The Cisco Nexus
® 7700 F3-Series 24-Port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Module (referred to as the Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module in this document) offers outstanding feature flexibility and wire-rate performance on each port. The module enables the deployment of high-density, low-latency, scalable data center architecture.
Powering Cisco's Unified Fabric Architecture
The Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches are the foundation of the Cisco
® Unified Fabric solution. Designed to meet the requirements of mission-critical data centers, these switches deliver exceptional availability, outstanding scalability, and the proven and comprehensive Cisco NX-OS Software data center switching feature set.
The Cisco Nexus 7700 platform is the latest extension to the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series modular switches. With more than 83 terabits per second (Tbps) of overall switching capacity, the Cisco Nexus 7700 platform delivers the highest-capacity 10, 40, and 100 Gigabit Ethernet ports in the industry, with up to 768 native 10-Gbps ports, 384 40-Gbps ports, and 192 100-Gbps ports. This high system capacity is designed to meet the scalability requirements of the largest cloud environments.
The Cisco Nexus 7700 switches have operation and feature consistency with the existing Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches, using a common system architecture, the same application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) technology, and the same proven Cisco NX-OS Software releases.
The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module (Figure 1) is a low-latency, high-performance, high-density 40 Gigabit Ethernet module designed for the Cisco Nexus 7700 platform to deliver up to 384 wire-rate 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports in a single Cisco Nexus 7700 18-Slot Switch chassis (Table 1).
Figure 1. Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series Module
Table 1. Cisco Nexus 7700 Platform Switches 40 Gigabit Ethernet Maximum Port Density
Cisco Nexus 7700 Chassis
Maximum Wire-Rate Port Density
Cisco Nexus 7700 18-Slot Switch
Cisco Nexus 7700 10-Slot Switch
Cisco Nexus 7700 6-Slot Switch
The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module is based on the Cisco Nexus F3-Series switch-on-chip (SoC) ASIC. This type of design increases performance while lowering the power and cooling requirements of the module. The Cisco Nexus F3-Series SoC is an innovative Cisco-designed ASIC powered by a flexible packet engine which makes it excellent for building the network infrastructure for public and private cloud environments. The Cisco Nexus F3-Series engine supports all the foundational networking protocols needed to build Layer 2 and Layer 3 networks, but it also can support highly virtualized environments, enabling virtual overlay networking with hardware support for Cisco Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) and Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) technologies. Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-series hardware enables customers to transparently interconnect their data centers with protocols such as Overlay Transport Virtualization (OTV) and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS).
The module delivers 1.44 billion packets per second (bpps) of distributed Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding and up to 960 Gbps of data throughput. A Cisco Nexus 7700 18-Slot Switch fully populated with the Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module can deliver up to 23 bpps and 30.7 terabits per second (Tbps) of switching performance.
Features and Benefits
The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module integrates a broad set of data center switching technologies, including industry standards and Cisco's own innovations. It combines the benefits of classical fabric interface line cards with the advanced routing features of edge interface modules. With this integration, the module provides exceptional investment protection for organizations consolidating their data center environments while migrating to dense multiservice 40 Gigabit Ethernet networks.
• The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module is powered by the proven and comprehensive Cisco NX-OS feature set. This extremely comprehensive set of Layer 2 and Layer 3 functions makes this module excellent for data center networks, in which density, performance, and continuous system operation are critical.
• The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module is a critical enabler of Cisco FabricPath. With Cisco FabricPath, organizations can build resilient, flexible, and if needed, massively scalable Layer 2 networks. Cisco FabricPath protects enterprises' investments by allowing existing spanning-tree-based deployments to be connected to a Cisco FabricPath network.
• The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module can be used in conjunction with the Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders (FEX). The Cisco Nexus 2000 Series is designed to simplify data center architecture and operations by dramatically reducing the number of points of management
• The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module delivers integrated Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), greatly simplifying the network infrastructure and reducing costs by enabling the deployment of unified data center fabrics to consolidate data center traffic onto a single, general-purpose, high-performance, highly available network. With the Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module, FCoE can be deployed in director-class modular platforms for the access layer and core of converged networks.
• The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module provides support for wire-rate VXLAN, offering the architectural flexibility needed to expand cloud deployments with repeatable pods in different Layer 2 domains. VXLAN can also enable migration of virtual machines between servers across Layer 3 networks.
• The support of advanced data center interconnect (DCI) protocols such as Cisco OTV and VPLS makes the module excellent for helping customers simplify the extension of applications across geographically dispersed data center sites.
• The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module supports high-performance MPLS for 40 Gigabit Ethernet data center deployments.
• Support of Cisco LISP enables enterprises and service providers to simplify multi-homed routing and facilitates scalable any-to-any WAN connectivity while supporting data center virtual machine mobility.
• The virtual device context (VDC) feature helps enable the virtualization of a single physical device in one or more logical devices. Each provisioned logical device is configured and managed as if it were a separate physical device.
• The Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module offers exceptional security with integrated hardware support for:
– Configurable Control-Plane Policing (CoPP), which protects the supervisor CPU from excessive traffic
– Access control list (ACL) counters and logging capability to provide deeper packet visibility
– Layer 2 to Layer 4 ACL for both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic
– Cisco TrustSec® technology and ACL processing for security group tags (SGTs).
Note: This document describes capabilities of the Cisco Nexus F3-Series module hardware. Please consult your Cisco representative to confirm the appropriate Cisco NX-OS Software release required to enable these features.
Table 2 lists product specifications for the Cisco Nexus 7700 F3-Series module. Table 3 lists specifications for Cisco transceivers installed in the module's Quad Small Form-Factor Pluggable Plus (QSFP+) ports to enable connectivity over the physical medium. Refer to the release notes for up-to-date software version information to see which optics and copper assemblies are supported. Complete information about supported transceivers can be found at
Table 2. Product Specifications
Supported in all Cisco Nexus 7700 chassis
Contact your local account representative for software release availability
• Status: Green (operational), red (faulty), or orange (module booting)
• Link: Green (port enabled and connected), orange (port disabled), off (port enabled and not connected), or blinking green and orange in conjunction with ID LED blue (port flagged for identification; beacon)
• ID: Blue (operator has flagged this card for identification; beacon) or off (module not flagged)
• Scriptable command-line interface (CLI)
• Cisco Data Center Network Manager (DCNM) web services
• Tool Command Language (TCL) Interpreter
• Cisco Embedded Event Manager (EEM)
• Cisco One Platform Kit (OnePK)
24 ports of 40 Gigabit Ethernet (QSFP+)
Maximum port density
• 384 ports of 40 Gigabit Ethernet in Cisco Nexus 7700 18-Slot chassis
• 192 ports of 40 Gigabit Ethernet in Cisco Nexus 7700 10-Slot chassis
• 96 ports of 40 Gigabit Ethernet in Cisco Nexus 7700 6-Slot chassis
Queues per port
4 ingress, 8 egress
144 MB per module
Jumbo frame support for bridged and routed packets
Up to 9216 bytes
1.44 bpps of Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding capacity for both IPv4 and IPv6 packets
MAC address entries
4096 simultaneous VLANs per VDC
• Occupies one I/O module slot in a Cisco Nexus 7700 chassis
• Dimensions: 1.75 x 15.9 x 21.8 in. (4.4 x 40.39 x 55.37 cm)
• Weight: 17lb (7.7kg)
• Operating temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
• Operational relative humidity: 5 to 90%, noncondensing
• Storage temperature: -40 to 158°F (-40 to 70°C)
• Storage relative humidity: 5 to 95%, noncondensing
• EMC compliance
• FCC Part 15 (CFR 47) (USA) Class A
• ICES-003 (Canada) Class A
• EN55022 (Europe) Class A
• CISPR22 (International) Class A
• AS/NZS CISPR22 (Australia and New Zealand) Class A
• VCCI (Japan) Class A
• KN22 (Korea) Class A
• CNS13438 (Taiwan) Class A
• EN300 386
• NEBS criteria levels
• SR-3580 NEBS Level 3 (GR-63-CORE and GR-1089-CORE)
• Verizon NEBS compliance
• Telecommunications Carrier Group (TCG) Checklist
• Century Link NEBS requirements
• Telecommunications Carrier Group (TCG) Checklist
• ATT NEBS requirements
• ATT TP76200 level 3
• ETSI 300 019-2-1, Class 1.2 Storage
• ETSI 300 019-2-2, Class 2.3 Transportation
• ETSI 300 019-2-3, Class 3.2 Stationary Use
* Validation in Progress
• UL/CSA/IEC/EN 60950-1
• AS/NZS 60950
Cisco Nexus 7700 platform switches come with the standard Cisco 1-year limited hardware warranty
Table 3. 40 Gigabit Ethernet Interface Distances and Options
Cisco 40 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ Module
Fiber and Cable Type
Core Size (microns)/Modal Bandwidth (MHz*km)***
QSFP-H40G-CUxM (x=1, 3, or 5)
Direct-attach copper, passive
QSFP+ to QSFP+
1, 3, or 5m
QSFP-H40G-ACUxM (X=7 or 10)
Direct-attach copper, active
QSFP+ to QSFP+
7 or 10m
QSFP-4SFP10G-CU1M (x=1, 3, or 5)
Direct-attach breakout copper, passive
QSFP+ to 4 SFP+
1, 3, or 5m
QSFP-4X10G-ACxM (x=7 or 10)
Direct-attach breakout copper, active
QSFP+ to 4 SFP+
QSFP-H40G-AOCxM (x=1, 2, 3, 5, 7, or 10)
Active optical cable assembly
QSFP+ to QSFP+
1, 2, 3, 5, 7, or 10m
* Minimum cabling distance of 0.5m for -SR4 and -CSR4 modules, and 2m for -LR4 modules, according to the IEEE 802.3 standard
** Considered an engineered link with a maximum of 1 dB allocated to connectors and splice loss
*** Specified at transmission wavelength
Note: All Cisco QSFP+ modules and cables except QSFP-40G-CSR4 exceed IEEE specifications, helping ensure a link bit-error rate (BER) of better than 1E-15. QSFP-40G-CSR4 meets IEEE specifications, helping ensure a link BER of better than 1E-12.
Note: QSFP-40G-SR4 and QSFP-40G-CSR4 interfaces can be converted to four physically independent 10-Gbps interfaces with the use of an MTP/MPO fiber breakout cable.
Note: QSFP-40G-SR-BD is a 40G interface for duplex multimode fiber enabling short-reach links over up to 100m.
Cisco offers a wide range of services to help accelerate your success in deploying and optimizing the Cisco Nexus 7700 platform in your data center. Our innovative services are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners and are focused on helping you increase operating efficiency and improve your data center network. Cisco Advanced Services uses an architecture-led approach to help you align your data center infrastructure with your business goals and provide long-term value. Cisco SMARTnet
® Service helps you resolve mission-critical problems with direct access at any time to Cisco network experts and award-winning resources. With this service, you can take advantage of the Cisco Smart Call Home service capability, which offers proactive diagnostics and real-time alerts on your Cisco Nexus 7700 switch. Spanning the entire network lifecycle, Cisco Services helps increase investment protection, optimize network operations, support migration, and strengthen your IT expertise. For more information about Cisco Data Center Services, visit
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco Nexus 7700 platform, visit the product homepage at
http://www.cisco.com/go/nexus or contact your local account representative.