The Cisco® I-Flex design combines shared port adapters (SPAs) and SPA interface processors (SIPs), leveraging an extensible design that enables service prioritization for voice, video and data services. Enterprise and service provider customers can take advantage of improved slot economics resulting from modular port adapters that are interchangeable across Cisco routing platforms. The I-Flex design maximizes connectivity options and offers superior service intelligence through programmable interface processors that deliver line-rate performance. I-Flex enhances speed-to-service revenue and provides a rich set of quality-of-service (QoS) features for premium service delivery while effectively reducing the overall cost of ownership.
The Cisco 7600 SIP-200 helps enable high-performance, intelligent WAN services. Enterprises and service providers can take full advantage of the increased scalability, performance, and rich features offered by the Cisco 7600 SIP-200, along with the many options for WAN aggregation and connectivity offered in the Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio. The Cisco 7600 SIP-200 provides feature parity with the Enhanced FlexWAN while offering twice the performance and increased scalability.
Figure 1. Cisco 7600 SIP-200
Cisco 7600 Series Routers offer innovative, next-generation converged services for enterprises and service providers. Built on foundation technologies such as security, QoS, and high availability, the Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio helps enable the delivery of these value-added services for new revenue streams.
The Cisco 7600 SIP-200 is supported both on Cisco 7600 platform and Catalyst 6500 platform.
Ideal for enterprise headend and service provider edge aggregation, the Cisco 7600 SIP-200 supports up to 622 Mbps of bandwidth and numerous interfaces. (Note: Bandwidth is expected to decrease when QoS is enabled.) The innovative architecture of this industry-leading WAN services module delivers Cisco 7500 Series feature parity and feature velocity for time-to-market solutions.
Enterprise and Service Provider WAN Aggregation
The Cisco 7600 SIP-200 helps enterprises and service providers deploy high-density WAN aggregation, based on Frame Relay, Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC), ATM, or Packet over SONET/SDH (POS). Additionally, service providers can take advantage of the Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Any Transport over MPLS (AtoM) options supported on the Cisco 7600 SIP-200 to offer Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPNs. Rich QoS features and distributed processing attributes of the Cisco 7600 SIP-200 make it a cornerstone of a highly scalable WAN aggregation solution. Higher-layer applications can easily be supported on this end-to-end network to allow intelligent data, voice, video, and security services - all on the same platform - to provide integrated, easy-to-use application delivery and control.
Service Convergence and Intelligent Network Services for Next-Generation Applications
The unique value the Cisco 7600 Series provides is the convergence supported from the physical layer to a highly scalable application layer. The Cisco 7600 SIP-200 simplifies network design and deployment by allowing consolidation of LAN, WAN, and metropolitan-area network (MAN) interfaces into a single, highly scalable platform. The Cisco 7600 SIP-200, by integrating WAN termination, rich QoS features, bandwidth optimization, and security on the same module, obviates the need for multiple service modules, offering tremendous cost savings. The rich classification features supported on the Cisco 7600 SIP-200 enable identification of packets from Layer 2 to Layer 7 of the OSI model, enabling application-level intelligence and security in the network.
Features and Benefits
The rich QoS features of the Cisco 7600 SIP-200 enable users to:
• Classify and mark packets for QoS treatment within the network
• Deliver bandwidth to business-critical applications
• Limit bandwidth to non-critical applications
• Avoid network congestion by dropping select low-priority packets
• Smooth out bursts and avoid packet discard in the network
In addition, low-speed WAN aggregation features supported include:
• Compressed Real-Time Protocol (cRTP) to maximize bandwidth utilization
• Distributed link fragmentation and interleaving (dLFI) to minimize jitter
Table 1 summarizes the features and benefits of the Cisco 7600 SIP-200.
Table 1. Features and Benefits of Cisco 7600 SIP-200
Features and SPAs support varies depending on software release. Please consult the Cisco 7600 and Catalyst 6500 release notes to determine support.
A feature-rich WAN services card for QoS, bandwidth optimization, and security
Eliminates the need for multiple service modules; reduces costs
Supports up to 4 SPAs per module
Provides high-density aggregation, with a combination of interface types and the capability to invest as you grow
SPA support across midrange and high-end routers
Allows SPAs to be reused across Cisco product portfolio
1.1-Mpps bidirectional packet-forwarding performance with 46-byte packets
Provides high-density aggregation
Memory Upgrade Option
1 GB Maximum
Enables support of large routing tables, rich QoS features, and increased scalability
Switch Fabric Connectivity
Uses 720-Gbps switch fabric module
Online Insertion and Removal
SIP and SPA OIR are supported
Increases availability and provides operational ease of use
The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio offers the following additional advantages:
• Industry's most modular, flexible, intelligent interface processors
– Unmatched flexibility, providing mix-and-match of interface types on the same interface processor for consistent services, independent of access technology.
– Pioneering programmable interface processors that provide flexibility for the service diversity required in next-generation networks.
– Innovative design that provides intelligent delivery of services without compromising on performance.
• Increase speed to service revenue
– The future-proof programmable Cisco architecture extended to 10 Gigabits per second dramatically improves customer density, increasing potential revenue per platform.
– Interface breadth (copper, channelized, POS, ATM, and Ethernet) on a modular interface processor allows service providers to more quickly roll out new services, ensuring all customers large and small receive conistent, secure, and guaranteed services.
– High-density SFP interfaces are featured for high-port-count applications with reach flexibility. Future optical technology improvements can be adopted using existing SPAs.
• Dramatically improve the financials of your routing purchase
– Improved slot economics and increased density reduce capital expenditures (CapEx).
– The ability to easily add new interfaces as they are needed enables a "pay-as-you-grow" business model while still offering a high-density solution.
– SPAs are shared across multiple platforms, and can be easily moved from one to another, providing consistent feature support, accelerated product delivery, and a significant reduction in operating expenses (OpEx) through common sparing as service needs change.
Table 2 provides the product specifications of the Cisco 7600 SIP-200.
Table 2. Product specifications of Cisco 7600 SIP-200
Cisco 7600 Series SUP32-3B, SUP720-3B, SUP720-3BXL, RSP720-3C, RSP720-3CXL, RSP720-3C-10G, and RSP720-3CXL-10G systems
Minimum Software Compatibility
Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(18)SXE, or later
• User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
• IPv4 Unicast and Multicast
• IPv6 Unicast and Multicast
• Frame Relay
• Multilink Frame Relay - FRF.16
• Bridge Control Protocol (BCP)
• High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC)
• ATM permanent virtual circuit (PVC)-constant bit rate (CBR), variable bit rate real-time (VBR-rt), VBR non-real-time (VBR-nrt), and unspecified bit rate (UBR)
Cisco 7600 Series SPA Interface Processor-200, spare
512 MB memory for Cisco 7600 SIP-200
512 MB memory for Cisco 7600 SIP-200, spare
1 GB memory for Cisco 7600 SIP-200
1 GB memory for Cisco 7600 SIP-200, spare
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, refer to Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco Advanced Services.