® MCS 7845-H1 Media Convergence Server is a high availability server platform for Cisco Unified Communications solutions. An integral part of a complete, scalable architecture for a new generation of high-quality IP voice solutions that run on enterprise data networks, the Cisco MCS 7845-H1 delivers the high performance and availability demanded by today's enterprise networks and is easy to deploy and highly cost-effective. At only 2 rack units (2RU) high, the Cisco MCS 7845-H1 packs tremendous power in a low-profile chassis that minimizes rack space. The Cisco MCS 7845-H1 runs a variety of Cisco IP Communications applications, such as Cisco CallManager.
The following points are an outline of the features of Cisco MCS 7845-H1:
• Two Intel Xeon 3.4 (or higher) GHz processors, an 800 MHz front side bus (FSB) and 2 MB of Layer 2 cache
• PC2-3200R 4-GB 400-MHz Double Data Rate 2 (DDR2) memory with online spare capabilities
• Integrated Ultra320 Smart Array 6i Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) Controller with 64-MB read cache plus 128-MB battery-backed write cache
• Cisco IP Interoperability and Collaboration System (IPICS)
• Cisco Unified IP Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
• Cisco Unified Customer Voice Portal
• Cisco MeetingPlace® conferencing solution-Supports Cisco MeetingPlace systems with up to 1152 concurrent voiceconferencing licenses running the following software: Cisco MeetingPlace for Outlook, Cisco MeetingPlace for Notes, Cisco MeetingPlace Web Conferencing (up to 200 concurrent Webconferencing licenses per server), Cisco MeetingPlace Directory Integration Application (dedicated MCS 7845-H1 for >200 concurrent voiceconferencing licenses), Cisco MeetingPlace Video Integration, Cisco MeetingPlace H.323/Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Gateway Software, and Cisco MeetingPlace Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) E-Mail Gateway
• Cisco Unified IP Queue Manager
• Cisco Unity® Unified Messaging-Up to 72 ports and up to 3000 on-box (voicemail) or 7500 off-box (voicemail or unified messaging) mailboxes
KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS
The Cisco MCS 7845-H1 is a robust, highly available server platform designed to support today's unified communications applications. It uses an Integrated Smart Array 6i Controller with a 64-MB cache to provide onboard RAID support without using one of the peripheral controller-interconnect (PCI)-X slots on the server. The Cisco MCS 7845-H1 occupies only 2RU of space while providing the features most requested in a high-availability server platform. At product introduction, the Cisco MCS 7845-H1 ships with two Intel Xeon 3.4-GHz processors and the processor speed will be increased as Intel retires the 3.4-GHz processor and introduces new processors.
High availability on the Cisco MCS 7845-H1 is achieved through the following mechanisms:
• Redundant hot-swap 575W power supplies
• Redundant hot-swap fans
• Hot-swap SCSI hard drives configured using RAID 1
System Health LEDs
The Cisco MCS 7845-H1 provides system health LEDs and unit identification lights on the front and back of the server to make pinpointing system problems easier than ever. When an internal component fails, this indication is made on an internal component LED (amber) and on the front panel of the Cisco MCS 7845-H1. If the item is serviceable without removing the server hood, as in the case of a redundant power supply, the external health LED illuminates. If the item is serviceable by removing the hood, as in the case of a fan failure, the internal health LED illuminates. If no failures have occurred, the system health LEDs are green. If a failure has occurred but a redundant feature has enabled the system to continue running, the LED is amber. If the failure is critical and has caused the system to shut down, the LED is red.
Integrated Lights Out
The Integrated Lights Out (iLO) Standard is included on the motherboard. Combining essential management functions and diagnostics with basic lights-out functions as standard components of the server, iLO is available at no charge. iLO Standard offers maximum security, availability, and control over business-critical servers without the need to visit the systems physically.
• iLO Standard provides fundamental server control and monitoring by integrating essential lights-out technology directly into the Cisco MCS 7845-H1 architecture.
• Essential lights-out features include remote power control, text-based console, logs, status, and alert forwarding.
• The easy-to-use, dedicated lights-out LAN port is accessible through a browser interface.
• iLO Standard saves a valuable PCI slot for additional functions and reduces installation and setup time.
• iLO Standard eliminates the need for an external power adapter or any other internal or external cables.
• iLO Standard provides a rich suite of security features, including Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
• iLO Standard provides a scalable solution by allowing group administration of iLO processors.
In the Cisco MCS 7845-H1, the ROM is divided into two logical sections. When the system boots, the primary ROM section is executed and used in server operation. During a ROM flash, the backup section is flashed. When the flash is fully completed, the backup section becomes the primary. If the flash does not complete safely, potentially because of power interruption, the backup is available to boot the system. In the situation in which both images are valid, the user can select which image to use at boot time.
Tape Drive Support
The Cisco MCS 7845-H1 can support an optional 36-72/universal-serial-bus (USB) external Digital Audio Tape (DAT) drive (part number DAT-USB-EXT-72=) or an optional USB rack-mount DAT drive (part number DAT-USB-RM-72=). This tape drive connects through one of the 4 USB 2.0 ports provided by the Cisco MCS 7845-H1 server.
As the Cisco MCS 7845-H1 matures, the processor speeds will be changed as Intel replaces slower processors. Table 5 provides the Cisco manufacturing part number shown on the chassis to help identify the processor speed of any individual server.
Table 5. Manufacturing Part Numbers by Processor Speed
Manufacturing Part Number Located on Server
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
Initial production of server-MCS-7845-H1-ECS1
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
Initial production of server-
Revised server using 3.4-GHz Xeon with 2-MB of Layer 2 cache-
SERVICE AND SUPPORT
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, refer to
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.