Cisco has Acquired ContainerX
ContainerX strengthening Cisco's Cloud Platform with Container technology.
SAN JOSE, Calif. — On August 31, 2016 Cisco completed its acquisition of ContainerX, a privately held, eight person company based in San Jose, CA. This early stage start-up has been focused on developing enterprise-class container management technology that works across a range of platforms.
Container adoption is growing as more organizations choose containers to help build, manage, and easily move applications across different environments. Containers provide increased flexibility and efficiency and enable customers to migrate to cloud native environments. However, the container space is still new and evolving. Current container offerings may not meet the strict security, manageability, and interoperability requirements.
Cisco believes it is important to make it easy for customers to consume container-based cloud native architectures with seamless integration with infrastructure and networking and enable those architectures to support advanced features such as unified policy based orchestration, analytics, and security.
ContainerX brings a team with deep technical expertise in virtualization and cloud with a focus on containers. The ContainerX team will join Cisco's Cloud Platform and Services Technology Group led by Vice President and General Manager Kip Compton.
- Q: What is Cisco acquiring?
- A: Cisco is announcing its intent to acquire ContainerX, an early-stage and privately-held start up based in San Jose, CA that focuses on the container space.
- Q: Why did Cisco choose ContainerX?
- A: ContainerX has strong technical talent and deep expertise in virtualization, container, and cloud offerings. The team is comprised of eight employees.
- Q: What is unique about ContainerX?
- A: ContainerX brings strong technology and talent in the cloud and virtualization spaces. Team members have experience at VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix and have built a product focused on containers in an accelerated timeframe of 14 months.
- Q: Why is now the right time to acquire ContainerX?
- A: Increasingly, as customers begin deploying more cloud-native applications using microservices architectures across their organization, they are looking to containers for their agility, efficiency, and flexibility across multiple environments (private, public, and hybrid cloud). However, the container ecosystem is still emerging and it is fragmented, with many players providing narrow capabilities with limited focus on integration across the existing infrastructure. Cisco is on a journey to deliver a comprehensive cloud-native stack, and this acquisition is another step in bringing together next generation data center and highly integrated cloud-native environments with unified policy-based orchestration, security, networking, and analytics.
If you are an existing customer or partner of ContainerX and have questions about your product or service, please continue to contact your existing ContainerX sales representative.
Cisco Customers and Partners
If you are an existing customer or partner of Cisco and have questions about your product or services, please continue to contact your existing Cisco sales representative.