The PA-SRP-OC12 Dynamic Packet Transport (DPT) port adapter is a dual-width OC-12c/STM-4 port adapter that provides a shared IP over optical capability in Cisco 7500 Series Routers, Cisco 7200 Series Routers, Cisco uBR7246, Cisco uBR7246VXR, or Cisco 7200 VXR Series routers. The DPT port adapter provides two SC duplex ports. Each SC duplex port allows connection to an adjacent device in a DPT ring.
Dynamic Packet Transport
The DPT port adapter is designed to be deployed in SONET OC-12c/STM-4 DPT rings. DPT rings can also be connected to SONET add drop multiplexers (ADMs), thus allowing for the creation of small or very large DPT rings. DPT is media independent, capable of operation over dark fiber, SONET/SDH gear, and WDM infrastructure.
DPT rings run on a variety of transport technologies including SONET/SDH, wavelength division multiplexing (WDM), and dark fiber. DPT provides carriers with the flexibility to operate packet rings over their embedded fiber transport infrastructure and provides an evolution path to packet-optimized transport for high-bandwidth IP networks. The DPT port adapter also provides the choice of multimode or single-mode intermediate reach, single-mode long and single-mode extended reach optics to meet application requirements.
- Accommodates large-scale network topology
- Leverages fiber-optic capacity at OC-12c/STM-4
- Controls the rate at which new packets are inserted on the media
- Allows data to obtain fair-shared access to the OC-12c/STM-4 rings
- Implements protection mechanisms, including wrap and unwrap in the event of fiber or node failure
- Supports both single-mode (SM) and multimode (MM) fiber transmissions
- Supports access to the SONET DCC channel