Field Notice: FN - 63211 - 15310MA ETSI, SDH EEPROM Field Not Being Recognized by Software: Field reprogramming procedure available for EEPROM
Published Date May 28, 2009
THIS FIELD NOTICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE FIELD NOTICE OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE FIELD NOTICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS FIELD NOTICE AT ANY TIME.
May 28, 2009
Initial Public Release
Engineering Change Order
|Engineering Change Order (ECO)
The WBE cards produced for ETSI and SDH were manufactured with incorrect information programmed into the extended information field of the EEPROM. This causes the cards not to be recognized by the software. The "Mismatch Equipment Alarm" message appears, and the card does not boot.
Note: Only ETSI and SDH versions of the WBE cards are affected. The SONET version WBE is not affected by this issue.
There is no reason to RMA affected cards as ETSI and SDH WBE cards can be reprogrammed in the field to correct this issue.
The ETSI and SDH version of WBE card require that the extended info field of the EEPROM contain
SDH=Y to be recognized by the SW. Affected WBE cards do not have this information in this required field.
ETSI and SDH WBE cards are not recognized by software, the "Mismatch Equipment Alarm" message appears, and the card does not boot.
There is no reason to RMA affected cards as ETSI and SDH WBE cards can be reprogrammed in the field to correct this issue. Complete these steps in order to reprogram the EEPROM:
- Log in to the node: telnet <node IP> (default login:CISCO15; passwd:otbu+1).
- Enable telnet access to line cards: setTelnetRelay <slotNum>.
- Close telnet session to the node.
- Log in to card in slot : telnet 200<SlotNum> (l:CISCO15; p:otbu+1)
- Issue the si command and check that you are in slot <SlotNum>.
- Issue the idpromDisplay command. Verify that there is no SDH=Y in the Extended Information [string] field.
- If there is no SDH=Y, issue the idpromSet command.
- Repeatedly type return until you reach the Extended Information [string] field. It reports: DIAGBOOT=NO;
- Type: DIAGBOOT=NO; SDH=Y
- Repeatedly type return to the end.
- Issue the idpromDisplay command, and verify that the Extended Information [string] reports DIAGBOOT=NO; SDH=Y.
- Issue the reboot command.
How To Identify Hardware Levels
All hardware potentially impacted by this issue are listed by part number in this field notice. In order to determine the part number of your effected hardware, open Cisco Transport Controller, or Cisco Transport Manager:
- From the Shelf View, select Inventory.
- From the Inventory tab, locate the potentially effected cards and compare the information from the Inventory tab against the Products Affected section.
If you use TL1 commands:
Compare the information from the TL1 inventory command against the Products Affected section.
For More Information
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this field notice, please contact the Cisco Systems Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Receive Email Notification For New Field Notices
Product Alert Tool - Set up a profile to receive email updates about reliability, safety, network security, and end-of-sale issues for the Cisco products you specify.