® Application-Oriented Networking 8340 Series Appliance is a new deployment form factor that expands the AON product family from Cisco Systems
®. It is part of a new class of Cisco Application-Oriented Networking (AON) products that provide an essential point of convergence between today's intelligent networks and applications based on highly distributed, service-oriented, and traditional architectures. Cisco AON technology embeds application intelligence into the network to better meet the underlying needs of applications for real-time visibility, security, event driven messaging, optimized delivery, and other core integration and deployment services.
Cisco AON 8340 Series Appliance offers the concentrated single-source performance and ease of use of a standalone appliance with the added value of being network-embedded It offers:
• Deployment flexibility within the umbrella of a network-embedded Cisco AON solution
• Leverages existing Cisco AON functionality optimizing deployment for numerous applications
• Offers High performance augmented by custom hardware acceleration
• Transparent integration and management as part of the existing infrastructure
Cisco AON's state-of-the-art design incorporates hardware and software components pre-integrated into a complete subsystem that can be flexibly deployed in enterprise data centers, service provider networks, or other scenarios as an embedded network function. Included with Cisco AON are software tools for managing and provisioning Cisco AON nodes (AON Management Console), as well as for designing application policies using a library of "bladelets" that can be configured in different sequences as required. Cisco AON also includes a software development kit and API for flexible extension to any custom environment, operation, or format (AON Development Studio)
Figure 1. Cisco® Application-Oriented Networking 8340 Series Appliance
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Cisco AON 8340 Series offers consistent functionality with existing Cisco Catalyst
® 6500 Series AON Module and Cisco Intermediate Session Router (ISR) Modules including:
• Intelligent Message Routing-Rich feature support (Content-Based Routing, Extensible Style Language Transformation [XSLT], load balancing, multiprotocol support etc.) to provide a central role as an intermediary in a highly heterogeneous application environment.
• Security-Rich feature support spanning access management and control, content inspection, message-level threat protection and auditing.
• Visibility-Ability to capture, process, and log highly granular message information.
• Extensibility-Included set of APIs to add custom adapters and bladelets.
Other features and benefits of Cisco AON 8340 Series Appliance include:
Table 1. Features and Benefits
Seamless Integration Into the Network
• Transparent interception and redirection of only interested application traffic from router or switch to Cisco AON appliance
• Cisco Discovery Protocol, which allows the appliance to be discovered (and managed) as a Cisco device
Secure, Closed, Hardened Device
• Extensive security testing and auditing procedures for device hardening
• Secure administration using Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol to Telnet into Cisco AON appliance
High Reliability and Availability
• Hardware redundancy provided by:
· Redundant hot-swappable power supplies
· Redundant hot-swappable cooling fans
· Redundant hot-swappable hard disk drives with Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID)
• Support for virtual clusters, transparent failover within nodes in a cluster, and weighted load balancing to make the Cisco AON appliance highly available, reliable, and scalable
Ease of Management
• Support for CiscoWorks to facilitate transparent integration and management of the Cisco AON 8340 Series appliance into the existing infrastructure
Cisco AON 8340 Series appliance is optimized for several deployments including:
• Application Message Router-Network footprint, high performance, custom extensibility, feature breadth and multiprotocol/standards support makes the Cisco AON 8340 Series Appliance well positioned as an Application message router.
• Application to Application (A2A) Security Gateway to external world and a policy enforcement appliance at the enterprise edge: Transparent integration with existing infrastructure, in addition to feature support including content inspection, and, validation, data confidentiality and integrity etc...
• XML Services and Protocol Offload Appliance: Leverages existing AON feature support including XML parsing and tokenization, content routing, schema validation, XSLT, etc. Additionally, support for high-volume persistent sessions in a single form factor or appliance cluster.
Table 2. Standard and Integration Capabilities
HTTP, HTTPS, Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME),