Improve the security and dependability of your network. Cisco® IPS Sensor Software Version 7.3 offers redundancy, network continuity, and increased threat protection in your data center or enterprise environment. This release is initially supported across the Cisco IPS 4300 and 4500 Series Sensors.
The new version of the Cisco IPS Sensor Software brings improved resiliency, better security, and simplified management.
• Improved Resiliency
– LACP Support: Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) is an industry standard (defined in IEEE 802.3ad) that is widely used for failover scenarios in the data center. It provides better network integration, resiliency, and scalability. Its network flow affinity design offers better performance than a single high-throughput device. For example, you can deploy up to eight Cisco IPS 4520-XL sensors in an LACP cluster for up to 80 Gbps average throughput.
– Hardware Bypass Support for Cisco IPS 4300 Series Sensors: Hardware bypass helps you ensure continuity for critical network segments. This feature is currently available on Cisco IPS 4500 Series Sensors. Cisco IPS Sensor Software Version 7.3 extends that support to the Cisco IPS 4300 Series Sensors.
• Better Security
– Signature Capacity: Cisco IPS Sensor Software Version 7.3 provides improved signature capacity to protect your organization from a wider range of threats.
– Web Security: Safeguard your organization against increasing levels of cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks. Cisco IPS Sensor Software Version 7.3 enhances inspection for web traffic, preventing client-side exploits by inspecting Base64-encoded traffic.
– Advanced Protection: Exploits can apply multiple evasion methods to bypass IPS detection mechanisms. Cisco IPS Sensor Software Version 7.3 enhances the inspection for the Microsoft Remote Procedure Call (MSRPC) request code execution vulnerability. It also adds support for Big-endian MSRPC traffic, SMB Predator Decoy trees evasion, and various other advanced evasion techniques used by exploits to avoid IPS detection.
• Simplified Management
– Threat Profiles: Save time tuning and managing your solution. Threat profiles offer guidance of Cisco best practices for different deployments so you can deploy and tune Cisco IPS sensors faster. Using an intuitive GUI interface, these profiles simplify the signature-tuning effort with preset groups of signatures designed for specific network locations. You can add protection to the data center, Internet edge, SCADA, Web applications, and others quickly and easily. Threat profiles minimize the manual tuning process for your deployment and will be delivered along with signature sets as part of the signature updates.
Cisco IPS Sensor Software Versions 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2 can be upgraded to Version 7.3.
Existing Cisco IPS customers with Cisco SMARTnet
® service contracts can easily download Cisco IPS Sensor Software Version 7.3, which is scheduled to be available in January 2014, at no additional cost. The software release prices will be available on the Cisco price list for customers without service contracts.
Table 1. Ordering Information for Cisco IPS Sensor Software Version 7.3