PDF(151.3 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Mar 14, 2007
Cisco 7609-S Router
® 7609-S Router is a high-performance router deployed at the network edge, where performance, IP services, redundancy, and fault resiliency are critical. It enables Carrier Ethernet service providers to deploy an advanced network infrastructure that supports a range of IP video and triple-play (voice, video, and data) system applications in both the residential and business services markets. The Cisco 7609-S enables enterprises to deploy advanced WAN and metropolitan-area network (MAN) networking solutions necessary to succeed in demanding, high-traffic environments.
Providing the foundation for a powerful combination of speed and services, the 9-slot Cisco 7609-S Router is an outstanding choice for multiple applications. Whether deployed as a high-speed WAN aggregator, as a device for peering, as a residential broadband services aggregator, or as a device for Metro Ethernet aggregation and uplink, the Cisco 7609-S meets requirements for redundancy, high availability, and rack density. In the point-of-presence (POP) service provider edge or the metropolitan network edge, the Cisco 7609-S sets new standards as part of the industry-leading Cisco 7600 Series Routers (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco 7609-S Chassis
With a forwarding rate of up to 400-Mpps distributed and 720-Gbps total throughput, the Cisco 7609-S provides performance and reliability with options for redundant route processors and power supplies. The inclusion of two Gigabit Ethernet ports on the Cisco Catalyst
® 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 with the Multilayer Switch Feature Card 3 (MSFC-3) or the new Cisco Route Switch Processor 720 (RSP 720) with the MSFC-4 used in the Cisco 7609-S eliminates the need for a line-card slot for uplink ports. The result of this design is more efficient use of available line-card slots and increased deployment flexibility. Four Gigabit Ethernet ports are available for use in dual-route processor configurations.
As part of the Cisco 7600 Series, the Cisco 7609-S Router is an enhancement on the highly successful 9-slot chassis (Cisco 7609). This enhanced chassis delivers numerous design improvements, including:
• Improved failover mechanisms in the hardware which when paired with the proper Cisco IOS® Software image, can achieve 100 ms failover
• Ability to deliver higher power of up to 750W per slot
• Redundant high-speed fan tray module with five speeds on a front-to-back airflow design
• Better thermal flow measurement and management
The power supplies supported on the Cisco 7609-S are the 4000W, 6000W (AC and DC), and 3000W AC power supplies (refer to Table 1).
Shared port adaptors (SPAs) on the SPA interface processors (SIPs) are available on the Cisco 7600 Series with interface speeds ranging from OC-3 to OC-192 and from Fast Ethernet to 10 Gigabit Ethernet. The Cisco 7600 Series can also use the Cisco 7600 Series/Catalyst 6500 Series Enhanced FlexWAN Module to take advantage of most Cisco 7200 and 7500 Port Adapters for terminating DS-0 to OC-3 speeds. By using the Cisco Catalyst 6000 Series of Ethernet line cards in conjunction with the SIP-based SPAs and the enhanced FlexWAN module, the Cisco 7600 provides a multitude of options to scale WAN connectivity from DS-0 to OC-192 and LAN connectivity from 10-Mbps Ethernet through 10 Gigabit Ethernet.
The Cisco 7609-S chassis accommodates a broad selection of line cards supporting numerous applications, including:
• SPAs and SIPs (Cisco 7600 Series SPA Interface Processor-200 [SIP-200], SIP-400, and SIP-600):
– Channelized T1/E1, Channelized T3, and Channelized OC-3/STM-1
– OC-3/STM-1, OC-12/STM-4, OC-48/STM-16 Packet over SONET/SDH (PoS), and OC-192/STM-64 PoS
– OC-3/STM-1 ATM, OC-12/STM-4 ATM, and OC-48/STM-16 ATM
– Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet
• Enhanced FlexWAN module: Supporting Cisco 7200 and 7500 WAN Port Adapters from DS-0 to OC-3 for channelized and ATM interfaces and also Fast Ethernet port adapters
• Services modules: IP Security (IPsec), firewall, distributed denial of service, intrusion detection systems, network analysis, and content switching commonly used, for example, in the Cisco Mobile Exchange solution
• Supervisor support:
– Cisco Route Switch Processor 720 (RSP720-3C-GE and RSP720-3CXL-GE)
– Cisco Route Switch Processor 720-10GE (RSP720-3C-10GE and RSP720-3CXL-10GE)
– Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 (WS-SUP32-GE-3B and WS-SUP32-10GE-3B)
– Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 720 (WS-SUP720-3B and WS-SUP720-3BXL)
The Cisco 7609-S incorporates many service provider and high-end enterprise carrier-class requirements. Line cards are vertically mounted for efficient cooling with front-to-back airflow. High availability is an inherent facet in the form of redundant power supplies and redundant fan-tray modules. Standard or extended cable-tray inserts provide unrestricted management of either fiber and coaxial or multiple conductor types with up to 48 10/100 cables per slot. Two chassis can be installed per 7-foot rack.
The flexible Cisco 7609-S Router is ideal for addressing high-performance applications such as:
Table 1 gives ordering information for the Cisco 7609-S.
Table 1. Cisco 7609-S Chassis Ordering Information
Spare Units (denoted by "=")
Spare Cisco 7609/CISC7609-S enhanced service-provider chassis (includes redundant tiered-speed fan trays, cable management tray with standard and extended depth inserts, and mounting kit)
Spare 6000W DC power supply for Cisco 7609/7609-S/7613
Spare AC power supply for the Cisco 7609/7609-S chassis
Spare 4000W DC power supply for Cisco 7609/7609-S/7613
Spare AC power supply for the Cisco 7609/7609-S chassis (30A circuit required); U.S./Japan cord attached
Spare AC power supply for Cisco 7609/7609-S chassis (30A circuit required); international cord attached
Cisco 7600 and Catalyst 6500 3000W AC power supply (spare)
High speed fan tray module for the Cisco 7609/7609-S chassis (can be used as the first or second tray)
Cable Tray Assembly for CISCO7609-S Spare
Spare mounting kit for the Cisco 7609/7609-S chassis for the default 19-in. rack
Filter cage assm CISCO7609/WS-C6509-NEB-A, no filter inserts
Set -five (5) replacement Filter inserts for FLTRASSM-09=
Blank Power Supply Cover for the 7609-S
Clock card for the Cisco 7609/7609-S chassis
• UL 60950
• IEC 60950
• EN 60950
• CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950
• AS/NZS 3260
• FCC Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
• ICES-003 Class A
• EN55022 Class A
• CISPR22 Class A
• AS/NZS 3548 Class A
• VCCI Class A
• ETS300 386
• GR-63-Core NEBS Level 3
• GR-1089-Core NEBS Level 3
• ETSI 300 019 Storage Class 1.1
• ETSI 300 019 Transportation Class 2.3
• ETSI 300 019 Stationary Use Class 3.1
Service and Support
Cisco offers numerous service and support offerings for both service provider and enterprise customers. Cisco has earned the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry by providing the world-class service and support necessary to deploy, operate, and optimize networks. Whether the goal is speed to market, maximizing network availability, or enhancing customer satisfaction and retention, Cisco is committed to the success of its customers.