Cisco 5900 Series Embedded Services Routers (ESRs) provide highly secure data, voice, and video communications to stationary and mobile network nodes across wired and wireless links. They solve critical size, weight, and power challenges, and can operate reliably in harsh environments. These routers are powered by Cisco IOS Software and feature Cisco Mobile Ready Net capabilities.
Features and Capabilities
Cisco 5900 Series Embedded Services Routers can be used to establish mobile networks in vehicles. They also extend enterprise resources more securely to workers in harsh environments such as public safety, exploration, transportation, and defense. The Cisco 5900 Series portfolio offers a range of form factors to address diverse requirements.
- The Cisco 5915 Embedded Services Router (ESR) is a PCI-104-based card that provides two Fast Ethernet routed ports, and three Fast Ethernet switched ports.
- The Cisco 5940 ESR is a CompactPCI (cPCI)-based card offering four Gigabit Ethernet (GE) routed ports.
- The Cisco 5921 ESR is a software router application designed for small, low powered Linux devices.
All Cisco ESRs offer:
- High performance
- Integration of sophisticated networking capabilities such as quality of service (QoS) and comprehensive security
- Cisco Mobile Ready Net capabilities such as Radio Aware Routing and OSPFv3 Manet Extensions
- Remote voice services with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express
- Streaming multicast video support
Specifications at a Glance
- Hardware-based and software-only options to support a variety of form factors
- Proven Cisco IOS technologies
- Large range of performance levels and connectivity options
- Network optimization features that improve bandwidth utilization, including IP multiplexing, quality of service, and radio-aware routing
- Advanced security features integration to protect against malicious attacks and unauthorized access