The Cisco® ONS 15501 is a low-noise, gain-flattened C-band optical erbium doped fiber amplifier (EDFA) designed to extend the distance of today's high-speed optical infrastructure. The Cisco ONS 15501 complements the Cisco ONS 15500 dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM) solution, providing customers with the capability to extend their 100-GHz, 32-channel, 2.5-Gbps, or 10-Gbps optical infrastructure over greater distances. Furthermore, the Cisco ONS 15501 integrates seamlessly with the Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series, Cisco 7600 Series, and Cisco 12000 Series to provide inter-point-of-presence (POP) extension and the interconnection of remote campuses over 10 Gigabit Ethernet or SONET/SDH OC-192/STM-64. Packaged in a one-rack-unit (1RU) chassis, the Cisco ONS 15501 incorporates features such as 17-dB constant flat gain, automatic gain control (AGC), and low noise figure for excellent optical signal-to-noise ratio (OSNR) characteristics.
Cisco ONS 15501 EDFA DC
Cixco ONS 15501 EDFA AC
Enterprises using the Cisco ONS 15501 EDFA to extend their metropolitan-area (metro) DWDM network to remote data centers and branch offices can lower the total cost of ownership and deliver e-business solutions faster and more efficiently to all areas of their metro DWDM network.
With the Cisco ONS 15501 EDFA in a Cisco ONS 15500 network, service providers will realize greater revenue and profitability by extending the reach of their network infrastructure and services to remote customers.
- Constant flat gain of 17 dB over the 1530- to 1563-nm band
- Metro optimized automatic gain control
- Variable gain
- The variable gain capabilities of the Cisco ONS 15501 are critical to network designs in which amplifier spacing must be flexible.
- Variable gain allows for the addition or elimination of optical elements, such as optical add/drop multiplexing (OADM), without drastic network redesigns or costly equipment changes.
- The adjustable gain of the Cisco ONS 15501 can be used to reset a network to a better operating point after a change in span loss.
- Typical transient suppression within 50 microseconds
- Low noise figure of < 6.0 dB
- Input power range of -29 to 0 dBm
- Useful network management features
Table 1 Cisco ONS 15501 Specifications