What is VoIP phone? Learn how VoIP phone technology works and discover the cost, collaboration and productivity advantages for businesses.
Transform Your Business with VoIP phones
VoIP-or voice over Internet Protocol (IP)-is the foundation for cost-effective phone communications and more advanced unified communications applications that can transform the way you do business. VoIP phones can help your business cut costs, improve collaboration, and enhance productivity more than ordinary business phones.
VoIP Phone Terms
- VoIP refers to a way to carry phone calls over an IP data network, whether on the Internet or your own internal network. A primary benefit of a VoIP phone is its ability to help reduce expenses, because telephone calls travel over the data network rather than the phone company's network.
- IP telephony encompasses the full
suite of VoIP services, including:
- The interconnection of VoIP phones for communications
- Related services such as billing and dialing plans
- Basic features, such as conferencing, transfer, forward, and hold
- IP communications includes business
applications that enhance communications on a VoIP
phone, providing features such as:
- Unified messaging
- Integrated contact centers
- Multimedia conferencing with voice, data, and video
- Unified communications takes IP communications further by using such technologies as Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and presence, along with mobility solutions, to unify and simplify all forms of communications on a VoIP phone, independent of location, time, or device.
VoIP Phone Service Quality
Most businesses are using a VoIP phone throughout their own managed private networks, rather than the public Internet, because a private network helps ensure security and service quality. A VoIP phone system on a private network also gives better control over voice quality, so that it is as good as, if not better than, the quality provided by a traditional phone system.
Explore the Cisco Unified Communications System.
Why VoIP? Learn how a VoIP phone can help your small business meet its biggest challenges.
For more information please visit: Voice and Conferencing