Cisco 7604 Router
The Cisco® 7604 Router is a compact, high-performance router designed in a 4-slot form factor for deployment at the network edge, where robust performance and IP/Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) services are necessary to meet the requirements of both enterprises and service providers. It enables Carrier Ethernet service providers to deploy an advanced network infrastructure that supports a range of IP video and triple-play (voice, video, and data) system applications in both the residential and business services markets. The Cisco 7604 also delivers WAN and metropolitan-area network (MAN) networking solutions at the enterprise edge.
With a powerful combination of speed and services in a compact form factor, the Cisco 7604 is an outstanding choice for multiple applications. Whether deployed as a mobile Radio Access Network (RAN) preaggregation device, as a device for peering, as a residential broadband services aggregator, or as a device for Metro Ethernet aggregation and uplink, the Cisco 7604 meets requirements for redundancy, high availability, and rack density. In the point-of-presence (POP) enterprise edge or the metropolitan network edge, the Cisco 7604 sets new standards as part of the industry-leading Cisco 7600 Series Routers (Figure 1).
With a forwarding rate of up to 144-Mpps distributed and 320-Gbps total throughput, the Cisco 7604 provides performance and reliability with options for redundant route processors and power supplies. The inclusion of two Gigabit Ethernet ports on the Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 with the Multilayer Switch Feature Card 3 (MSFC-3) or the new Cisco Route Switch Processor 720 (RSP 720) with the MSFC-4 used in the Cisco 7604 eliminates the need for a line-card slot for uplink ports. The result of this design is more efficient use of available line-card slots and increased deployment flexibility. Four Gigabit Ethernet ports are available for use in dual-route processor configurations.
Shared port adaptors (SPAa) on the SPA interface processors ( SIPs) are available on the Cisco 7600 Series with interface speeds ranging from OC-3 to OC-192 and from Fast Ethernet to 10 Gigabit Ethernet. The Cisco 7600 Series can also use the Cisco 7600 Series/Catalyst 6500 Series Enhanced FlexWAN Module to take advantage of most Cisco 7200 and 7500 Port Adapters for terminating DS-0 to OC-3 speeds. By using the Cisco Catalyst 6000 Series of Ethernet line cards in conjunction with the SIP-based SPAs and the enhanced FlexWAN module, the Cisco 7600 provides a multitude of options to scale WAN connectivity from DS-0 to OC-192 and LAN connectivity from 10-Mbps Ethernet through 10 Gigabit Ethernet.
The Cisco 7604 chassis accommodates a broad selection of line cards supporting numerous applications, including:
● SPAs and SIPs (Cisco 7600 Series SPA Interface Processor-200 [SIP-200], SIP-400, and SIP-600):
- Channelized T1/E1, Channelized T3, and Channelized OC-3/STM-1
- OC-3/STM-1, OC-12/STM-4, OC-48/STM-16 Packet over SONET/SDH (PoS), and OC-192/STM-64 PoS
- OC-3/STM-1 ATM, OC-12/STM-4 ATM, and OC-48/STM-16 ATM
- Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet
● Enhanced FlexWAN module: Supporting Cisco 7200 and 7500 WAN Port Adapters from DS-0 to OC-3 for channelized and ATM interfaces and also Fast Ethernet port adapters
● High-density Ethernet services modules: 10/100 Mbps, Gigabit Ethernet, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet
● Services modules: IP Security (IPsec), firewall, distributed denial of service, intrusion detection, network analysis, and content switching commonly used, for example, in the Cisco Mobile Exchange solution
● Supervisor support: Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 (WS-SUP32-GE-3B and WS-SUP32-10GE-3B), Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 720 (WS-SUP720-3B and WS-SUP720-3BXL), and the new Cisco Route Switch Processor 720 (RSP720-3C and RSP720-3CXL)
The Cisco 7604 can be configured two ways: with a single supervisor engine and up to three line cards, or with dual supervisor engines and up to two line cards for high availability and redundancy. The Cisco 7604 also supports redundant 2700W (AC/DC) power supplies for increased availability. Understanding the need to use rack space efficiently, Cisco designed this router to be 8.75 inches tall (5 rack units [RUs]), with single-side connection management for both interface and power terminations. This setup allows placement of up to nine Cisco 7604 units per standard 7-foot rack.
The flexible Cisco 7604 Router is ideal for addressing high-performance applications such as:
● IP/MPLS provider edge
● Metro Ethernet access
● Enterprise WAN aggregation
● Mobile RAN preaggregation
● Residential subscriber aggregation
● Customer premises equipment (CPE)
● Leased line
Safety and environmental standards compliance
Minimum software release
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, refer to Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco Advanced Services.
For more information about the Cisco 7604 Router, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/7600 or contact your local Cisco account representative.