The 10-port multirate Ethernet card for the Cisco® ONS 15454 Multiservice Provisioning Platform (MSPP) enables the delivery of true carrier-class Ethernet Private Line services.
Through its portfolio of Ethernet service cards, the Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP has enabled service providers and enterprises to effectively and efficiently expand their network capability from transporting only time-division multiplexing (TDM) services to delivering multiple services over a single, converged architecture and eliminating the need for multiple overlay infrastructures. With the introduction of the Cisco ONS 15454 CE-Series 10-Port Multirate Ethernet Card (CE-MR), the Cisco CE-Series card portfolio - which includes the 10/100 Mbps (CE-100) and the 1000 Mbps (CE-1000) cards on the Cisco ONS 15454 and 15310 platforms - gives service providers the ability to scale from 1.5-Mbps to 1-Gigabit Ethernet Private Line services. Additionally, the Cisco CE-MR card provides the service flexibility for customers to deploy multirate Ethernet services (10,100, 1000 Mbps) over a single card by supporting 10 Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP)-based multirate ports.
The Cisco CE-MR (Figure 1) meets important requirements for an end-to-end Ethernet Private Line application with features such as generic framing procedure (GFP), virtual concatenation (VCAT), software link capacity adjustment scheme (LCAS and SW-LCAS), link integrity, and comprehensive Ethernet and SONET statistics - including bandwidth utilization statistics and flow control. The Cisco CE-MR, with GFP and VCAT, helps service providers and enterprises maximize bandwidth utilization and promote industry-wide interoperability for Ethernet Private Line services. With LCAS, the Cisco CE-MR gives service providers the flexibility to dynamically add and remove bandwidth on Ethernet Private Line services. Ethernet and SONET statistics provide service-monitoring capabilities. For example, bandwidth utilization statistics reveal the usage patterns of end customers - data that can be critical for operations personnel or for network and business planners. Features such as link integrity provide faster convergence capability to end customers' Layer 2 networks connected through Ethernet private lines.
The Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP is the optical industry's first metro optical transport platform. It combines supercharged SONET/SDH transport, integrated optical networking (ITU grid wavelengths and DWDM, for example), and unprecedented multiservice interfaces on demand (such as TDM, Ethernet/IP, and storage) to deliver enormous economic benefits. The Cisco ONS 15454 provides the functions of multiple network elements in a single platform. As a critical component of a complete, end-to-end, advanced service architecture from Cisco, the Cisco ONS 15454 delivers a scalable optical transport mechanism and the intelligent Ethernet/IP support to cost-effectively deliver next-generation voice and data services.
Cisco continues its tradition of converged network services leadership with the introduction of the CE-MR card to the Cisco CE-Series, enabling the efficient delivery of Ethernet Private Line services without a major overhaul or redesign of existing transport infrastructure.
Figure 1. Cisco ONS 15454 CE-Series 10-Port Multirate Ethernet Card
The Cisco CE-MR card includes the following features:
• Ten multirate SFP-based Ethernet ports
• Support for 10/1000/1000 Mbps SFP optics: 10/100/1000 Mbps BASE-T; 100 Mbps FX, LX, BX; 1000 Mbps SX, LX, ZX
• 10-Gbps SONET/SDH transport bandwidth per card
• Each multirate Ethernet port mapped to SONET/SDH (POS) using GFP-F (ITU-T G.7041) or LAN Extension (LEX) High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC) encapsulation
• Each POS can consist of high-order (HO) VCAT (SONET: STS-1-nv where n=1 to 21, STS-3C-nv where n=1 to 7; SDH: VC-4-nv where n=1 to 7), (LO) VCAT (SONET: Vt1.5-nv where n=1 to 64; SDH: VC-3-nv where n=1 to 21, VC12 where n=1 to 63) or contiguous concatenation (CCAT) (SONET: STS-1, -3c, -6c, -9c, -12c, -24c, -48c; SDH: VC-4, -4-2c, -4-3c, -4-4c, -4-8c, -4-16c) circuits
• Dynamic capacity increment/decrement (LCAS or SW-LCAS) to VCAT circuits
• Sub-50-millisecond (ms) SONET/SDH protection/restoration of CCAT transport circuits
• Transparent to Layer 2 bridging, switching, Ethernet MAC control protocols (Cisco EtherChannel® technology, 802.1x, Cisco Discovery Protocol, VLAN Trunking Protocol [VTP], Spanning Tree Protocol), and VLAN (802.1Q and QinQ)
• Ethernet link functions: autonegotiation, link speed auto sense, full/half duplex, flow control (802.3x)
• QoS capabilities: Packet prioritization based upon IP type of service (ToS) or 802.1P
• Jumbo packet support: 9600 bytes
• A-to-Z provisioning (Cisco Transport Controller and Cisco Transport Manager), Transaction Layer 1 (TL1) provisioning
• Cisco Transport Controller/Cisco Transport Manager/TL1 management
• Interoperation (over SONET/SDH) with Cisco G-Series and ML-Series cards
• Back-pressure flow control
• Terminal and facility loopback
• Link integrity support
The Cisco CE-MR provides the flexibility to meet the demands of a wide variety of Ethernet Private Line applications found within service provider and enterprise networks. Figures 2 and 3 outline a few of the applications that can be met using the Cisco CE-MR cards.
Reliable Enterprise Networking
When the Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP is equipped with the CE-MR card, enterprise users can build highly reliable multiservice networks to support data, voice, and video applications. Additionally, a network based on a Cisco ONS 15454 provides the flexibility to support traditional TDM-based services along with Ethernet services. The Cisco ONS 15454 provides transport scalability from 155 Mbps (OC-3/STM-1) up to 320 Gbps (32 10-Gbps wavelengths), positioning the enterprise network for future growth (Figure 2).
Figure 2. Reliable Enterprise Networking
Private Line Carrier Ethernet
A metropolitan network that supports a wide range of service capabilities allows service providers to offer a tariff mix to meet each customer's needs. The Cisco ONS 15454 provides the foundation for building an advanced multiservice network over an extremely reliable SONET/SDH infrastructure (Figure 3). The Cisco ONS 15454 with CE-Series cards facilitates the delivery of data services such as transparent LAN services (TLS) or Internet access over a carrier-class optical infrastructure supporting traditional TDM services. The Cisco CE-MR card, with VCAT and LCAS functions, helps service providers offer a wide variety of Ethernet service-level agreements (SLAs). Virtual concatenation (VCAT) provides a more efficient use of the transport bandwidth for data user interfaces, and link capacity adjustment scheme (LCAS) provides an effective way for a service provider to change the allocated bandwidth to each customer. Additionally, provisioning an Ethernet circuit over a network equipped with a Cisco CE-MR card is easily accomplished through the use of the Cisco ONS 15454's embedded A-to-Z circuit provisioning wizard. The Cisco CE-MR card also supports TL1-based provisioning to simplify integration with many embedded service provider management systems.
Figure 3. Reliable Enterprise Network Using SDH/SONET Infrastructure
• Single-width card slot design for increased shelf flexibility and scalability
• Up to 12 Cisco CE-Series cards per shelf assembly
• Up to 120 Ethernet ports (10/100/1000 Mbps) per shelf assembly
Data Architecture Options
• Hub-and-spoke using multiple circuits
Optical Transport Options
• Unidirectional-path switched ring (UPSR) and subnetwork connection protection (SNCP)
• 2-fiber and 4-fiber bidirectional line switched ring (BLSR) and multiplex section-shared protection ring (MS-SPR)
• Automatic protection switching (APS) and subnetwork connection (SNC) (1+1 uni- or bidirectional)
• Path-protected mesh networking (PPMN)
• Unprotected (0+1)
Table 1 outlines valid SONET and SDH circuit combinations for the Cisco CE-MR card according to service type. Table 2 lists various product specifications for the Cisco CE-MR card.
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, see Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco Advanced Services.