The Cisco TCC2 and TCC2P cards (Figure 1) provide a next-generation system processor for the Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP. The Cisco TCC2 and TCC2P cards perform system initialization, provisioning, alarm reporting, maintenance, diagnostics, IP address detection and resolution, SONET and SDH data communications channel (DCC) termination, system DC input-voltage monitoring, and system fault detection. The cards reside in slots 7 and 11 of the shelf assembly, providing 1:1 equipment protection.
The Cisco TCC2 and TCC2P cards incorporate a highly stable Stratum 3 internal timing reference to provide system timing based on input received from an external Building Integrated Timing Supply source or from an incoming SONET or SDH optical signal. Synchronous status messaging helps the system to select the best timing sources, and a holdover mode maintains timing accuracy in the event that preprovisioned synchronization references are not available.
Figure 1. Cisco ONS 15454 TCC2 Card
Nonvolatile database storage for communication, provisioning, and system control is provided, allowing full database recovery and survivability with complete system power loss. In addition, short-term clock recovery is also supported, reducing the need to reset the calendar and time-of-day settings after a brownout or complete power outage.
The Cisco TCC2 and TCC2P cards have two built-in interface ports for accessing the system: an RJ-45 connector and an RS-232. The RJ-45 port provides 10BASE-T Ethernet connectivity to the system, providing local and remote access to the craft-management system, Cisco Transport Controller, through a common Web interface. This port can also be used for interconnection to customer operations support systems (OSSs) and network management systems (NMSs), providing integration to external element management systems (EMSs), NMSs, and OSSs.
The Cisco TCC2P card provides additional security enhancements, allowing users to configure the front-panel and rear or Front Mount Electrical Connection (FMEC) Ethernet interfaces as regenerators or provision them with individual IP and MAC addresses for segregated craft and DCC access. The RS-232 port provides a serial ASCII interface for local craft access using VT100 emulation so that Transaction Language 1 (TL1) commands may be directly entered over a Telnet session without the assistance of a browser.
The front panel of the Cisco TCC2 and TCC2P cards provide multicolored LEDs for a quick view of the status of the card activity, raised network alarms, shelf voltage input, LAN interface, and synchronization. Two front-panel buttons allow users to quiet an active external audible alarm (alarm-cutoff button) or test the working state of system LEDs. The Cisco TCC2 and TCC2P cards are supported beginning with the Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP Release 4.0.0 system software for both the SONET and SDH platforms. Deployed networks may consist of nodes equipped with either Cisco Timing, Communications, and Control Plus (TCC+) or Cisco TCC2 or TCC2P processor cards. Nodes operating with previous versions of TCC processor cards can be upgraded, in service, to the new Cisco TCC2 or TCC2P, allowing migration to post-Release 4.0 software loads and possible future features.
Features and Benefits
The Cisco ONS 15454 TCC2 and TCC2P cards provide the following feature set:
• 84 section DCC (SDCC) and multiplex section DCC (MSDCC) terminations1 allow the interconnection of multiring and linear systems on a
• single shelf assembly, reducing networking costs.
• 84 SDCC tunnels or SDCC-to-line DCC (LDCC) tunnels provide interface flexibility for transparent transport of third-party DCC overhead channels.
• Integrated system input-voltage monitoring facilitates proactive identification of DC power-system issues.
• Time-and-date clock recovery after brownout or power loss prevents clock reprogramming.
• Complete shelf lamp test through faceplate pushbutton simplifies technician LED maintenance testing.
• Local and remote craft user access allows technicians to access nodes from anywhere.
• Local audible alarm cutoff squelches office audible or visual alert systems.
Additionally, the Cisco TCC2P card offers the following enhanced features:
• Enhanced security capabilities through provisionable Ethernet ports allow better control over system- and network-level access.
• HW readiness for for 64-kHz+8-kHz composite timing inputs and 6-MHz composite timing support.
Table 1 outlines the feature availability supported on the Cisco ONS 15454 TCC2 and TCC2P
The Cisco ONS 15454 MSPP equipped with TCC2 or TCC2P cards provides significant advantages over traditional SONET/SDH opticaltransport network elements, including the following:
• Multiservice capabilities - The Cisco ONS 15454 provides support for TDM-based, private-line interfaces (DS-1/E1, DS-3/E3, and OC-3/STM-1 through OC-192/STM-64) along with advanced 10/100/1000-Mbps Ethernet and future storage area network (SAN) interfaces, thus simplifying a service provider's migration to new revenue opportunities and an enterprise's multiple technology transport needs.
• Integrated, flexible optical networking - Optical transport speeds from OC-3/STM-1 to multiwavelength OC-192/STM-64 are supported to allow the proper level of bandwidth to be deployed for the user application. Supporting in-service bandwidth upgrades and an integrated span upgrade wizard, the Cisco ONS 15454 allows the user to keep pace with growing network demands.
• Flexible architecture - The Cisco ONS 15454 supports ring, linear point-to-point, linear add/drop multiplexer (ADM), and mesh networking topologies to employ many technologies, including 2- and 4-fiber bidirectional line switched ring (BLSR) and multiplex section subnetwork protection ring (MS-SPR) with protection channel access, unidirectional path switched ring (UPSR) and subnetwork connection protection (SNCP), linear automatic protection switching (APS) and subnetwork connection (SNC), and Path Protected Mesh Networking (PPMN SONET only). Networks can be built using a combination of architectures and protection technologies to meet the needs of the defined services to be transported or delivered.
• Comprehensive and efficient network management - A full complement of TDM, SONET, and Ethernet statistics are provided to allow for the proper operation maintenance of the network. Additionally, network management is simplified through a common Data Communications Network (DCN) connection and user access to TDM, Ethernet and optical operations, administration, maintenance, and provisioning functions.
• Competitive first- and long-term costs - Advanced capabilities are only practical when a system is affordable enough to deploy and deliver a return on the investment. The Cisco ONS 15454 was designed for ease of use, therefore speeding installation time, decreasing personnel training requirements, and simplifying equipment maintenance. An integrated browser-based, point-and-click, craft user interface allows even an untrained user to quickly set up and provision services across an entire network using helpful networkwide provisioning wizards.
Table 2 and Table 3 outline the specifications for the Cisco ONS 15454 TCC2 and TCC2P cards.
Table 2. Product Specifications
Electromagnetic compliance (EMC) - Class A
ETSI 300-386-TC Telcordia Technologies Network Equipment Building Standards (NEBS) GR-1089-CORE, Issue 3 (Level 3, Type 2 and Type 4)
CISPR 22, CISPR 24
IC ICES-003 Issue 3, 1997
Telcordia Technologies NEBS GR-1089-CORE, Issue 3 Level IEC 60950-1/EN 60950-1, 1st Edition UL and cUL/CSA 60950-1 1st Edition (Level 3, Type 2 and Type 4)
Timing, Communications, and Control rated, SONET platform Card, Version 2 Plus, enhanced security, industrial temperature
Timing, Communications, and Control rated, SDH platform Card, Version 2 Plus, enhanced security, industrial temperature
Timing, Communications, and Control Card, Version 2, industrial temperature rated, SONET platform
Timing, Communications, and Control Card, Version 2, industrial temperature rated, SDH platform
® offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, see Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco Advanced Services.