and Seminars
Get all your CCDA questions answered.
Learning Partner Content
The best way to prepare for this certification is to take the Cisco-approved training:
Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN)
This course focuses on the foundational skills and knowledge necessary for professionals entering the specialization of network design or working as an apprentice to a more experienced network design engineer.
» Learn More
To earn this Cisco certification, you must pass the following exam(s):
This exam indicates a foundation or apprentice knowledge of network design for the Cisco converged networks based on Borderless Network Architecture. CCDA certified professionals can design routed and switched network infrastructures and services involving LAN, WAN, wireless, and broadband access for businesses and organizations.
CCDA certifications are valid for three years. To recertify, pass ONE of the following before the certification expiration date:
- Pass any current Associate-level exam except for ICND1 exam, or
- Pass any current 642-XXX Professional-level or any 300-XXX Professional-level exam, or
- Pass any current 642-XXX Cisco Specialist exam (excluding Sales Specialist exams or MeetingPlace Specialist exams, Implementing Cisco TelePresence Installations (ITI) exams, Cisco Leading Virtual Classroom Instruction exams, or any 650 online exams), or
- Pass any current CCIE Written Exam, or
- Pass the current CCDE Written Exam OR current CCDE Practical Exam, or
- Pass the Cisco Certified Architect (CCAr) interview AND the CCAr board review to extend lower certifications
When using a higher level of certification to extend other certifications, the expiration date of other certifications will extend to the expiration date of the higher certification (i.e.: If you have one year left on your CCNA Routing and Switching certification and you earn a CCIE certification (which has a two-year certification life) then both your CCIE certification and your CCNA Routing and Switching certification will expire two years from the date you achieved the CCIE certification).