How do I verify that the Email Security Appliance (ESA) is accepting email?
Here is an example of how to use Simple Network Management Protocol (SMTP) commands to connect with the ESA to verify that the appliance is accepting email. The telnet test will also work from your desktop computer.
- Connect to your ESA using SMTP (port 25). You can specify either the hostname or the IP address of the appliance.
>telnet nameofserverl.example.com 25
Connected to nameofserver.example.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 nameofserver.example.com ready at Wed, 30 Jun 2004
- Specify the hostname FROM which you are connecting.
250 nameofserver.example.com Hello [10.1.3.223]
- Specify the email address FROM which you are sending mail.
>mail from: email@example.com
250 2.1.0 firstname.lastname@example.org....Sender OK
- Specify the email address TO which you are sending mail.
>rcpt to: email@example.com 250 2.1.5 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate that you are ready to send the body of the message.
>data 354 Start mail input; end with .
- Enter some text as the body of the message. Number your test messages to make it easier to troubleshoot.
text of message
250 2.6.0 <@nameofserver.example.com> Queued mail for delivery
- Terminate the SMTP session.