Voice Messaging Issues
This section covers the solutions for the following most common voice-messaging issues:
•Voice Messaging Stops After 30 Seconds
•Cisco Unity System Does Not Roll Over: Receive Busy Tone
•Calls That Are Forwarded to Voice Messaging System Get Treated as a Direct Call to Cisco Unity System
•Administrator Account Is Not Associated with Cisco Unity Subscriber
For extensive troubleshooting information for Cisco Unity voice messaging, refer to the Cisco Unity Troubleshooting Guide at the following URL:
For all documentation that relates to Cisco Unity systems, refer to the following URL:
Voice Messaging Stops After 30 Seconds
When Cisco Unity system is running with Cisco Unified Communications Manager, a caller gets only 30 seconds in which to leave a voice-mail message.
This problem occurs when a caller is leaving a voice message and the call terminates 30 seconds into the message. Reproduce this easily by dialing a valid extension/number and attempting to leave a voice message that is longer than 30 seconds.
1. To resolve this problem, verify that the Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) is being used on the voice gateway.
2. If the MGCP is being used, add the no mgcp timer receive-rtcp command.
3. If MGCP is not on the voice gateway, enable Skinny traces for the Cisco Unity server and Cisco Communications Manager traces.
For information on setting Cisco Unity diagnostic traces, refer to the "Diagnostic Trace Utilities and Logs" section of the applicable Cisco Unity Troubleshooting Guide at
Cisco Unity System Does Not Roll Over: Receive Busy Tone
Cisco Unity system does not get past the first line and will not roll over to the second port.
Call 5000 from 1001
Place the call on Hold
Press New Call
Get Busy tone
Press End Call
Press Resume Call
Press End Call
The Cisco Messaging Interface (CMI) service is configured with the same number as Cisco Unity (5000), and it is registering the intercept, so the call is hitting the CMI.
Check the CMI service parameters to ensure that the voicemaildn parameter is not configured.
Calls That Are Forwarded to Voice Messaging System Get Treated as a Direct Call to Cisco Unity System
Calls from one Cisco Unified IP Phone to another that are forwarded to voice-messaging system get treated as a direct call to Cisco Unity system from the phone that is making the call. However, this only occurs if the digits are dialed but works properly (receiving the called-phone greeting) if the Redial softkey is pressed.
The logic in the TSP states that if the call is a forwarded call and the originalCalledPartyName is "Voicemail," mark the call as a direct call. This was done for failover Cisco Unity systems that are using Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
1. On the Cisco Unified Communications Manager server, change the name of the Display field on the Cisco Voice Mail ports to anything other than "VoiceMail."
2. On the Cisco Unity server, add a new Registry string value of HKLM\Software\ActiveVoice\AvSkinny\voiceMail display Name= anything other than VoiceMail.
Administrator Account Is Not Associated with Cisco Unity Subscriber
While attempting to access the System Administrator (SA) page, you receive a message stating that the administrator account is not associated with the Cisco Unity subscriber.
Access was not configured for the user.
1. To gain appropriate rights to access the SA page, you must run the GrantUnityAccess utility. Locate this tool at C:\commserver\grantunityaccess.exe
2. If you run this utility with no options, the instructions should display. The normal use of this tool provides the domain/alias of the account that is to have access to the SA and then provides information about from which account to copy those rights.
For example, if the alias of the user to whom you want to give administration rights is TempAdministrator and your domain name is MyDOMAIN, you would use the following command at the DOS prompt:
GrantUnityAccess -u MyDOMAIN\TempAdministrator -s Installer -f.
The installer account designates a special account that always has administration rights but is not created in the directory itself; it is local to the SQL database only.