Secure Communications Between Branch Offices
Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN) is a Cisco IOS Software solution for building scalable IPsec Virtual Private Networks (VPNs). Cisco DMVPN uses a centralized architecture to provide easier implementation and management for deployments that require granular access controls for diverse user communities, including mobile workers, telecommuters, and extranet users.
Cisco DMVPN allows branch locations to communicate directly with each other over the public WAN or Internet, such as when using voice over IP (VOIP) between two branch offices, but doesn't require a permanent VPN connection between sites. It enables zero-touch deployment of IPsec VPNs and improves network performance by reducing latency and jitter, while optimizing head office bandwidth utilization.
- Lowers capital and operational expenses -- Reduces costs in integrating voice, video with VPN security
- Simplifies branch communications -- Enables direct branch-to-branch connectivity for business applications like voice
- Reduces deployment complexity -- Offers a zero-touch configuration, dramatically reducing the deployment complexity in VPNs
- Improves business resiliency -- Prevents disruption of business-critical applications and services by incorporating routing with standards-based IPsec technology
- Cisco IOS DMVPN Overview (PDF - 2 MB)