How do I upgrade my Cisco acquired Codian unit or Cisco TelePresence Serial Gateway Series unit using external Compact Flash?
Very occasionally, it is necessary to upgrade a unit's software using the external Compact Flash slot. Examples of such situations are:
Follow these steps to upgrade using external Compact Flash:
- An attempt has been made to install ISDN Gateway software on an MCU or IP VCR (or vice versa), and the unit is repeatedly rebooting such that the web interface is inaccessible
- A power failure occurred during a previous upgrade attempt and the unit will not boot up to the point where the web interface is accessible
- The administrator password has been lost and the unit is running a version of software which does not have the reset_config command
- Obtain the required version of software as a .zip file from the Cisco TelePresence website.
- Extract the image from the .zip file to your hard drive and rename the extracted image kupgrade.
- Obtain a Compact Flash card of between 32 and 256 MB capacity, and some means of writing to it. USB compact flash card reader/writers are readily available.
- Copy kupgrade on to the Compact Flash card.
- Connect a serial terminal to the Console port of your unit using the connection settings on the unit's back label.
- Insert the Compact Flash card in to the slot on the unit's front panel and shutdown/restart the unit from the web interface, if it is available: otherwise from the command line type reboot s. at the prompt.
- Watch the output on the serial terminal.
- After a few seconds, you will see several rows of '.....' appear, followed by a message telling you the number of bytes copied. This represents the copying of the kupgrade image from the external Compact Flash card to the unit's internal memory.
- Eject the Compact Flash card from the external slot.
- The unit will complete the upgrade process and reboot of its own accord. The process is now complete.
This article applies to the following products:
- Cisco TelePresence IP GW 3500 / MSE IPGW blade
- Cisco TelePresence IP VCR 2200 / MSE VCR blade
- Cisco TelePresence ISDN GW 3200 and 3241 / MSE 8310 and 8321 ISDN blades
- Cisco TelePresence MCU 4200 / MSE 8420
- Cisco TelePresence MCU 4500
- Cisco TelePresence MSE 8050 Supervisor
- Cisco TelePresence Serial GW 3340 / MSE 8330 blade