Cisco® VPN Client software enables customers to establish secure, end-to-end encrypted tunnels to any Cisco Easy VPN server. This thin-design, IP Security (IPSec)-compliant implementation is available from Cisco.com for customers with Cisco SMARTnet® support, and is included free of charge with Cisco VPN 3000 Series concentrators. The client can be preconfigured for mass deployments, and initial logins require little user intervention. VPN access policies and configurations are downloaded from the central gateway and pushed to the client when a connection is established, allowing simple deployment and management. Cisco VPN Client v4.6 introduces powerful enhancements, including automatic software update support.
Table 1 lists the features provided in the Cisco VPN Client.
Table 1. Features Table
Support for Windows 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP; Linux (Intel); Solaris (UltraSparc 32- and 64-bit); and Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
IPSec ESP using Data Encryption Standard (DES)/Triple DES (3DES) (56/168-bit) or Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) (128/256-bit) with Message Digest Algorithm 5 (MD5), or Secure Hashing Algorithm (SHA)
Internet Key Exchange (IKE)-Aggressive and Main Mode (digital certificates), Diffie-Hellman (DH) Groups 1, 2, and 5 Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) rekeying
Extended Authentication (XAUTH)
RADIUS with support for
• State/Reply-Message attributes (token cards),
• Kerberos/Active Directory authentication
• Security Dynamics (RSA SecurID Ready)
• Microsoft NT domain authentication
• MSCHAPv2-NT password expiration
• X.509v3 digital certificates
External user authorization information may be obtained via Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) or RADIUS
New features of the Cisco VPN Client v4.6 include:
• Automatic software updates (Windows 2000 and XP)-Automatically distributes updated versions of the Cisco VPN Client to remote users
• API-Allows the Cisco VPN Client to be controlled by a third-party application; eases integration with authentication and dialer vendors for use in an unattended environment
• Browser HTTP proxy configuration (Internet Explorer)-Eliminates the manual configuration previously required to set Internet Explorer browser proxy settings for Web browsing
• Connect on open-Eliminates extra clicks by establishing a connection to a default profile immediately upon opening the Cisco VPN Client
• 508 Accessibility compliance-Certifies that the Cisco VPN Client is designed for easy operation by persons with disabilities
Available now for customers with Cisco SMARTnet support. Updated media CD will be available in late September 2004 (approximately), and will also ship with Cisco VPN 3000 Series concentrators and Cisco PIX® security appliances.
Table 2 lists ordering information for the Cisco VPN Client.
Table 2. Ordering Information for Cisco VPN Client