Figure 1. Cisco TelePresence VX Tactical
• Water-, sand-, impact-, chemical-, and corrosion-resistant case providing portability, durability, and other functions
• Utilizes Cisco TelePresence SX20 codec for high-definition (HD) video and content sharing with full-duplex audio
• Embedded 1080p HD camera and integrated speakers and microphone
• Sunlight-readable, optically bonded, 17.5-inch 720p60 HD display that is 3x stronger than standard screens
• Tactile control panel offering simplified system control and a tethered infrared remote control for full system operation
• AC and DC power options for system operation
• Security hasps (2x) for securing the unit
Table 1. Summary of VX Tactical Features
• Easy-to-deploy room system: The VX Tactical is not limited to use as a personal system. You can also set it up in a mobile telepresence conference room scenario with an external microphone, camera, and monitor.
• Screen size: Tablets have a screen size of approximately 10 1/2 inches diagonal, which is adequate for personal use but does not work well for two or more people. Many tablets have a video output so that you can view the video on a high-definition monitor; however, this solution presents challenges when using interactive videoconferencing or telepresence because the camera is located on the tablet, not the monitor. The Cisco TelePresence VX Tactical offers a screen size of 17.5 inches diagonal, and the system is optimized for a small group of people. You can also attach a secondary larger screen and a secondary camera to shift to a comfortable room-based deployment.
• Camera: VX Tactical employs an HD camera that is optimized for small groups of people, rather than an individual on a tablet. It provides a very-high-quality telepresence experience. Some of the features of the embedded camera follow:
– 1/3-inch CMOS sensor
– 1.2 aperture range
– 63.8° horizontal field of view
– 42° vertical field of view
– 4-mm focal length
– 1080 pixels progressive @ 30 frames per second (fps)
– Manual focus
– Automatic brightness and white balance
– Microphones: Tablets have one microphone that typically requires a speaker to be in close proximity to the tablet. VX Tactical has built-in microphones and the option of attaching a room-based microphone.
– Echo cancellation: This feature is very important because the echo cancellation in a tablet is software-based and not very robust. For example, the echo canceller on typical tablets is not designed for use with external speakers and often causes audio quality problems (echoes and audio artifacts) for the people on the remote end. In contrast, the echo canceller built into the VX Tactical is very robust and can work with an entire auditorium of people.
– Speakers: VX Tactical has high-quality speakers built specifically for a small group of people. It boasts two waterproof 10W stereo speakers. Tablets have very small transducers that do not work well with a group of people.
• Shared system: VX Tactical is a dedicated, shared group system. It is not a personal device, meaning that when VX Tactical is deployed, it is a known shared resource and does not depend on someone's personal device that may or may not be available. For instance, if someone is late or not able to attend, others can still connect to the call.