Transform Large Storage Networks
The Cisco MDS 9710 Multilayer Director brings superior performance, scalability, multiprotocol convergence, and enterprise-grade availability to data center SANs. With it, you can deploy Fibre Channel, IBM Fibre Connectivity (FICON), Fibre Channel over IP (FCIP), and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) on a single fabric. This director meets the stringent requirements of large virtualized storage environments.
Video Data Sheet
Learn more about Cisco MDS 9710. (3:31 min)Read Data Sheet
Features and Capabilities
High Performance and Scalability
The Cisco MDS 9710 is designed to meet the performance and scalability needs of the most demanding SANs while also lowering the TCO. It offers:
- Up to 24-Tbps front-panel Fibre Channel switching capacity
- 1.5-Tbps front-panel Fibre Channel performance per slot
- Industry-leading port densities of up to 384 16-Gbps autosensing line-rate Fibre Channel ports or 10-Gbps FCoE ports per chassis or 10/40-Gbps FCoE ports per chassis
- Up to 64 10-Gbps FCIP ports and 16 40-Gbps FCIP ports on MDS 9710
Lower TCO and Outstanding Investment Protection
The Cisco MDS 9710 is optimized for the data center and delivers a lower TCO. It features:
- Very high density 16-Gbps FC and 10-Gbps FCoE connectivity 10/40-Gbps FCoE connectivity
- Investment protection for more than a decade
- True front-to-back air flow for hot-cold aisle deployments
Designed to grow with your storage environment, the Cisco MDS 9710 provides smooth migration, common sparing, and outstanding investment protection.
The Cisco MDS 9710 provides:
- Industry's first redundancy on all major hardware components, including the supervisor and fabric modules as well as the power supplies.
- Availability in the software architecture through nondisruptive software upgrades, automatic process restarts, and stateful supervisor failover.
Converged Networks to Simplify SAN Connectivity
Using the Cisco MDS 9710 Multilayer Director, you can easily connect a Cisco MDS-based SAN infrastructure to large converged networks with multihop FCoE. In addition, the operating system and management interface are the same as that of all other Cisco data center switches.
Specifications at a Glance
Minimum Software Requirements
- Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Software Release 6.2(9) or later
- 48-port FC module supporting 2/4/8/16-Gbps autosensing (optionally configurable) and 10-Gbps fixed rate FC ports
- 48-port FCoE module with 10-Gbps FCoE ports
- 24/10 SAN extension module with 24 ports at 2/4/8/10/16 Gigabit Ethernet Fibre Channel, 8 ports at 1/10 GE, and 2 ports at 40 GE for FCIP
- Virtual SAN (VSAN)
- Inter-VSAN Routing (IVR)
- PortChannel with multipath load balancing
- Flow- and zone-based quality of service (QoS)
- N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV)
Reliability and Availability
- Online, nondisruptive software upgrades
- Stateful, nondisruptive supervisor module failover
- Hot-swappable redundant supervisor, fabric, and switching modules