This document explains what the NetBios Extended User Interface (NetBEUI) is and why it is needed on a Cisco Intelligent Contact Management (ICM) Logger. This document also provides a step-by-step procedure for the configuration of Remote Access Setup (RAS).
Q. Do I need to install the NetBIOS Extended User Interface (NetBEUI) protocol on a Cisco ICM Logger?
A. Yes. Without NetBEUI installed, the ICM Logger does not pass events to support for remote monitoring.
Q. Why do I need to install the NetBEUI protocol on a Cisco ICM Logger, and how do I use it?
A. Microsoft Windows NT Remote Access Service (RAS) needs NetBEUI for successful operation of the Cisco ICM Phone Home and Alarm Tracker functions. NetBEUI is needed for dial out only.
NetBEUI over Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) allows remote PCs with remote access client software to dial-in to network access servers that connect into NetBEUI networks. The protocol used in these connections is a PPP Network Control Protocol (NCP) called NetBIOS Frames Control Protocol (NBFCP).
Without NetBEUI installed, the ICM Logger does not pass events to support for remote monitoring.
Q. How do I configure RAS?
A. Complete these steps to configure RAS on a Cisco ICM Logger.
- Select Start > Settings > Control Panel.
- Double-click the Network Applet.
- Select Services.
- Double-click the Remote Access Service. Figure 1 appears. Figure 1: Remote Access Setup
- Click Configure. Figure 2 appears. Figure 2: Configure Port Usage
- Click Dial out and Receive calls.
- Click OK. Figure 1 returns.
Note: Dial out is required for the ICM Phone Home feature to work. Receive calls is required if Cisco support engineers dial into the ICM Logger as a network access point.
- Click Network in the RAS dialog box (Figure 1). Figure 3 appears. Figure 3: Network Configuration
Figure 3 shows the correct configuration for a Cisco ICM Logger. Complete these steps to configure for dial in and dial out:
- Click Configure under the Server Settings section in Figure 3. Figure 4 appears. Figure 4: RAS Server TCP/IP Configuration
- Click Use static address pool.
- Insert an IP address range to be assigned by RAS. If you do not know the RAS address, it should be defined in the file c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on the ICM Logger.