Cisco® Wide Area Application Services (WAAS) delivers a comprehensive, cost-effective, cloud-ready WAN optimization solution. Cisco WAAS accelerates applications, optimizes bandwidth, provides local hosting of branch-office IT services, and enables a smooth evolution to cloud-based services. Cisco WAAS improves end user productivity by accelerating application delivery and improves IT staff productivity through simplified service integration while maintaining a low total cost of ownership (TCO), and increased business agility with network integration.
Cisco WAAS enables organizations to accomplish crucial business objectives including:
● Consolidate and virtualize data centers
● Deploy desktop virtualization technologies to branch locations
● Deploy new, multimedia applications such as live streaming video and video on demand (VoD)
● Deliver high-performance cloud services and software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications
● Reduce WAN bandwidth requirements and defer expensive bandwidth upgrades
● Consolidate branch-office servers
● Improve application performance as experienced by the end users
Cisco WAAS Software Version 4.4 provides the following key features:
● Context-aware data redundancy elimination (DRE): Cisco WAAS provides the industry’s first Context-aware DRE solution designed to address the differing needs of existing web, file, and client-server applications as well as emerging applications such as virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), cloud, and high-quality live video. Cisco WAAS can change the DRE caching behavior on a per-application basis to achieve improved application response times and throughput while preserving peer resiliency and fault isolation.
● Integrated application performance monitoring (APM): The Cisco WAAS Central Manager provides network administrators with enhanced visibility into application performance by extracting correlated data from the Cisco Network Analysis Module (NAM) and presenting critical application metrics directly from the central manager. Benefits and capabilities include:
- New reporting capabilities including reports on top talkers and application response times as well as before-and-after snapshot reports
- Support for all Cisco WAAS form factors including Cisco WAAS Appliances, Integrated Services Router (ISR G2 SRE) Modules, Virtual WAAS (vWAAS), and WAAS Express
- Streamlined configuration of Cisco WAAS Central Manager and NAM
● Web Cache Control Protocol (WCCP) service groups: Cisco WAAS now supports WCCP service groups enabling customers to run multiple Cisco WAAS server farms with different interception and redirection policies from a single router.
● Configurable failover timers: Cisco WAAS provides enhanced failover support with configurable failover timers as low as 9 seconds.
Unique Cisco WAAS Advantages
Cisco WAAS offers numerous benefits that distinguish it from other WAN optimization products.
Cisco WAAS Offers the Most Choices for WAN Optimization with the Broadest Portfolio on the Market Today
● Software-based WAN optimization solutions
- Cisco WAAS Software on Cisco ISR Generation 2 (G2) provides router-integrated, on-demand WAN optimization for branch offices. The Cisco Services-Ready Engine (SRE) Modules on the Cisco ISR G2 platform decouples software services from the underlying hardware and can deliver WAN optimization as an on-demand service as required by business objectives and IT budget. This approach makes better use of existing investments while offering business agility.
- Cisco vWAAS is a virtual appliance that accelerates business applications delivered from private and virtual private cloud infrastructure, helping ensure an optimal user experience. Cisco vWAAS enables cloud providers to rapidly create WAN optimization services with little network configuration or disruption in cloud-based environments by using policy-based configuration in Cisco Nexus® 1000V Series Switches, which allows association with application server virtual machines as they are instantiated or moved.
- Cisco WAAS Express extends the Cisco WAAS product portfolio with a small-footprint, cost-effective Cisco IOS® Software solution integrated into Cisco ISR G2 devices to offer bandwidth optimization capabilities. Cisco WAAS Express increases remote user productivity, reduces WAN bandwidth costs, and offers investment protection by interoperating with existing Cisco WAAS infrastructure.
- Cisco WAAS Mobile delivers bidirectional compression, application-specific accelerators, and flow optimizers for mobile or remote users in situations in which neither an appliance nor a branch-office router is available or practical, or for public cloud environments that cannot support an appliance.
● Full appliance portfolio
- Branch-office appliances support Cisco WAAS virtual blades for local hosting of branch-office IT services, reducing the branch-office footprint.
- Scalable data center platforms support small to large data centers across a wide range of deployment scenarios and price points.
Cisco WAAS Offers a Proven End-to-End Architectural Approach with Validated Designs to Lower TCO and Ease Deployment Challenges
Cisco WAAS is the only WAN optimization solution that has published jointly validated designs with major application vendors such as Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, and IBM. Validated designs assist Cisco customers by offering best practices to successfully incorporate IT infrastructure such as Cisco switches, routers, security devices, and servers, thus significantly reducing the risk of deploying WAN optimization to accelerate these applications. Coupled with award-winning Cisco global support and advanced services, Cisco WAAS gives customers a significant set of resources to help ensure full network integration while reducing maintenance costs and deployment time.
For example, with Microsoft, Cisco has developed an optimized branch-office architecture that uses Cisco WAAS to optimize performance of centralized applications such as Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, and file services, while most Microsoft Windows branch-office services and applications can be locally hosted on Cisco WAAS devices using Cisco WAAS virtual blades. The Cisco WAAS optimization for Microsoft Windows protocols was developed with Microsoft, and the relevant intellectual property rights (IPRs) are licensed from Microsoft.
Network Services Integration Provides Transparent, Secure, and Reliable Application Performance
Cisco WAAS transparent architecture enables integration into the network and preservation of existing network services, thereby making WAN acceleration easy to deploy and operate.
● Network transparency and preservation of IP and TCP header information allows ease of operation and interoperability with network services such as quality of service (QoS), NetFlow, access control lists (ACLs), firewalls, Cisco Performance Routing (PfR), and IP service-level agreements (SLAs).
● Cisco WAAS offers automatic discovery of optimization devices, simplifying operations for all types of WAN architectures (including Multiprotocol Label Switching [MPLS], hierarchical networks, and hub-and-spoke topologies).
● Cisco WAAS integrates with all the Cisco firewalls - Cisco IOS Firewall, Cisco PIX® Firewall Software, Cisco ASA 5500 Series Enterprise Firewall Edition, and Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series Firewall Services Module (FWSM) - to provide the only solution in the industry that gives customers full stateful firewall inspection and network virus-scanning capabilities for accelerated traffic.
● For inline deployments, Cisco WAAS offers a low-latency voice-over-IP (VoIP) traffic bypass feature that has been stress-tested with Cisco VoIP test beds.
Cisco WAAS provides flexible deployment options, as shown in Figure 1 and summarized in Table 1.
Table 1. Cisco WAAS Flexible Deployment Options
Features and Benefits
Table 2 summarizes the main features and benefits of Cisco WAAS. For detailed information about acceleration for mobile users, please refer to the Cisco WAAS Mobile data sheet. For the features and benefits of Cisco WAAS Express, please refer to the Cisco WAAS Express data sheet.
Table 2. Main Benefits and Features of Cisco WAAS
Cisco WAAS offers the following licenses based on feature capabilities:
● Cisco WAAS Transport license: This license provides the WAN optimization features of Cisco WAAS, including DRE, Lempel-Ziv (LZ) compression, and TFO, optimizing application delivery to the branch office.
● Cisco WAAS Enterprise license: This license provides Transport license functions plus application-specific accelerations for protocols including CIFS, MAPI, HTTP, SSL, NFS, and Microsoft Windows print services, to facilitate application acceleration, WAN optimization, and IT consolidation.
● Cisco WAAS Live Video license: This add-on license provides wide-scale delivery of live video to the branch office across the WAN. It offers automated edge-stream splitting to help ensure that only one video stream is downloaded over the WAN regardless of the number of users in the branch office viewing that stream. This option is available only when the Cisco WAAS Enterprise license is ordered.
● Cisco WAAS Virtual Blade license: This add-on license enables local hosting of server OS and applications on Cisco WAAS appliances. This option is available only when the Cisco WAAS Enterprise license is ordered and is available for Cisco WAVE-274, WAVE-474, WAVE-574, and WAE-674 with Cisco WAAS Software Versions 4.1 or later.
● Cisco WAAS Virtual Blade license with Microsoft Windows Server Core 2008: This add-on license offers organizations flexible delivery of branch-office IT services while reducing the device footprint. The first set of certified and supported hosted services includes Microsoft Windows Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, and print as part of the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 core services. This option is available only when the Cisco WAAS Enterprise license is ordered and is available for Cisco WAVE-274, WAVE-474, WAVE-574, and WAE-674 with Cisco WAAS Software Versions 4.1 or later.
Cisco vWAAS is offered only starting with Cisco WAAS Software Version 4.3.1 and supports only the Enterprise license option. For details about models, pricing, and sizing, please contact your local Cisco account representative.
For ordering information, please contact your local Cisco account representative.
Upgrade from Cisco WAAS Software Versions 4.0 Through 4.3
Customers who have an active Software Application Support plus Upgrades (SASU) contract in place can upgrade from Cisco WAAS Software Versions 4.0 through 4.3 to Version 4.4 with no additional cost.
Web Cache Communication Protocol, or WCCP, is a free Cisco IOS Software feature that runs on the following Cisco platforms:
● Cisco routers such as the Cisco 1800, 2800, and 3800 Series ISRs; Cisco 1900, 2900, and 3900 Series ISR G2; Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches; and Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers.
● Cisco switches such as the Cisco Catalyst 3750, 4500, and 6500 Series Switches and Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches.
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco Services offerings help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, seeand .
For More Information
For more information about Cisco WAAS Software Version 4.4, visitor contact your local account representative.