Application-Focused Networks and Services
With Cisco® Monitor Manager application, and Cisco Nexus® 3000 Series Switches, which support OpenFlow, Cisco provides a new software-defined networking (SDN)-based solution that offers a scalable, cost-effective, and programmable TAP/SPAN aggregation and monitoring environment making the network respond faster to changing business and application needs.
Learn about the Monitor Manager and Other Applications. (5:19 min)
REST & Java APIs on Cisco Developer Network
Build programmable networks for business functions.View Details
Features and Capabilities
The ready to deploy applications offer customers a low risk and faster deployment path. The applications are categorized as:
- Network Tapping and Visibility - Monitor Manager provides traffic visibility for troubleshooting, analysis, reporting, and archiving using a centralized, policy-focused approach.
- Traffic Engineering - Extend beyond traditional routing concepts and can use metrics to create a forwarding path end to end. The metrics include nonconventional ones like bandwidth, currency (dollar cost), and other custom properties
- Virtual Patch Panel - Automate port interconnections within a switch or across a network without have to make physical rewiring.
Using the Monitor Manager application, Cisco's approach replaces the matrix network with one or more Cisco Nexus 3000 Series or 3100 platform switches enabled for OpenFlow.
Cisco Monitor Manager Application features include:
- Build a scalable network traffic monitoring infrastructure using Cisco Nexus switches
- Filtering of traffic using Layer 1 – Layer 4 information
- Replicate and forward traffic to multiple monitoring tools connected across different Cisco Nexus Switches
- Multiprotocol support using OpenFlow and Cisco’s One Platform Kit (onePK) for enhanced features
- Highly secure communication using HTTPS and Transport Layer Security
- Cluster-based active-active deployment support for high-availability and scalability
The benefits of Cisco Monitor Manager applications include:
- Reduction in CapEx by using simpler and cost effective Cisco Nexus switches
- Support for 1G/10G/40G port capacities
- Improved facilities and flexibility in the placement of devices
- Faster troubleshooting and reduced time to setup from days down to minutes
- New technologies and exposure to SDN in a safe and controlled environment
In addition to providing all the advanced features that the market expects of Network Visibility solution, the Cisco Monitor Manager 1.6 software release provides many unique features that improve control of the network.
Cisco Monitor Manager 1.6 features include:
- Monitor Manager application enhancements to support
- Time stamping using Precision Time Protocol (PTP)
- Packet truncation for regulator compliance purposes
- Symmetric hashing support for load balancing monitoring traffic
- Support for Cisco Nexus 3000 series switches
- Monitor Manager Embedded – Extending the Monitor Manager embedded support to include Cisco Nexus 3500 switch
The Other applications include:
Explore the use of application-aware network forwarding functions with the Topology-Independent Forwarding (TIF) module. TIF extends beyond traditional routing concepts and can use metrics to create a forwarding path end to end. These metrics include nonconventional ones like bandwidth, currency (dollar cost), and other custom properties.
With Cisco Network Slicing, users can partition the network according to physical and logical criteria for multiple user communities. Slicing provides the logical separation required to manage network traffic domains extending beyond VLANs.
Virtual Patch Panel
Automate port interconnections within a switch or across a network without have to make physical rewiring.
Controller and Application Product Packaging
These applications are available as standalone products and in bundles. Please refer to the ordering guide for the details
Monitor Manager Embedded
Pursue single switch deployments of Monitor Manager on Nexus 3000 series switches.Learn More
Extend Traditional Routing
Make your network application-aware with Cisco Topology-Independent Forwarding.Get Details
Improve Business Agility
Cisco Monitor Manager Application offers a cost-effective approach to traffic monitoring. (3:02 min)Watch Video