The Cisco® Carrier Routing System (CRS) Performance Route Processor is the next-generation route processor for the Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3 platforms. It is the first Cisco CRS Route Processor to offer the amazing speed of the Intel Xeon Dual-Core processor (Nehalem family). With 6 GB or 12 GB of fast double data rate 3 (DDR3) error correcting code (ECC) memory, the Performance Route Processor provides extremely fast routing performance at exceptional scale for the largest core and edge applications. The multicore design and speed allows you to achieve high levels scale for all applications such as Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and Interior Gateway Protocols (IGP), Multiprotocol Label Switch Traffic Engineering (MPLS-TE), NetFlow, Lawful Intercept, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) or Extensible Mark-up Language (XML) monitoring without adversely affecting routing performance.
The CRS Performance Route Processor runs the award-winning Cisco IOS® XR Software, which is a fully modular, fully distributed internetwork operating system that uses a memory-protected, microkernel-based architecture and control-plane distribution that allows the system to scale.
The Performance Route Processor includes a pair of Solid State Drives (SSDs) for fast software installation and bootup. Like the ECC memory, which protects against memory errors, the dual SSDs guard against drive failure by mirroring the boot partition that stores the Cisco IOS XR Software.
This data sheet provides detailed product specifications for the Cisco CRS 4/8-Slot Line Card Chassis Performance Route Processor (Figure 1). For more information about the Cisco CRS Family and other available interfaces, visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/crs.
• Powered by Cisco IOS XR Software, and designed for always-on operation while scaling system capacity up to 322 Tbps with the multichassis architecture
• High-performance Dual-Core Intel Xeon (Nehalem) CPU for fast multithreaded software processing
• Redundant and fast SSD storage system
• Integrated technology includes IP/Multiprotocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) routing, IP over dense wavelength-division multiplexing (IPoDWDM), network virtualization with Secure Domain Routers (SDRs), fabric multicast replication, fabric quality of service (QoS), NetFlow accounting, and Carrier-Grade IPv6 (CGv6) to provide outstanding quality of experience (QoE) at the lowest possible total cost of ownership (TCO)
• Supported across all the Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3 form factors: 4-slot and 8-slot
• External Universal Service Bus (USB) port for easy access to USB flash memory devices for software image loading and recovery
• Optimized for peer-to-peer edge and core applications
• Industry-leading performance and efficiency with a lower power and weight profile
Table 1 contains specifications for the Cisco CRS 4/8-Slot Line Card Chassis Performance Route Processor
Table 1. Product Specifications
Compatible with the Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3 4-Slot and 8-Slot Line Card Chassis
Cisco IOS XR Software Release 4.0.2PX, 4.1.0PX, or later for Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3
• Console port (RJ-45 connector)
• Auxiliary port (RJ-45 connector)
• 10/100/1000 Management Ethernet port (RJ-45 connector)
• Two 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports (1000BASE-LX Small Form-Factor Pluggable [SFP]-LC connector, 10 km) for control plane connectivity
• Service Ethernet 10/100/1000 port (RJ-45 connector)
• Embedded USB (eUSB) 2.0 port (high-speed)
• 6 GB or 12 GB of ECC protected DDR3 route memory (not upgradable)
Cisco Services make networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together. Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration between people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the forces of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we achieve the best results.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco CRS 4/8-Slot Line Card Chassis Performance Route Processor, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/crs or contact your local account representative.