The Cisco® CRS-3 Carrier Routing System offers industry-leading performance, advanced services intelligence, environmentally conscious design, and system longevity. The Cisco CRS-3 is powered by the Cisco QuantumFlow Array™ – a chipset architecture based on multidimensional engineering and Cisco IOS® XR Software, an exceptional self-healing, distributed operating system.
Data-based communications are being replaced by video and interactive media traversing the IP Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) in multiple directions, straining the architectural foundations of both public and private networks that serve businesses and consumers. As part of the medianet, a media-aware Cisco IP NGN, the Cisco CRS-3 delivers continuous, always-on operations and scales easily from numerous single-chassis form factors to a massive multichassis system. Its highly efficient design conserves power, cooling, and rack-space resources while optimizing bandwidth capacity. The Cisco CRS-3 is compatible with the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System, protecting investments for decades to come.
This data sheet provides detailed product specifications for the Cisco CRS-3 Label Switch Processor. For more information about the Cisco CRS Family and other available processors, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/crs.
The Cisco CRS-3 Label Switch Processor provides 140-Gbps distributed forwarding engine capability for the Cisco CRS Family. The label switch processor allows a Flexible Packet Transport solution and is responsible for forwarding processing tasks, handling all network traffic flows through the data plane. Distinctive features of the label switch processor include the ability to switch Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) traffic at high throughput and low latency and jitter, immediate scalability to hundreds of thousands of Label Switched Paths (LSPs).
The Label Switch Processor offers many advantages:
● Powered by QuantumFlow Array, one of the world's most sophisticated chipset architectures, which includes a 140-Gbps application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) based on 65-nanometer (nm) technology; QuantumFlow Array was engineered for the Cisco CRS Family of routers to provide higher bandwidth without compromising service performance
● Supported across all the Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3 form factors: 4-slot, 8-slot, 16-slot, and multi-chassis
● Scales the Cisco CRS per-slot forwarding capacity 3.5 times from 40 Gbps to 140 Gbps
● Can be mixed with 40-Gbps-per-slot modules occupying other slots in the chassis
● Single-flow traffic processing at 140 Gbps in each direction
● Enhanced onboard multicore CPU for accelerated software processing
● Packet Transport forwarding engine with industry-leading, wire-rate performance at 140 Gbps
● Support for up to 8 queues per port
● Scale for hundreds of thousands of LSPs and traffic engineering midpoints
● Built-in support for carrier-class high availability with fast reroute (FRR) capability, providing guaranteed restoration in 50 ms in case of link and node failures
● Built-in hardware acceleration for critical network control traffic
● Built-in support for video monitoring for a comprehensive video quality of experience (QoE)
● Accurate hardware-assisted time-stamping support for service-level agreement (SLA) monitoring
Table 1 gives specifications for the Cisco CRS-3 Label Switch Processor.
Table 1. Product Specifications
Approvals and Compliance
Table 2 gives standards compliance information for the Cisco CRS-3 Label Switch Processor.
Table 2. Compliance and Agency Approvals
● UL/CSA/IEC/EN 60950-1
● IEC/EN 60825 Laser Safety
● ACA TS001
● AS/NZS 60950
● FDA Code of Federal Regulations Laser Safety
● FCC Class A
● ICES 003 Class A
● AS/NZS 3548 Class A
● CISPR 22 (EN55022) Class A
● VCCI Class A
● BSMI Class A
● IEC/EN 61000-3-2: Power Line Harmonics
● IEC/EN 61000-3-3: Voltage Fluctuations and Flicker
Immunity (basic standards)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-2: Electrostatic Discharge Immunity (8-kV contact, 15-kV air)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-3: Radiated Immunity (10V/m)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-4: Electrical Fast Transient Immunity (2-kV power, 1-kV signal)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-5: Surge AC Port (4-kV CM, 2-kV DM)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-5: Signal Ports (1 kV)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-5: Surge DC Port (1 kV)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-6: Immunity to Conducted Disturbances (10 Vrms)
IEC/EN-61000-4-8: Power Frequency Magnetic Field Immunity (30A/m)
● IEC/EN-61000-4-11: Voltage Dips, Short Interruptions, and Voltage Variations
ETSI and EN
● EN300 386: Telecommunications Network Equipment (EMC)
EN55022: Information Technology Equipment (Emissions)
EN55024: Information Technology Equipment (Immunity)
● EN50082-1/EN-61000-6-1: Generic Immunity Standard
Network Equipment Building Standards (NEBS)
This product is designed to meet the following requirements (qualification in progress):
● SR-3580: NEBS Criteria Levels (Level 3)
● GR-1089-CORE: NEBS EMC and Safety
● GR-63-CORE: NEBS Physical Protection
To place an order, contact your local Cisco representative or visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page. Use the ordering information in Table 3.
Table 3. Ordering Information
Product Part Number
Cisco CRS-3 Label Switch Processor
Cisco Services make networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together.
Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration between people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the forces of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we achieve the best results.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco CRS-3 Label Switch Processor, contact your local Cisco representative or visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/crs.