Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processors
PDF(183.8 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Mar 13, 2015
Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processors
® Interface Flexibility (I-Flex) design combines shared port adapters (SPAs) and SPA interface processors (SIPs) to help prioritize voice, video, and data services. Enterprise and service provider customers can take advantage of improved slot economics resulting from modular port adapters that are interchangeable across Cisco Systems
® routing platforms. The extensible Cisco I-Flex design maximizes connectivity options and offers superior service intelligence through programmable interface processors that deliver line-rate performance. Cisco
I-Flex enhances speed-to-service revenue and provides a rich set of quality-of-service (QoS) features for premium service delivery while effectively reducing the overall cost of ownership. This data sheet contains the specifications for the Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SIPs (SIP 401, SIP 501, and SIP 601).
Figure 1. Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SIP with the 8XFE-TX, 5X1GE, 2XOC48-POS/RPR, and 1XCHSTM1/OC-3 SPAs
The Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SIP provides:
• A common forwarding and queuing engine responsible for packet classification, forwarding decisions, packet queuing, and accounting without compromising the performance-Each SIP has two forwarding engines, one for ingress and one for egress, allowing the user to implement multiple features and QoS policies at the incoming traffic, independently from the features and the QoS policies applied at the egress interfaces. The multicast replication is done by the egress forwarding engine, hence a very scalable multicast implementation with a native and built-in security and QoS features for multicast flows.
• A modular physical layer interface module (PLIM) front end with intelligent oversubscription that hosts up to four SPAs-Each SPA has a dedicated interface (2.5 or 10 Gbps) to the SPA controller. A fair bandwidth allocation algorithm shares available and excess bandwidth between the SPAs (the oversubscribed SPA does not cause any packet drop on the nonoversubscribed SPA, and any unused bandwidth from one SPA is used by the other SPA). The Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SIP supports three types of SPAs: interface-specific SPAs, service-specific SPAs, and multiservice SPAs.
– Interface-specific SPAs-Each of these SPAs is optimized for one media and one speed, providing a dense solution ranging from OC-192/STM-64 down to T1/E1 and DS-0, 10-Mb Ethernet, 100-Mb Fast Ethernet, 1 Gigabit, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet.
– Service-specific SPAs-Each of these SPAs provides additional service processing to the processing power of the engine to offer specific services such as IP Security (IPsec).
• A SPA controller that is responsible for adapting the user traffic flowing between the SPA interfaces and the Layer 3 forwarding engine-The SPA controller provides the ability to prioritize traffic from the SPA into the engine, maintaining QoS behaviors even in oversubscribed configurations. Intelligent oversubscription of 2:1 is performed thanks to two hardware capabilities:
– 8-MB buffers to absorb a large traffic burst, beyond 10 GB, without packet drops
– Two priorities of queuing (high and low) to protect higher-priority traffic in case of congestion
Table 1 describes the basic features on the Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SIPs.
Table 1. Product Features
• High number of IPv4, IPv6, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), and MPLS VPN unicast and multicast routes: up to 1 million IPv4/MPLS or 512,000 IPv6 route entries.
• High-density Gigabit Ethernet aggregation capability with up to 20 Gigabit Ethernet ports per SIP with intelligent oversubscription
• Building Integrated Timing Supply (BITS)
• Layer 3 VPNs over MPLS (RFC 2547) and over IP (MPLS VPNs over Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol Version 3 [L2TPv3])
• Layer 2 VPNs over MPLS (Any Transport over MPLS [AToM]) and over IP L2TPv3)
• Layer 3 routing protocols: Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGPv4), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Routing Information Protocol (RIP), Distributed Forwarding Information Base (FIB) IP switching, Cisco Discovery Protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP), Routing with Resource Reservation (RRR), and others
• Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
• Multicast forwarding with support for source and shared distribution trees and the following protocols: Protocol Independent Multicast-dense mode (PIM-DM); PIM-sparse mode (PIM-SM); Internet Group Management Protocol Versions 1 and 1 (IGMPv1/v2); Cisco Group Management Protocol (GMP); Multiprotocol Border Gateway Protocol (MBGP); Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP); and others
• Comprehensive MPLS protocols such as LDP, RSVP-TE
Reliability and availability
• Online insertion and removal (OIR) enabling insertion and removal of line cards without affecting traffic
• EN 300 386 Telecommunications Network Equipment (EMC)
• EN55022 Information Technology Equipment (Emissions)
• EN55024 Information Technology Equipment (Immunity)
• EN50082-1/EN61000-6-1 Generic Immunity Standard
Network Equipment Building Standards (NEBS)
• This product is designed to meet the following requirements:
• GR-1089-CORE EMC and Safety
• GR-63-CORE Physical Protection
• SR-3580 NEBS Criteria Levels (Level 3)
To place an order, contact your local Cisco representative or visit the ordering page on the Cisco Website. Use the ordering information in Table 6.
Table 6. Ordering Information
Product Part Number
Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processor-401
Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processor-401, spare
Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processor-501
Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processor-501, spare
Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processor-601
Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SPA Interface Processor-601, spare
Note: Bezel extenders for the Cisco 12000 10-slot and 16-slot chassis are required to allow installation of front covers when 12000-SIP cards are inserted in these chassis. Bezel extender kits are available for the 10-slot chassis (part number ACS-10-BZLX2=) and for the 16-slot chassis (part number ACS-16-BZLX2=).
Service and Support
Cisco Systems delivers innovative services programs through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, contact your local Cisco representative or visit the Cisco Website.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SIPs, contact your local Cisco representative or visit: