Q. When will the Cisco 7500 Series reach end-of-sale status?
A. The relevant dates are as follows:
• The end-of-life announcement date is December 15, 2006.
• The end-of-sale date is December 15, 2007.
• The end-of-software-maintenance releases date is December 14, 2008.
• The last date of support is December 13, 2012.
The last day to order the Cisco 7500 Series products is December 15, 2007. Port adapters used on the Cisco 7500 Series Router will remain orderable and are not affected by the end-of-sale announcement, since they are currently used on other platforms.
Q. Why is Cisco ending the sale now for the Cisco 7500 Series?
A. The Cisco 7500 Series has been deployed as a backbone router, reliably delivering business-critical network services for enterprise and service-provider customers. Cisco recognizes that in today's customer networks, there is a need for the higher levels of services integration and performance found in newer and more robust Cisco platforms. The Cisco 12000 Series, Cisco 7600 Series, Cisco Catalyst
® 6500 Series, and Cisco 7200 Series provide the advanced features, performance, flexibility, and investment protection required to support customer initiatives such as IP network convergence, security and compliance, Unified Communications, application optimization, and more. Many Cisco 7500 Series customers have already successfully migrated to these new platforms.
Q. What is the support plan for the Cisco 7500 Series?
A. Software maintenance support is available through December 15, 2008. Hardware maintenance support is available through December 15, 2012. For the Cisco 7500 Series image recommendations during the maintenance period, please consult your Cisco account manager.
Q. For service providers, which platform can I use to migrate from the Cisco 7500 Series?
A. The major recommended migration path for service providers is the Cisco 12000 Series. For Tier 2 or Tier 3 service providers, the Cisco 7600 Series, or Cisco 10000 Series router may also be an option.
Q. For enterprise customers, which platform can I use to migrate from the Cisco 7500 Series?
A. For enterprise customers, three platforms are recommended as migration path options: Cisco 7600 Series Routers, Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches, and Cisco 7200VXR Series Routers. Following is a summary of features and benefits for each platform in typical Cisco 7500 Series enterprise deployments.
Cisco 7500 Series to Cisco 7600 Series Migration Benefits
• Feature parity with a wide range of WAN interfaces.
• Investment protection with Enhanced FlexWAN
• Leading Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) features, including Layer 2 and 3 VPN, MPLS Traffic Engineering, and Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)
• Hardware-powered wire-rate access control list (ACL), 1 million routes in hardware
• Integrated security services in hardware (security services module support)
• Advanced traffic management and network instrumentation
Cisco 7500 Series to Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Migration Benefits
• Feature parity with the Cisco 7500 Series
• LAN/WAN consistency, Cisco IOS modularity, routing/MPLS features
• Integrated security: Firewall, IDS/IPS, leading IPsec VPN services in hardware
• High scalability/density
• Wire-rate ACL beyond 1 Gbps, 1 million routes in hardware
• Integrated security: Firewall up to 5 Gbps, IDS/IPS, IPsec VPN in hardware
• Advanced traffic management and network instrumentation
• Migrate to Ethernet with embedded intelligence for resilience
• Simplified operations provide Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for mainframe access
• High-density Layer 2 Ethernet switching
• Support for new services such as the Cisco Application Control Engine (ACE) and Wide-Area Application Services (WAAS)
Cisco 7500 Series to Cisco 7200VXR Series Migration Benefits
• Full feature and Cisco IOS Software release parity for up to OC-3 WAN aggregation requirements, including legacy protocol support
• Cost-effective migration solution for up to OC-3 WAN speeds
• High performance, hardware-based IPsec aggregation services
• Investment protection with support for all Cisco 7000 Series port/service adapters, allowing sharing and reuse of installed Cisco 7500 Series ports and adapters
• Latest feature support on Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4T, including latest integrated security/IPsec features such as Flexible Packet Matching, Virtual Tunnel Interface, and Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN)
Q. Is there a trade-in program for the Cisco 7500 Series? What other support is available during this transition?
A. Yes. Customers can use the Cisco Technology Migration Plan (TMP) to trade in products
and receive credit toward the purchase of new Cisco equipment. For more information about Cisco TMP, visit:
Cisco offers a comprehensive program with support and tools to help customers move their networks forward, from initial network assessment and consulting to network architecture design guidance and support through deployment. Key elements of the transition program include:
• Network assessment tools
• Professional services and consulting
• Cisco TMP
– Hardware trade-in credits
• Best practices and design guidance
– Solution reference network designs (SRNDs)
– Customer proof of concept (CPOC) labs
• Cisco TAC, partner, and account team support
Q. Do the replacement platforms have software parity with the Cisco 7500 Series?
A. The recommended migration platforms all have full or nearly full feature parity and full service parity with the Cisco 7500 Series platform. The Cisco 7200 Series offers comprehensive protocol support for legacy applications, while the Cisco 7600 Series and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series offer much higher performance and scalability.
Q. Where can I get more information on the end-of-sale and recommended migration options?