® announces the end-of-sale and end-of-life dates
for the Cisco
®1000BASE-CWDM line of CWDM passivedevices. The last day to order the Cisco 1000BASE-CWDM products is
March 27, 2005. Customers with active service contracts will continue to receive support from the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) until March 27, 201
0. Table 1 describes the end-of-life milestones, definitions, and dates for the Cisco 1000BASE-CWDM products. Table 2 lists the product numbers affected by this announcement.
Customers are encouraged to migrate to the new family of CWDM passive devices, the Cisco WDM line
of CWDM passive devices, which
offer performance and functionality improvements over the 1000BASE-CWDM products (see section "Product Migration Options" for details).
Table 3 provides relevant information for migrating from the Cisco
1000BASE-CWDM line to the Cisco WDM line of passive devices.
Table 1. End-of-Life Milestones and Dates for the Cisco 1000BASE-CWDM
End-of-life announcement date
The date the document that announces the end of sale and end of life of a product is distributed to the general public.
September 27, 2004
The last date to order the product through Cisco point-of-sale mechanisms. The product is no longer for sale after this date.
March 27, 2005
Last shipment date
The last-possible ship date that can be requested of Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers. Actual ship date is dependent on lead time.
June 27, 2005
End of routine failure analysis date
The last-possible date a routine failure analysis may be performed to determine the cause of product failure or defect.
March 27, 2006
End of new service attachment date
For equipment and software that is not covered by a service-and-support contract, this is the last date to order a new service-and-support contract or add the equipment and/or software to an existing service-and-support contract.
March 27, 2006
End of service contract renewal date
The last date to extend or renew a service contract for the product. The extension or renewal period cannot extend beyond the last date of support.
December 27, 2009
Last date of support
The last date to receive service and support for the product. After this date, all support services for the product are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete.
March 27, 2010
Table 2. Product Part Numbers Affected by This Announcement
End-of-Sale Product Part Number
8-Wavelength Mux/Demux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
4-Wavelength Add/Drop Mux for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1470 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1490 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1510 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1530 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1550 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1570 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1590 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
1610 nm Add/Drop Mux Plug-in Module for CWDM-CHASSIS-2=
PRODUCT MIGRATION OPTIONS
The recommended replacement for the Cisco 1000BASE-CWDM products is the Cisco WDM line of CWDM passive devices (Table 3). The new set of CWDM passive devices offers:
1. Improved performance over the current Cisco 1000BASE-CWDM products, by reducing the insertion loss between 20 and 50 percent, depending on the module.
2. Two versions of 4-channel OADMs: (1470, 1490, 1510, and 1530 nm) and (1550, 1570, 1590, and 1610nm). The Cisco 1000BASE-CWDM products offeronly one 4-channel OADM (1470, 1510, 1550, and 1590 nm).
3. The ability to mix traditional 1300 nm wavelengths along with CWDM wavelengths. On the other hand the Cisco 1000BASE-CWDM products are not transparent to 1300 nm wavelengths.
4. Optical monitoring capabilities on the Network ports without traffic disruption, by means of dedicated "tap" ports to route the optical power of the CWDM channels to optical power meters or spectrum analyzer. This feature is not supported in the 1000BASE-CWDM line.
Table 3. Product Comparisons
Cisco EOL Product
Cisco Replacement Product
Cisco Replacement Product
8 wavelength Mux/Demux
4 wavelength Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1470 nm Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1490 nm Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1510 nm Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1530 nm Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1550 nm Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1570 nm Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1590 nm Add/Drop
Single wavelength - dual-channel 1610 nm Add/Drop
Customers can use the Cisco Technology Migration Plan (TMP) to trade in products and receive credit toward the purchase of new Cisco equipment. For more information about Cisco TMP, go to:
http://www.cisco.com/go/tradein/. The Cisco TMP application requires all users to have a Cisco.com user ID.