® Unified Communications Solutions unify voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks, enabling easy collaboration every time from any workspace.
Cisco Unified Personal Communicator is a client application that provides easy, unified access to your most frequently used communications applications and services - soft phone, presence, instant messaging, visual voicemail, employee directory, communication history, video, and web conferencing - to help you effectively communicate and collaborate from anywhere you have an Internet connection.
Communicate More Effectively
Today's global, distributed work environment has resulted in significant challenges for workers, making it harder to connect with the right people and significantly increasing the quantity and modes of communications. Cisco Unified Personal Communicator improves productivity and speeds business processes by giving you quick and easy access to a unified set of communication tools (Figure 1). For example, using the integrated directory and dynamic presence information, you can find and check the availability of colleagues and partners. The application includes enterprise instant messaging capabilities so you can communicate in real time on time-sensitive business processes and avoid "phone tag." The integrated voice, video, and conferencing capabilities let you place phone calls, exchange ideas "face-to-face," and collaborate on documents. You can also view and listen to voice messages quickly and easily. With Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, your communication and collaboration tools are always available from anywhere you work, enabling smarter, more-effective communications.
Figure 1. Example of Cisco Unified Personal Communicator
Reduce Communication Delays with Rich Presence and Contact Information
Cisco Unified Personal Communicator lets you see the availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside your organization. Contact availability is updated dynamically using information collected from a variety of sources by the always-on network-based presence engine. You can immediately see who is offline, available, busy, on the phone, or in the do-not-disturb state. Customized availability states, such as "in a customer meeting" can be created to provide added context, and you can let others know how you prefer to be contacted. Contact cards provide additional contact information and multiple options for initiating communications. These capabilities help reduce communication delays and result in faster decision making and enhanced productivity.
Quickly Communicate with Borderless Enterprise-Class Instant Messaging
Instant messaging is an important communication option that lets you efficiently interact in today's multitasking business environment. Cisco Unified Personal Communicator delivers enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities that are based on the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) open standard and powered by Jabber technology. The solution provides personal chat, group chat, and persistent chat rooms so you can quickly connect with individuals and groups and conduct ongoing conversations. Client-side history and server-based logging capabilities allow you to view the content of prior chats and to store messages for convenience, compliance, and regulation purposes. Instant messaging is seamlessly integrated with other communication capabilities so you can simply move between individual and group chats to audio and video conversations and web conferences. Cisco Unified Personal Communicator lets you securely communicate with other organizations that use Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco WebEx
™ Connect, Microsoft Office Communicator, IBM Lotus Sametime, GoogleTalk, or any XMPP-based service. Cisco Unified Personal Communicator's enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities provide more-efficient, flexible, and borderless collaboration.
Bring Business-Class IP Telephony and Video to the Desktop
Cisco Unified Personal Communicator delivers business-quality audio and video. The application is deployed with the market-leading Cisco Unified Communications Manager call control solution and includes an integrated soft phone with wide-band and high-fidelity audio, standards-based high-definition video (720p), and desk phone control features. These features mean that high-quality and high-availability audio and video telephony are available at all locations and to users' desk phones, soft clients, and mobile devices. Cisco's commitment to open standards and extensive audio and video interoperability testing eliminates the worry about what device is being used by other parties. Cisco Unified Personal Communicator makes audio and video communications a simple click away.
Accelerate Team Performance with Multiparty Conferencing
Cisco Unified Personal Communicator is integrated with Cisco conferencing solutions, such as Cisco WebEx and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace
® solutions, so you can instantly share documents and expand chats and conversations to multiparty audio, web, and video conferences. Because Cisco Unified Personal Communicator and Cisco conferencing solutions use standards-based audio and video technologies, the effective face-to-face collaboration of video conversations and multiparty video conferences can be extended to include participants and conferencing rooms with other standards-based video endpoints.
Accelerate Adoption with an Intuitive User Experience
Cisco Unified Personal Communicator delivers unified communications to the desktop through an engaging user interface. The intuitive visual design promotes adoption of basic as well as advanced capabilities and integrates rich communications into the natural work flow to deliver the efficiency and productivity promised by unified communications. Availability information and communication options are made available throughout the application - such as in the visual voicemail and chat interfaces - enabling more efficient real-time collaboration.
Collaborate from Common Business Applications
Cisco Unified Personal Communicator's capabilities can be accessed from common desktop applications such as Microsoft Outlook, SharePoint, web browsers, and other Microsoft Office applications. Saved time and streamlined processes result by allowing you to see user availability and initiate communications such as personal and group audio, video, and chat sessions without having to switch between applications.
Choose from Flexible Deployment Options
With Cisco Unified Communications, organizations can deploy the full solution or only selected capabilities. For instance, you can deploy Cisco Unified Presence and Cisco Unified Personal Communicator as an enterprise instant messaging-only solution. Cisco Unified Personal Communicator has an intelligent user interface that adapts to expose the services available. So whether you are deploying cost-effective presence and instant messaging-only or complete unified communications, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator helps ensure that capabilities are presented in an intuitive manner that facilitates adoption.
Features and Benefits
• Communication integration: Use a single, intuitive interface for voice and video calls, instant messaging with individuals and groups, persistent chat rooms, voicemail playback, web conferencing, communication history, and integrated directories.
• Presence: View real-time availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside the enterprise network.
– Exchange and display presence availability information of users with Microsoft Office Communicator, IBM Lotus Sametime, Cisco WebEx Connect, Jabber clients, Cisco Unified IP Phones, GoogleTalk users, and any user with a client based on the XMPP standard.
– You can also display customized availability messages, including messages that persist while you are offline.
– Show your availability based on the free and busy status in your Microsoft Outlook Calendar and Exchange Server.
– Use the Do Not Disturb (DND) availability state to easily block incoming communications. The DND status is automatically synchronized between your Cisco Unified Personal Communicator and Cisco Unified IP Phone to help ensure privacy for both instant messaging and phone communications.
– Exchange presence information with mobile handsets using Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator.
• Enterprise Instant messaging: Chat in real time using instant messaging to save time and reduce phone tag.
– Point-to-point chats and group chat can be initiated in a number of ways.
– Persistent chat rooms are available for ongoing discussions.
– Send instant messages to offline contacts, and they will receive them when they connect to the application
– Maintain a personal instant messaging history for your reference.
– Chat with internal and external contacts even if they are using other chat clients on their computers or mobile devices: for instance, any XMPP-based client (Adium, iChat, Trillion, Pidgin, etc.), Microsoft Office Communicator, IBM Lotus Sametime, or Jabber clients.
• Interdomain federation: Exchange presence information and instant messages between organizations that are both running Cisco Unified Presence, or between organizations when one is using Cisco Unified Presence and the other is using Cisco WebEx Connect, Microsoft Live Communications, Microsoft Office Communications Server (OCS), IBM Lotus Sametime, or any Jabber Extensible Communications Platform. Federation with the GoogleTalk service is also natively supported.
• Contact list: Search both your personal contact list and your corporate directory from one easy-to-use interface to locate and initiate any form of communication with contacts quickly and simply.
• Media escalation: Add communication methods during a conversation; for example, you can turn an instant messaging session into a phone call, add video to an audio conversation, or add web conferencing to an existing instant message, audio, or video conversation. Media escalations are as easy as clicking a button for both point-to-point and group chat, audio, video, and web communications.
• Integrated voice and video telephony: Exchange ideas face to face with a coordinated video display on the PC screen and audio conversation with a soft phone or desk phone.
– Business-quality communication is supported in a variety of video resolutions up to and including high-definition (720p) and high-fidelity wide-band audio.
– A variety of call control options are available, including park and retrieve, call transfer, call forwarding, on-demand conferencing, and the capability to easily move an active call to a mobile or other telephony device.
– The enterprise-class IP telephony reliability and failover features of Cisco Unified Communications Manager are supported.
• IP phone control: Use Cisco Unified Personal Communicator to control your desktop Cisco Unified IP Phone to make, receive, and control audio and video calls. Call control capabilities such as call transfers, escalation to on-demand conferences, call parking and retrieval, call forwarding, and movement of active calls to other devices such as mobile phones are also available to meet your real-time communications needs.
• Conferencing: Initiate multiparty audio, video and web conferences.
– Group chat, persistent chat rooms, and audio and video conference sessions are as simple as clicking a button, eliminating the need to use other applications and interfaces to schedule, invite, or join conferences.
– Initiate a Cisco Unified MeetingPlace or Cisco WebEx web conference to share content, such as a presentation document or your desktop.
• Visual voice message access: Access and manage your voice messages.
– View, play back, sort, and delete voice messages from Cisco Unity® or Cisco Unity Connection.
– Secure messaging is provided, with support for private and encrypted voice messages.
• Microsoft application and browser integration: Use Cisco Unified Personal Communicator's contact availability information and communication features from other desktop applications to save time by not having to switch between applications, look up contact information, or dial telephone numbers.
– See user availability and click to place audio or video calls and initiate chat sessions or launch web conferencing sessions directly from Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft SharePoint.
– Click to dial or click to chat with an individual or an entire distribution list from within your Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft SharePoint contacts list, calendar, or emails.
– Click to place audio or video calls to any number from within Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel as well as Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers.
– Insert TEL: URI links in webpages or other web-based applications for effortless click-to-call capability from any browser.
• Localization: Languages supported include Arabic, Chinese (traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese), Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Polish, and Turkish.
The computer requirements and Cisco Unified Communications system requirements for Cisco Unified Personal Communicator are listed in Tables 1 and 2.
Table 1. Computer Requirements of Cisco Unified Personal Communicator for Microsoft Windows
720p HD Video
Available disk space
Available disk space before application is started
Minimum Windows Experience Index (WEI) processor score
5.9 or a system with four or more CPU cores
Video Card - DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with this minimum video RAM
If USB audio and video devices are used, USB 2.0 is required.
HD-capable USB 2.0 web camera, HDMI capture card, and HD camera.
Note: A list of vendors that have verified their devices for use with Cisco Unified Personal Communicator through the Cisco Technology Developer Program is available at http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/ctdp/Search.pl. These devices have passed lab tests and met interoperability criteria, helping ensure that Cisco product specifications are met.
Table 2. Cisco Unified Communications System Requirements
Cisco Unified Communications Manager
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1: 6.1(4) or later
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.0: 7.0(2a) or later
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1: 7.1(2) or later
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.0: 8.0(1) or later
Cisco Unified Presence
Cisco Unified Presence 8.0(2) or later
• Microsoft Active Directory 2008
• Microsoft Active Directory 2003
• OpenLDAP 2.4
Cisco Unified IP Phones
Cisco Unified IP Phones required for Deskphone Control mode (Note: Not all phone loads support computer telephony integration [CTI]; refer to Cisco Unified Communications Manager System Guide for more information)
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 6900 Series; see release notes for specific models supported
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series; see release notes for specific models supported
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 8900 Series; see release notes for specific models supported
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 9900 Series; see release notes for specific models supported
Required for web conference escalation:
• Cisco Unified MeetingPlace 7.0 or 8.0
• Cisco WebEx Meeting Center used with Cisco Unified MeetingPlace on-premises scheduler
Required for voicemail playback:
• Cisco Unity Connection 7.1(4) or later, 8.0(1)
• Cisco Unity 7.0(2) ES19 or later, 8.0
Required for impromptu video conferencing:
• Cisco Unified Videoconferencing 5.7, 7.0, or 7.1
• Cisco Unified MeetingPlace 8.0
• Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Express-VT 2.0
Note: Not all features are supported with all versions of system components. Please refer to individual product release notes for more information about supported features.
To place an order, visit the
Cisco Ordering homepage and refer to Table 3. To download software, visit the Cisco Software Center.
This product is a part of Cisco Unified Workspace licensing. Please visit
http://www.cisco.com/go/workspace_licensing for more information and to determine whether Cisco Unified Workspace licensing is appropriate for your customer.
Table 3. Ordering Information
Cisco Unified Personal Communicator
• With each order, you will receive a product authorization key (PAK) and a document confirming your Cisco Unified Personal Communicator purchase and notifying you of the location to download the software.
• All Cisco Unified IP Phones, including Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, require the purchase of a phone technology license.
• Cisco Unified Personal Communicator is available as part of the Cisco eDelivery application. With Cisco eDelivery, partners can assist customers in managing and downloading their software license entitlement documentation, including Right To Use, End User License Agreement, and License Claim Form, through the email channel rather than relying on paper delivery.
Cisco Unified Communications Services
Cisco and our certified partners can help you deploy a secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications solution so you can meet aggressive deployment schedules and accelerate your business advantage. The Cisco portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks.
The unique Cisco lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the solution lifecycle. Customized planning and design services focus on creating a solution that meets your business needs. Award-winning technical support increases operational efficiency. Remote management services simplify day-to-day operations, and optimization services enhance solution performance as your business needs change.