Resetting a password on a Cisco acquired TANDBERG/Codian Conferencing Product and restoring a unit to its factory settings
If you have forgotten your password for your Cisco acquired TANDBERG/Codian product you need to restore the unit to its factory settings to reset it. This will remove all configuration, including passwords.
When restoring your unit to the factory settings you will need a copy of your activation keys. If you don't have them, contact Cisco customer support. When you contact Cisco customer support you will need to provide the serial number and MAC address of your unit. This information is found on a label on the unit's back panel.
To return your unit to its factory settings and reset the password:
- Connect a serial terminal to your unit's console port using the settings given on the back panel label.
- Reboot the unit and watch the output on the serial terminal. After a few seconds you will see the message 'Cisco TelePresence MCU 8510 4.2(0.36) (Build 6.17(0.36)) starting' or similar.
- Type reset_config and press Enter. (Type reset_password and press Enter if using an IP Gateway. Note this command can be used at any point, not just when the unit is rebooting, and no settings except the admin password details will be restored.)
- Type yes or y and press Enter. The unit will now reboot again.
- When bootup is complete, type status on the serial terminal to see the IP address that the unit has acquired using DHCP. Alternatively, set a static IP address on port A using the static command.
- Connect to the web interface of the unit and log in using 'admin' and no password. A warning message on the web page banner will tell you that a product activation key is required.
- Go to Settings > Upgrade and enter the unit's activation keys. After the activation keys are applied, you will be able to use your unit again.
To change the password, go to Users.
This article applies to the following products:
- Cisco TelePresence IP GW 3500 / MSE IPGW blade
- Cisco TelePresence IP VCR 2200 / MSE VCR blade
- Cisco TelePresence ISDN GW 3200 and 3241 / MSE 8310 and 8321 ISDN blades
- Cisco TelePresence MCU 4200 / MSE 8420
- Cisco TelePresence MCU 4500
- Cisco TelePresence MSE 8000 Chassis
- Cisco TelePresence MSE 8050 Supervisor
- Cisco TelePresence MSE 8510 blade
- Cisco TelePresence Advanced Media Gateway 3600
|June 6th, 2013||TAA_KB_13|