Certified Refurbished Equipment Basics
A: Since 2001, Cisco has sold its high-quality remanufactured products under the name Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment. As the only Cisco Certified used equipment in the market, our products are available only through Cisco authorized resellers and distributors.
A: Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment is available in more than 80 countries. Please contact a Cisco remarketing account manager for complete details.
A: We carry over 2800 active (currently on the Global Price List) and end-of-sale products (no longer available new but with at least one year of support available from Cisco Technical Assistance Center [TAC]). Our inventory includes products from all technology areas, including switching, routing, wireless, IP telephony, security, and other advanced technologies.
A: Cisco refurbished equipment is ideal as a standalone solution when specific parts and quantities are needed, however, it's value is even greater when blended in a solution with new Cisco equipment. Cisco refurbished equipment works especially well in the following scenarios:
- Constrained budget: When budget is limited, Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment provides the maximum flexibility in procuring the technology you need. With prices up to 70 percent off original equipment prices, refurbished Cisco products provide a cost-effective solution individual product needs, or be combined with new Cisco products in a larger solution to reduce the overall cost and meet even the most challenging procurement requirements.
- Product availability: We maintain a large inventory of older or end-of-sale models needed to maintain installed network configurations or to optimize IT resources between planned migrations or upgrades. Our inventory of current models provides a solution if new product availability cannot accommodate your delivery requirements. In-stock products can generally ship within 24 hours.
- Compliance with corporate "green" requirements: Remanufactured equipment provides a tangible green solution to help customers address corporate "green" initiatives. A remanufactured unit uses less energy to "manufacture", helps to extend the useful life of Cisco products, and reduces the amount of electronic equipment ending up in landfills.
- Is Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment reliable?
- Does Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment come with a warranty? Can I get support?
- In what countries is the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program available?
- What types of Cisco products are available through the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program?
- Can Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment be financed through Cisco Capital?
- Can I work through my Cisco account manager or channel account manager to inquire about the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program?
- Do you sell products that have reached the end-of-support stage?
- Does Cisco support used, third-party refurbished, or Cisco equipment sourced outside of Cisco and Cisco Capital Remarketing?
- Is a Cisco software license transferable?
- Is the Cisco product warranty transferable?
- Are service maintenance contracts such as Cisco SMARTnet contracts transferable?
A: Yes. Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment has been remanufactured, upgraded, and thoroughly tested to meet Cisco specifications. Only the Cisco products that have successfully completed this comprehensive process come with the same-as-new product warranty and are eligible for the same Cisco SMARTnet support options as new Cisco products.
A: All Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment units are shipped with a valid software license and come with the same warranty as new equipment. Cisco SMARTnet support options are also the same as for new equipment.
A: The Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program is currently offered in more than 66 countries. Please contact us to see if the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program is available in your country.
A: Products available through the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program include active products (products currently on the Global Price List), end-of-sale products, and end-of-support products (products that are no longer supported by Cisco). All technology areas are represented, including switching, routing, wireless, IP telephony, security, and other advanced technologies
A: Yes. Cisco Capital offers a variety of easy and flexible financing programs. Combining these programs with Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment helps customers lower their total cost of ownership, reduce financial risk, realize tax savings, simplify operating budgets, and make the most of their capital budgets. Please contact your designated Cisco account manager or Cisco Capital channel account manager for assistance.
A: Yes. In addition to working with the Cisco Capital remarketing sales representative, you can work through your Cisco account manager or channel account manager to request more information on the program, to check on inventory availability, or to place an order.
A: End-of-support products have reached the end of the extended product lifecycle and are no longer supported by Cisco through warranty and Cisco TAC. Limited quantities of end-of-support products are available through the Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program by request only (these products are not listed on the Web portal).
To order these products, a signed waiver form acknowledging these terms must be completed by the customer and returned to Cisco Capital Remarketing before an order can be placed. Please contact your designated Cisco Capital Remarketing sales representative for end-of-support product inventory, waiver forms, and special ordering procedures.
A: Because there may be risks associated with using equipment sourced outside of Cisco and Cisco Capital Remarketing authorized channels, Cisco may provide technical and product support on a case-by-case basis. In order to be eligible for support, the following conditions must be met:
- A new software license must be purchased from Cisco (licenses are not transferable from user to user).
- The equipment must pass a physical, visual, and functional inspection performed by Cisco or a Cisco designated vendor. This inspection ensures the product is legitimate, fully operational, and technically sound. An inspection fee must be paid for this service, even if the unit fails the inspection. Requests for equipment inspections are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- A Cisco SMARTnet contract must be purchased (the warranty is not transferable).
A: No. Cisco software licenses are not transferable from user to user unless otherwise stated by Cisco or required by applicable law. Any purchaser of used or secondary-market Cisco equipment is required to relicense the software. For details on the End User License Agreement, visit:
A: No. The Cisco product warranty is nontransferable. A warranty is provided solely to the original end user of the equipment.
A: No. Standard service maintenance contracts are not transferable from user to user. Please contact your local legal counsel or contracts manager if you have questions regarding any specially negotiated terms.
- Why does Cisco offer Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment to its customers?
- When should I consider Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment?
- Why purchase Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment instead of used Cisco equipment from a broker or private party?
- How is the Cisco remanufacturing process different from what other used equipment vendors provide?
A: Cisco realizes there are times when buying a new product is not an option, and for timing, pricing, or technical reasons, customers may need products that are not available new. In these cases, it is important for us to provide a solution to meet your needs. By controlling the remanufacturing process and taking advantage of Cisco's network of authorized distributors and resellers, we can continue to provide you the end-to-end solution you expect, as well as the quality, reliability, and convenience of Cisco products.
A: Cisco refurbished equipment is ideal in the following situations:
- Short lead times: In instances where immediate delivery is needed, but the new Cisco product is on back order or has a lead time that doesn’t meet the delivery date, Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment can generally ship within 24 hours, and may ship on the same day it is ordered.
- End-of-sale products needed: Many customers with large installed networks have standardized on a configuration that may no longer be available as new from Cisco. Customers may be in the process of a network upgrade or transition or simply need spare product to supplement Cisco SMARTnet Service. The Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment program maintains a large inventory of end-of-sale SKUs to support these networks.
- Constrained budget: When you are faced with a limited budget, Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment provides the maximum flexibility in procuring the technology you need with no sacrifice in performance, quality, support, and value. With prices that are 25 to 70 percent off original list, you can combine new and refurbished Cisco technology to overcome even the most constrained budgets.
- Compliance with corporate "green" requirements: Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment is an easy and effective way to comply with corporate "green" initiatives. A remanufactured unit uses less energy to “manufacture,” helps to extend the useful life of Cisco products, and reduces the amount of electronic equipment ending up in landfills.
A: There are five good reasons:
Peace of mind: From sourcing to finished product to post-sales support, Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment provides you with the performance, quality, support, and value you have come to expect from Cisco.
Performance and reliability: Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment is completely remanufactured, upgraded to incorporate the latest engineering changes, and tested to factory specifications by trained Cisco remanufacturing technicians in state-of-the-art facilities. All parts and processes employed in the remanufacturing process are certified by Cisco and all units are backed the same warranty as for the equivalent new product.
Lowest total cost of ownership: Competitive pricing, no hidden costs (such as inspection and relicensing fees), and Cisco Capital financing options combine to make Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment a logical, safe, and financially prudent investment.
Extensive inventory: Cisco carries over 2700 different new and end-of-sale, genuine Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment SKUs in inventory. Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment is available through our network of over 40,000 Cisco partners worldwide and can ship within 24 hours.
Focus on your business, not your network: Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment is remanufactured to Cisco standards, backed by the same as new warranty and SMARTnet hardware and software support options (including 24-hour support), and sold through the same trusted resellers you rely on for new Cisco equipment. This enables you to focus on your business, not your network.
A: Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment differs from other used equipment in the rigorous remanufacturing process applied to it, including:
- Inspection, testing, repair, and restoration of default settings
- Verification of compliance of all performance, electrical, safety, and environmental standards
- Implementing engineering change orders and hardware/firmware upgrades
- Installation of the current shippable software release
All remanufacturing is performed by Cisco authorized contract repair manufacturers using Cisco authorized parts, processes, and standards. In addition, all processes are ISO 9001 and 14001 certified processes. The Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment seal signifies the performance, quality, support, and value that one expects with all Cisco products.
Used or refurbished equipment from third parties, as well as equipment sourced outside of Cisco authorized channels, faces the following risks:
Unknown heritage: The unit may be counterfeit, damaged, or missing critical product upgrades. Risks posed include security, safety, and network integrity.
May not be properly refurbished: The unit may have been inadvertently damaged during testing, may not have been completely tested, or may have been tested to lower standards than Cisco specifications.
Limited support: Support, if any, often consists of hardware replacement. However, with network intelligence increasingly embedded in the software, both hardware and software support are vital to maintain full network performance.
Higher total costs: Unknown costs may include hidden fees (including inspection and relicensing fees), network outage costs (support, troubleshooting, and parts replacement), and lost revenues due to business downtime.
A: Orders are sold through authorized Cisco resellers and distributors. Any Cisco registered partner can resell Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment.
A: Check inventory and quantities on our website:
- Go to www.cisco.com/go/remarketing.
- Click View Inventory and log in using your Cisco.com username and password.
- When logged in, click the Search Inventory tab. You may click the "Download inventory button to download the entire inventory spreadsheet, or type a part number in the search box. Type in entire part number, including RF.
- The quantity shown is available for immediate shipment. Contact the remarketing team for work-in-process inventory availability and dates.
A: If the product you are looking for is not listed, please email us at email@example.com or contact your designated Cisco Capital Remarketing sales representative. The product may not be listed for several reasons:
- The product may not have been assigned a part number.
- The product may not exist in our finished goods inventories at this time. However, it may be in the pipeline and available soon.
- In all cases, please contact your designated Cisco Capital Remarketing sales representative to find out if product may be available. You may also want to consider a similar version or a previous-generation version as appropriate.
A: If you cannot find the inventory you are looking for, please do the following:
- Call your designated Cisco Capital Remarketing sales representative to see what inventory is going through or waiting to be remanufactured. There are thousands of Cisco products in the refurbishment process (work-in-progress inventory) as well as in the pre-refurbishment stage. This inventory is not listed on the Web portal.
- Search for a similar version of the product. For example, if you are unable to locate the EMI version of the product, search for the SMI version of the product. We may be able to load the enhanced software image to convert it to the EMI version.
- Consider the previous-generation version of the product if appropriate. There may be other versions of the product you are looking for that may meet your needs. If you need assistance in determining an alternate part, please contact you designated Cisco Capital Remarketing sales representative.
- If you still cannot find the specific equipment you are looking for or in the quantities that you need, or if you need assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.