Q. What is the Cisco
® SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Megaport solution?
A. The public internet is not as reliable as dedicated private links for enterprises to connect branches to their cloud applications, and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) lines are too expensive and inflexible for the agility the cloud intends to deliver.
Customers require more reliable, secure, and flexible connectivity to the cloud. This is where Software-Defined Cloud Interconnect (SDCI) partners such as Megaport shine. Megaport is able to create a direct connection to link your branches to the cloud or to other branches in minutes.
With this collaboration, Cisco intends to deliver the ease of management of your entire network through one ubiquitous platform. Via Cisco’s SD-WAN controller (Cisco vManage), customers can create the underlay (Megaport connections) in minutes and then deploy the SD-WAN fabric from branches to the cloud over flexible, secure connections.
Q. What are the benefits of this solution?
A. For enterprise customers who deploy critical applications in multicloud environments, Cisco SD-WAN, in collaboration with Megaport, will provide business-grade secure and flexible links to connect to business-critical cloud applications. These links can be deployed in minutes. Enterprises can benefit from all the advantages that Cisco SD-WAN fabric provides for network management and unlock the power of direct connections to cloud service providers for increased performance, security, and cost-efficiency over traditional internet or MPLS lines.
● Simple on-demand provisioning and management: vManage provides a single pane of glass for end-to-end network automation from branch to clouds, which reduces human error and cuts connectivity time from weeks or months to minutes.
● Secure SD-WAN: Worldwide, end-to-end security segmentation, and policy enforced through SD-WAN.
● Guaranteed SLAs: Guaranteed uptime with 99.999% availability over the Cloud Interconnect backbone.
● Optimized cost: Reduces cloud data egress fee costs by up to 54% compared to internet egress charges and by up to 75% compared to MPLS connections.
● Increased visibility: End-to-end visibility to 1500+ business applications (including SaaS applications).
Q. What types of enterprises benefit from this solution?
A. Any organization that wants to connect to cloud applications quickly, securely, and reliably would benefit from this solution. For example, an organization deploying an office at a new location may not be able to wait for Direct Connect links (with letters of authority at colocations taking weeks at the least) or for the MPLS links to be set up (usually taking months). Instead, they can now deploy a Megaport connection in a matter of minutes. These organizations may also want to have the same policy, security, and access throughout the whole network, even in the cloud, so they may extend the Cisco SD-WAN fabric over Megaport links.
Q. What are the different use cases for Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Megaport?
A. Customers can use the Megaport underlays to connect to cloud workloads in AWS in the 17.5 release (supporting hosted virtual interface connections [VIFs], both private and public, and hosted connections). The 17.6 release will bring capabilities to connect to Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure. They can also connect data centers or branches across various regions around the globe.
Deployment & platform support
Q. How do I deploy and manage the Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Megaport solution?
A. Users will have the convenience of managing their SD-WAN fabric and connectivity to clouds and other branches completely through vManage. All policy administration, connections, and virtual router instances are API driven. The user only needs to select the bandwidths of the connections needed and the locations where they want to connect from and to, along with a few other settings to establish connectivity.
Q. Which Cisco platforms are supported with this solution?
A. Currently, this solution is available on the Cisco SD-WAN platform. We are exploring the possibility of extending it to Meraki
® SD-WAN in the future.
Q. When is the solution available?
A. Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Megaport will be available beginning with Cisco SD-WAN Release 17.5 (April 2021).
Q. What are the components of the solution?
A. Customers need to purchase the following as part of the solution:
● Cisco Catalyst® 8000V Edge Software license (priced by bandwidth)
● Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect, deployed at the Megaport network edge (priced by bandwidth and region)
● Megaport Virtual Cross Connect (priced by bandwidth and region)
Ordering & licensing
Q. How is the Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Megaport solution ordered?
A. Customers order the solution via Cisco partners, who can order all components of the solution through Cisco Commerce Workspace (CCW).
Q. What are the licensing options available?
A. Customers will be able to purchase Catalyst 8000V Edge Software licenses along with the Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect and Virtual Cross Connects through CCW. At launch, the licenses will be available on minimum 3-year terms. Monthly term licenses will be available with Cisco SD-WAN Release 17.6 (July 2021).
Q. Where can I find more information on Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Megaport?
● Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect At-a-Glance: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/sdwan/at-a-glance-c45-2361868.html
● What is Software-Defined Cloud Interconnect? Video: https://video.cisco.com/video/6243945035001
● Cisco SD-WAN Cloud OnRamp