The Cisco SN 5420 implements the Internet Small Computer Systems Interface (iSCSI) to provide access to Fibre Channel switches and storage devices. iSCSI combines the benefits of the TCP/IP protocol suite with SCSI, the universal standard for storage access (refer to Figure 1). By utilizing iSCSI, the Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router extends your Fibre Channel storage network to lower-priced/lower-performance servers in your data center and departmental servers located throughout your campus and enterprise. With the Cisco SN 5420, you can access your Fibre Channel storage-area network (SAN) from anywhere on an IP network as easily as accessing direct-attached storage (refer to Figure 2). By taking advantage of the cost advantages of 10/100 Ethernet networks or the performance advantages of Gigabit Ethernet, the Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router can connect servers to your shared Fibre Channel storage pool that would have previously been cost-prohibitive.
Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router
Cisco SN 5420 Extends Your Fibre Channel Storage to the IP Network.
- Provides access to Fibre Channel storage across IP networks through iSCSI technology
- Offers iSCSI draft standards-compatible hardware and drivers
- Provides Fibre Channel and Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
- High-availability design provides continuous access to critical data
- Has small footprint (one rack unit) form factor (rack-mount or table-top)
- Offers full interoperability with other Cisco Catalyst® switches, Cisco routers, and optical routers
- Uniquely provides standard IP networking capabilities to storage environments
- Offers extensive security features to protect valuable storage resources
- Offers fully integrated management tools
- Offers ease of use through standard Cisco user interfaces and configuration tools
- The Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router offers block-level access to storage through an IP network.
- Existing applications run without modification.
- High-availability features provide maximum uptime for mission-critical applications.
- Standard network management tools enhance the ability to manage storage, reducing storage-management costs.
- The Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router extends the storage network to IP.
- The Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router offers iSCSI drivers for the following operating systems: Windows NT, Windows 2000, Solaris, Linux, HP-UX, and AIX.
- The Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router offers security by taking advantage of IP virtual LAN (VLAN) support (refer to Figure 3).
- Further security is implemented in the Cisco SN 5420 through authentication during the iSCSI login sequence (refer to Figure 4).
- The Cisco SN 5420 Storage Router offers manageability by utilizing the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) along with CiscoWorks 2000 and the Cisco Discovery Protocol.
VLAN Security Support
Authentication During the iSCSI Login Sequence
- When the customer requires an application that utilizes SCSI today to access local storageSuch an application can benefit from universal access to storage using the IP protocol. Some applications require file-level access to storage. In those cases, a network-attached storage (NAS) device may be a better solution.
- When the customer wants to take advantage of the previous investment in a Fibre Channel SANThe Cisco SN 5420 can cost-effectively expand that storage to any server through the IP network.
- When the customer requires the ability to control access to a common storage pool, such as in a SANThis is a common requirement with storage service providers. The Cisco SN 5420 has logical unit number (LUN) mapping and access control lists to control access to storage devices.
- When the customer requires performance requirements consistent with applications such as tape backup over an IP networkThe Cisco SN 5420 provides an ideal solution for these environments.
- When the customer wants IP access to storage across a wide-area network (WAN) or IP accessibility to storage pools
1Availability for Cisco SMARTnet 8x5x4 and SMARTnet 24x7x4 is restricted to within one hundred (100) miles of a rapid response depot (in the U.S.) and seventy-five (75) kilometers (outside the U.S.) of a rapid response depot. Advance Replacement 8x5x4 and 24x7x4 Services are not available for Hardware cabinetry or chassis over 50 lb (23 kg), Software, or consumables (cables, blower assemblies, power cords, mounting hardware, etc). To determine if this service is available for a customer's location, please see the Cisco Service Availability matrix at www.cisco.com/public/scc/
2Availability for Cisco SMARTnet Onsite 8x5x4 and SMARTnet Onsite 24x7x4 is restricted to within fifty (50) miles of an authorized service location and one hundred (100) miles of a parts depot (in the U.S.) and seventy-five (75) kilometers (outside the U.S.) of an authorized service location. To determine if this service is available for a customer's location, please see the Cisco Service Availability matrix at www.cisco.com/public/scc/