What Is the Opportunity?
What Are the Challenges?
• Managing and allowing for usage of a specific application while dynamically zero-rating the bandwidth consumed against the subscriber's usage quota.
• Understanding the profile of traffic by application and subscriber to help decide which applications to offer as Freemium services.
How Will This Impact My Business?
• Increase stickiness of service bundles or success of a new device launch by offering unlimited access to popular services. See Figure 1 for an example.
• Gain new service revenues from up-selling after the user is "hooked" by the free trial.
Figure 1. Freemium Example, Vodafone Free Facebook Offer
What Do I Need?
• Cisco® ASR 5000: Purpose-built mobile multimedia core platform that delivers the performance and intelligence required by today's mobile networks.
• Cisco In-line Services: Intelligent functions that are integrated into the Cisco ASR 5000 and implemented in the bearer traffic flow, eliminating the need for external lower-reliability network elements while simplifying the network through integrated functions and services. Freemium services utilize several In-line Services functions such as Enhanced Charging Service and Application Detection & Control to zero-rate the targeted service bandwidth usage over the period of the free trial.
• Cisco Mobility Unified Reporting: Solution providing comprehensive statistical analysis and trending information of all network attributes and subscriber sessions through tight integration with the deep packet inspection (DPI) capabilities of the Cisco ASR 5000. Helps operators optimize network performance, target new services, and plan infrastructure investments. The Mobility Unified Reporting System helps operators understand which applications offered as Freemium will have the most success in achieving business objectives.
• Cisco Policy and Charging Control (PCC): Standards-based, highly scalable solution for operators to efficiently optimize network resources across subscribers and services while providing significant revenue opportunities by enabling the deployment of new personalized services.
Get Started Today