An Open Network Environment for Service Providers
Are you looking to improve the way you create and deliver services? Now you can evolve your network to be more open, programmable, and application-interactive with Cisco's strategy for an open network environment for service providers. This strategy is designed to help you take advantage of software-defined networking (SDN), network function virtualization (NFV), and more.
Cisco's vision of an open network environment for service providers has three integrated layers:
- Cisco Evolved Services Platform for network orchestration, management, policy, automation and cloud services
- Cisco Evolved Programmable Network , the physical and virtual network infrastructure
The Cisco Evolved Programmable Network is a natural evolution of the Cisco IP Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) that now includes both the physical and virtual infrastructure. The EPN tightly integrates network, storage, and compute functions and enables you to easily shift physical and virtual resources across the network and data center in real time.
The Evolved Programmable Network works hand-in-hand with the Cisco Evolved Services Platform to help you automate and orchestrate resources and services. It also extends new capabilities across multivendor and legacy elements, so you can:
- Simplify the network
- Reduce costs
- Quickly repurpose resources to increase profitability
Evolved Services Platform
The Evolved Services Platform (ESP) is a comprehensive, unified virtualization and orchestration software platform. The ESP creates, automates, and provisions services in real time across compute, storage, and network functions. You can deliver the business outcomes that subscribers want, even for applications running across multiple domains.
The Evolved Services Platform works on top of the Evolved Programmable Network infrastructure. Subscribers get a superior experience regardless of how or where they connect to the network. The platform represents a fundamental shift in how service provider networks will be built.
With the Evolved Services Platform you can significantly lower your costs with advanced analytic and automation capabilities. And by being able to personalize services, you tap into new revenue-generating opportunities.
The Evolved Services Platform serves three primary functions:
- Orchestration engine to automate creation, monitoring, and quality assurance of all required physical and virtual infrastructure, resources, and functions across the architecture
- Catalog of virtual functions for fast and easy service delivery
- Service broker for offering network services on demand
Within the WAN, the Cisco WAN Automation Engine performs the function of the orchestration engine.
The applications for a Cisco open network environment for service providers are expansive. Service provisioning progressively speeds up, from months to days to hours and minutes. You can optimize and manage network capacity in real time.
With the applications for the Cisco ONE for Service Providers, the Evolved Services Platform, and the Evolved Programmable Network, you have vast opportunities to:
- Introduce new services
- Improve existing processes
Cisco Services for Open Network Environment
Get the help you need to successfully plan, build, and manage your networks. Cisco Services empowers you evolve your networks and your businesses. We'll help you:
- Lower operating costs
- Increase availability
- Optimize network performance
- Cisco Open Network Environment At-A-Glance (PDF - 228 KB)
- Cisco ONE Advanced Flow Control At-A-Glance (PDF - 188 KB)
- Cisco ONE Traffic Visualization and Control At-A-Glance (PDF - 391 KB)
- Cisco ONE Elastic Services Creation At-A-Glance (PDF - 528 KB)
- Cisco ONE IP and Network Convergence At-A-Glance (PDF - 209 KB)
- Cisco One Platform Kit (onePK for Developers At-A-Glance) (PDF - 517 KB)
- Cisco Evolved Programmable Network At-A-Glance (PDF - 476 KB)
- Can Software-Defined Networking (SDN) Enhance Operator Monetization?
- Network Optimization Through Virtualization: Where, When, What, and How?
- Simplify and Automate for Enhanced Service Agility