Cisco Shares GCI Forecast Results
Global cloud traffic will more than quadruple from 2012 to 2017.
GCI Highlights Tool, 2012-2017
See global, regional, and country-level projections.
Global Cloud Readiness
The GCI Cloud Readiness Tool maps regional and country-level fixed and mobile network performance data.
The Cisco Global Cloud Index (GCI) forecasts data center and cloud traffic and related trends:
- Data center and cloud traffic forecast offers projections from 2012-2017 on global data center and cloud traffic rates.
- Workload transition provides 2012-2017 projections for workloads* moving from traditional IT to cloud solutions.
- Cloud readiness** provides regional and country-level data on broadband performance as a precursor for cloud service adoption by network consumers and business users.
* A workload is defined as an independent service or collection of code that can be executed.
** Cloud readiness compares average global network speeds and latencies (fixed and mobile) to assess each region's (or country's) ability to support a sample set of cloud services.
In October 2013, Cisco released the Cisco Global Cloud Index Forecast, 2012 - 2017. Highlights from the updated research include the following projections:
- Global data center traffic will grow three-fold from 2012 to 2017.
- By 2017, global data center traffic will reach 7.7 zetabytes per year.
- By 2017, over two-thirds of all data center traffic will come from the cloud.
- By 2017, nearly two out of three data center workloads will be processed in the cloud.