As the premier Cisco® modular multilayer switch, the Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series delivers secure, converged services from the LAN access to the core, to the data center, and to the WAN edge.
• Fiber to the desktop
• Choice of media and connector types-The 100BASE-X module supports multimode fiber (62.5- and 125-micron), and single-mode fiber using modular SFPs, enabling mix-and-match, pay-as-you-grow optic deployments. Fixed MT-RJ for 100BASE-FX and 10BASE-FL modules supports multimode fiber (62.5- and 125-micron) and single-mode fiber.
• Port densities-Up to 48 ports per 100BASE-X module are supported, enabling up to 576 100BASE-X ports per 13-slot chassis; up to 24 ports per 10BASE-FL module are supported, enabling up to 288 ports of 10BASE-FL per 13-slot chassis (configured with 12 interface modules).
• Scalable and predictable system performance-The modules provide 32-Gbps switching and throughput of 15 Mpps.
• Superior traffic management-The modules are available with large 256-MB buffers for 48 ports. Available with 4 transmit queues per port, with 1 strict priority queue for quality of service (QoS). Each port supports Weighted Random Early Detection (WRED) for congestion avoidance within each queue, and Deficit Weighted Round Robin (DWRR) as well as Weighted Round Robin (WRR) for scheduling between queues to aid in traffic prioritization. Up to 8 thresholds can be configured to manage differentiated levels of service.
• Operational consistency-Configurations are available for Cisco Catalyst 6500 3-, 6-, 9-, and 13-slot chassis running Cisco IOS® Software and Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software; they are interoperable with all other interfaces and services modules, and forward-compatible with all Cisco Catalyst 6500 supervisor engines.
• Maximum network uptime and resiliency-The modules support the Cisco Enhanced Per- VLAN Spanning Tree Plus (PVST+) protocol, IEEE 802.1w Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) and IEEE 802.1s Multiple Spanning Tree (MST) protocol, Per-VLAN Rapid Spanning Tree (PVRST) protocol, Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP), Cisco EtherChannel®, and IEEE 802.3ad link aggregation for fault-tolerant connectivity.
• Extensive management tools-The modules support the CiscoWorks network management platform; Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Versions 1, 2, and 3; and four Remote Monitoring (RMON) groups (statistics, history, alarms, and events).
Table 1. Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series 10- and 100-Mbps Ethernet Fiber-Based Interface Modules
Enterprise and Federal
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Fiber-Based Classic 100BASE-X, 100BASE-FX, and 10BASE-FL Ethernet Interface Modules
• Forwarding architecture-Use centralized Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF)
• Forwarding performance-Forward packets up to 15 Mpps per system
• Bus connection-Connect using a 32-Gbps shared bus connection
• Supervisor engine-Work with Supervisor Engine 1A, Supervisor Engine 2, Supervisor Engine 32, or Supervisor Engine 720
• Distributed forwarding upgrade-None; Classic interface modules cannot be upgraded for distributed forwarding
• Slot requirements-Can occupy any slot in any Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series chassis.
• Maximum port density per chassis-up to 576 ports per Cisco Catalyst 6513 chassis, and up to 384 ports per Cisco Catalyst 6509 chassis.
Note: No inline power support for voice is available for 100BASE-X, 100BASE-FX, and 10BASE-FL fiber modules.
Table 2. Classic 100BASE-X, 100BASE-FX, and 10BASE-FL Fiber Interface Modules
Table 3. SFPs for 48-port 100BASE-X Module
Figure 1. Classic 48 Port 100BASE-X Fiber Interface Module (part number WS-X6148-FE-SFP)
Figure 2. Classic 24 Port 100BASE-FX Fiber Interface Module (part number WS-X6324-100FX-MM)
Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Fiber-Based CEF256 100BASE-FX Ethernet Modules
• Forwarding architecture-Use the central CEF engine located on the supervisor engine
• Forwarding performance-Forward packets up to 30 Mpps per system and up to 15 Mpps per slot for slots upgraded to support distributed forwarding
• Fabric connection-Connect to the switch fabric using one 8-Gbps connection and the 32-Gbps shared bus
• Supervisor engine-Work with Supervisor Engine 1A, Supervisor Engine 2, Supervisor 32, or Supervisor Engine 720
• Distributed forwarding upgrade-Optional, field upgradeable to support distributed forwarding: DFC3 (part number WS-F6K-DFC3A or WS-F6K-DFC3B or WS-F6K-DFC3BXL) upgrade to operate with Supervisor Engine 720, DFC (part number WS-F6K-DFC) upgrade to operate with Supervisor Engine 2/MFSC2 and a Switch Fabric Module
• Slot requirements-Can occupy any slot in any Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series chassis.
• Maximum port density per chassis-up to 288 ports per Cisco Catalyst 6513 chassis, and up to 192 ports per Cisco Catalyst 6509 chassis.
Note: No inline power support for voice is available for 100BASE-FX fiber modules.
Table 4. CEF256 100BASE-FX Fiber Interface Module
Ports, Interfaces, and Connectors
Maximum Distance per Cable Type
Maximum Frame Size (jumbo frame) Support
24-port; 100BASE-FX; MT-RJ
2-km full duplex, 400m half duplex; 62.5- and 125-micron multimode fiber
Up to 9216 bytes
Figure 3. CEF256-Based 100BASE-FX Fiber Interface Module (part number WS-X6524-100FX-MM)
Table 5. Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series 10- and 100-Mbps Ethernet Fiber-Based Interface Modules
Standard Network Protocols
• Ethernet: IEEE 802.3
• Fast Ethernet: IEEE 802.3 and 100BASE-FX
• IEEE 802.1d, IEEE 802.1p, IEEE 802.1q, IEEE 802.1s, IEEE 802.1w, IEEE 802.3x, IEEE 802.3z, IEEE 802.3ab, IEEE 802.3ad, and IEEE 802.3ah
• Occupies one slot in a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series chassis
• Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.2 x 14.4 x 16 in. (3.0 x 35.6 x 40.6 cm)
• Operating temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
• Storage temperature: -40 to 167°F (-40 to 75°C)
• Relative humidity: 10 to 90 percent, noncondensing
• Operating altitude: Sea level to 6500 ft (1981m)
• UL 60950
• CSA-C22.2 No. 60950
• EN 60950
• IEC 60950
• AS/NZS 60950/TS001
• FCC Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
• VCCI Class A
• EN55022 Class A
• CISPR 22 Class A
• CE marking
• AS/NZS 3548 Class A
• ETS300 386
• ETHERLIKE-MIB (RFC 1643)
• IF-MIB (RFC 1573)
• Bridge MIB (RFC 1493)
• RMON MIB (RFC 1757)
• ENTITY-MIB (RFC 2037)
• RFC1213-MIB (MIB-II)
Maximum Cabling Distance
• 100BASE-FX multimode Fast Ethernet: 62.5- and 125-micron multimode fiber: 400m half duplex, 2-km full duplex
• 100BASE-FX single-mode Fast Ethernet: standard ITU-T G.652 (IEC 60793-2 B1.1/B1.3) single-mode fiber: 10-km half or full duplex
• 100BASE-LX Fast Ethernet: standard ITU-T G.652 (IEC 60793-2 B1.1/B1.3) single-mode fiber: 10-km half or full duplex
• 100BASE-BX10 Fast Ethernet: standard ITU-T G.652 (IEC 60793-2 B1.1/B1.3) single-mode fiber: 10 km over single strand of fiber
• 10BASE-FL Ethernet: 62.5- and 125-micron multimode fiber: 2-km half or full duplex
Indicators and Interfaces
• Status: Green (operational); red (faulty); orange (module booting or running diagnostics)
• Link good: Green (port active); orange (disabled); off (not active or not connected); blinking orange (failed diagnostic and disabled)
• 100BASE-X: SFPs, LC connector (female)
• 100BASE-FX multimode: MT-RJ (female, multimode)
• 100BASE-FX single-mode: MT-RJ (female, single mode)
• 10BASE-FL: MT-RJ (female, multimode)
SERVICE AND SUPPORT
• Provides Cisco networking expertise online and on the telephone
• Creates a proactive support environment with software updates and upgrades as an ongoing integral part of your network operations, not merely a remedy when a failure or problem occurs
• Makes Cisco technical knowledge and resources available to you on demand
• Augments the resources of your technical staff to increase productivity
• Complements remote technical support with onsite hardware replacement
• Cisco SMARTnet® support
• Cisco SMARTnet Onsite support
• Cisco Software Application Services, including Software Application Support and Software Application Support plus Upgrades
FOR MORE INFORMATION
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 1A and Supervisor Engine 2 Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Gigabit Ethernet Interface Modules Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series 10 Gigabit Ethernet Interface Modules Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series FlexWAN Interface Modules Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch Fabric Interface Modules Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Content Services Module (CSM) Data Sheet
• Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Firewall Services Module Data Sheet